DNS Entries for 2 seperate Active Directory Domains over WAN

Hi,

I have 2 sites connected via a WAN. Site A has a Windows 2000 active
directory domain and SiteB a Windows 2003 domain. The domains are entirely
seperate with no trusts established.

If a SiteA user with a laptop travels to SiteB and plugs his laptop into
SiteB's LAN, what DNS entries would I need to add to SiteB's DNS server to
enable the user to successfully login to the SiteA domain from SiteB and vice
versa.

Thanks.

Lorimerc <Lorimerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 sites connected via a WAN. Site A has a Windows 2000 active
> directory domain and SiteB a Windows 2003 domain. The domains are
> entirely seperate with no trusts established.
>
> If a SiteA user with a laptop travels to SiteB and plugs his laptop
> into SiteB's LAN, what DNS entries would I need to add to SiteB's DNS
> server to enable the user to successfully login to the SiteA domain
> from SiteB and vice versa.

On siteA with the Windows 2000 domain, you need a secondary zone of the
siteB domain's zone. At siteB with the Win2k3 use the DNS management console
on the Forwarders tab, add a conditional forwarder with siteA's domain name
and the IP of siteA's DNS server(s).

Since there is no trust set up the users will still only be able to access
resources in their own domain. But at least each DNS server will be able to
resolve the user's own domain.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]