Sign in with
Your question

am turion x2 or intel core duo & new windows

Last response: in CPUs
August 23, 2006 7:58:10 AM

I want to buy a laptop & I read some articles that shows weakness of amd turion x2 in power & multitasking management versus intel's core duo but this examinations are based on 32 bit programs and theoriticaly when data process on a 64-bit cpu and mother board based ,it will be 2*2*2...(till 32 time) faster than a 32 bit based one & I think if this exams repeat with 64bit programs result obviously will be with turion, please help me to know if the future programs like windows vista & otheres are going to designe working with 64 bit? & if it is true ,the 32 bit core duo intel doesn't result any problems working on the future 64 bit windows? - please help me if turion 64 is better totally,what s u'r recomendation for me ?(hp with nvid or,acer,or ...) & if core duo is better what do u suggest(a 15" laptop with good performance ,graphic and sound)
August 23, 2006 10:11:06 AM

Here's my spin on it since no one has answered it yet. 64 bit is still a ways away from being mainstream especially in the mobile market. And I am referring to software, not hardware. Microsoft Vista is going to be a 64 bit operating system but with all the delays, it looks like it's going to be a while before we actually see it hit the shelves. Not only that, once it finally does hit, programs have to be written for it to make it tick and do what we need it to do. Now for the hard part, does one go 32 bit or 64 bit.

Well, it depends on your needs. IMO, 32 bit machines are still very much mainstream and they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I would just stick with what works best and currently, Intel has the best setup in the mobile market and I would certainly go with them. Intels chips work the best when paired together and that's why mobile performance is very good for them. By the time 64 bit is really mainstream, it'll be time for a new laptop.
August 23, 2006 11:21:21 AM

There were some fresh benchmarks about your question on the NEWS sesion. Basically Core duo won on the battery life and multitasking while the Turion X2 got slight edge on rough performance.
Get the Turion only if you do intense professional computing (2D or video editing, audio encoding or rendering) and battery life is not a concern.
Related resources
August 23, 2006 11:55:12 AM

If you can wait a month or so I would, because from what I remember Merom should be out by then. Merom is the mobile version of Conroe and therefore will be 64-bit enabled.

An actual review was conducted here

Just give it a month or so to acctually get released and you will not be disappointed. If turion X2 barely skates by agianst Core Duo (which has been out how long?) just think what Merom will do to Turion X2, it isn't going to be pretty for AMD.

From what I remember Intel said they want Merom shipping in very late August or, more likely, mid-september.
August 23, 2006 1:01:01 PM

So far Laptops with any new-gen features have almost no use for them Example 64-bit<haven’t found any use for them or there isn't any programs known being able to utilize 64-bit processing I know of so far. And Dual core on Laptops haven’t actually been showing much of any use either. So from TurionX2 and Turion there's no difference.
There's No advantage From a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo for at least the foreseeable future. Just get what you feel you need and what will serve your purpose not what seems cool and most expensive
August 23, 2006 1:06:43 PM

Quote:
Here's my spin on it since no one has answered it yet. 64 bit is still a ways away from being mainstream especially in the mobile market. And I am referring to software, not hardware. Microsoft Vista is going to be a 64 bit operating system but with all the delays, it looks like it's going to be a while before we actually see it hit the shelves. Not only that, once it finally does hit, programs have to be written for it to make it tick and do what we need it to do. Now for the hard part, does one go 32 bit or 64 bit.

Well, it depends on your needs. IMO, 32 bit machines are still very much mainstream and they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I would just stick with what works best and currently, Intel has the best setup in the mobile market and I would certainly go with them. Intels chips work the best when paired together and that's why mobile performance is very good for them. By the time 64 bit is really mainstream, it'll be time for a new laptop.

Linux runs sweetly in 64-bit :)  Enjoy the power of Turion X2! Wish I had one in my Compaq X1000 notebook. The way it is Mandriva 2006 is fantastic on it - it has everything you need from a productivity standpoint and flies.

If I were buying today, I'd jump at a Turion X2 and slap the latest Mandriva on it....egads, that would rock. Screw waiting around for Vista to come out in 2006, er, 2007, er 2008....well, before the end of the decade.

Believe me I'm not linux nut either, and I love Windows XP, but for my notebook, I'm a HUGE linux fan.
!