Kelly help please...windows xp pro install problem

October 25, 2004 2:07:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition. I
cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated. I do not get any error messages. TIA
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 2:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Windows XP Clean Installation - Partitioning and Formatting using Windows XP
CD
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/XPClean.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:MPG.1be7436f8c70134a989def@news.snet.sbcglobal.net,
Sky KIng <laughing@home.net> hunted and pecked:
> Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
> me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to
> install windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts
> all over again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a
> partition. I cannot get it to go any further. Any help or
> suggestions would be appreciated. I do not get any error messages.
> TIA
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 2:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi,

Not Kelly, but.....what did you use to create the installation partition?
WinXP's setup or a disk utility that came with the drive?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sky KIng" <laughing@home.net> wrote in message
> Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
> me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
> windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
> again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition. I
> cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated. I do not get any error messages. TIA
October 25, 2004 2:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Your drive may require a driver be loaded at the very beginning (when you
see the F6 message at the bottom of the screen). Is it an IDE or SATA
drive?

"Sky KIng" <laughing@home.net> wrote in message
> Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
> me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
> windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
> again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition. I
> cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated. I do not get any error messages. TIA
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 10:36:36 AM

Sky KIng wrote:
> Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
> me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
> windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
> again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition. I
> cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions would be
> appreciated. I do not get any error messages. TIA

During the reboot take the XP CD out of the drive. After the reboot is
complete and setup is continuing, place the XP CD back in the drive.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

October 25, 2004 7:00:23 PM

In article <OENTYhhuEHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> says...
> Your drive may require a driver be loaded at the very beginning (when you
> see the F6 message at the bottom of the screen). Is it an IDE or SATA
> drive?

IDE! How can I load a driver when I don't have an operating system
loaded? TIA

> "Sky KIng" <laughing@home.net> wrote in message
> > Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
> > me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
> > windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
> > again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition. I
> > cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions would be
> > appreciated. I do not get any error messages. TIA

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 7:00:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi, Sky.

IDE drivers are built into x86 motherboard BIOSes. SATA drivers often are
not, and must be added during the WinXP Setup process by pressing F6 when
Setup invites us to press that if we need to load drivers for a mass storage
device. It's a common problem with systems that include the latest hardware
(such as SATA) or onboard RAID. You didn't specify originally that you are
using IDE drives, so Colin's question is quite valid.

RC

Sky KIng wrote:

> IDE! How can I load a driver when I don't have an operating system
> loaded? TIA
>>
>> "Sky KIng" <laughing@home.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to
>>> me and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
>>> windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
>>> again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition.

Hi, Sky;

{nice name! <VBG>}

After the first Restart, when you see the "press any key to boot from the
CD...." message do NOT press a key. The system will then continue into the
XP Setup session from the core files already on your HD, and complete the
installation on the partition you selected.

--

....Sky

================
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 7:00:54 PM

In article <#kCrNchuEHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Rick \"Nutcase\"
Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> says...
> Hi,
>
> Not Kelly, but.....what did you use to create the installation partition?
> WinXP's setup or a disk utility that came with the drive?

Winxp's setup.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:39:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Sky,

Good, as a third party tool often causes issues. Try Tom Porterfield's
suggestion next.

--

> In article <#kCrNchuEHA.200@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Rick \"Nutcase\"
> Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not Kelly, but.....what did you use to create the installation partition?
>> WinXP's setup or a disk utility that came with the drive?
>>

> Winxp's setup.
October 26, 2004 5:26:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks all!

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Sky KIng wrote:
>> Hi there and thanks for your great web page. Its been a great help to me
>> and many others. I bought a new hard drive and am trying to install
>> windows xp pro on it. It formats and then reboots and starts all over
>> again. When I try to continue it tells me I already have a partition. I
>> cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions would be
>> appreciated. I do not get any error messages. TIA
>
> During the reboot take the XP CD out of the drive. After the reboot is
> complete and setup is continuing, place the XP CD back in the drive.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 10:48:41 AM

Kelly wrote:
> Thanks all!

No prob, good to see you.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

October 27, 2004 4:41:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thank you, Tom and same here. <w>

--

> Kelly wrote:
>> Thanks all!
>>

> No prob, good to see you.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 7:13:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello all, I have installed XP Pro. overXP Home but when reboot, I have two
WIN.XP Pro. one XP Home and one PC Recovery.I would like to delete the XP
Pro.that hasnt been configured yet. so as to remove it,how do I go about
doing it.They dont show in add and remove folder.
Thank You,

"Kelly" wrote:

> Thank you, Tom and same here. <w>
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly
>
> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>
> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
>

> "Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Kelly wrote:
> >> Thanks all!
> >>

> > No prob, good to see you.
> > --
> > Tom Porterfield
> > MS-MVP Windows
> > http://support.telop.org
> >
> > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:18:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I doubt that you really that many different installations of XP, you may
just have fouled Boot Paths in the Boot.ini file. To check:
Start/Run/type "msconfig" (minus quote marks)/click "OK". When the
System Configuration Utility opens, click the "Boot.ini" Tab. Then click
the "Check all boot paths" button. If any are identified as being
invalid, delete that specific one (s)
Gene K

!