Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI 1950xtx sucks (well, not as good as expected)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 23, 2006 10:01:03 AM

See it your selfATI's new DDR 4 X1950 XTX is a wunder kid

:(  Not as good as I expected, well, actually I'm disoppointed)

But with the price and new cooler, it is still a good card.


Was thinking about buying this card to have 7950's performance and simultaneous adaptive anti-aliasing and high dynamic range lighting effects.

Now I'm confused again. choosing between all effects enabled with ati, or speed with 7950gx2.
August 23, 2006 10:37:09 AM

Yeah, I can see your point, which is ablolutely right.

Thing is the more you expect, the more you'll be disappointed. Correct?

I was misled by the bench of quad SLI vs 2x1950txt the other day, that was when I was having this dream that a single 1950xtx is gonna be at least alittle bit better than a single 7950(dual core)......

right now I just need a card that has 7950's speed +AA+HDR, but I don't wanna wait for another 6 months to get a dx10 card. For that purpose, I wasn't happy at all this time.

Now can you help me to choose between those two?
August 23, 2006 11:30:41 AM

well it's not a next-gen card... just an upgrade to current technology. so in that respect, the card is quite good. decent price too.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 11:32:43 AM

That's the Inq, [H]ardocp was impressed:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE0NCwx...


Quote: "Overall, with very few exceptions, the ATI Radeon X1950 XTX provided a noticeable and tangible improvement in the gameplay experience over the Radeon X1900 XTX. Compared to the BFGTech GeForce 7950 GX2 it even performed better than that in some games, while in others they were even. Simply put, the ATI Radeon X1950 XTX won more games and scenarios than it lost them compared to the BFGTech GeForce 7950 GX2".

Plus they again talk abou ATI's better Image Quality.

The Inq and [H] are all I have time to read before work. Looking forward to seeing what other sites have to say about it.

Edit: Looking over FS a bit, it does seem like a very small boost and nowhere near the 20-30% over X1900xtx figures that have have circulated. I need to read alot more after work, but it is looking dissapointing, based on performance anyway.
August 23, 2006 12:30:11 PM

Of course 2 GPUs are going to beat one at insanely high resolutions. But how many people play at those resolutions. I have a 21" CRT monitor capable of them, but I don't use it. Things would be freakin tiny at that resolution and my eyes are already bad enough.

I care more about resolutions like 1280x1024 with max details on. Or even 1600x1200. Above that you're talking about a very small number of people who can afford to spend $1000 on GPUs AND $2000-3000 on a monitor.
August 23, 2006 12:32:40 PM

Quote:
See it your selfATI's new DDR 4 X1950 XTX is a wunder kid

:(  Not as good as I expected, well, actually I'm disoppointed)

But with the price and new cooler, it is still a good card.


Was thinking about buying this card to have 7950's performance and simultaneous adaptive anti-aliasing and high dynamic range lighting effects.

Now I'm confused again. choosing between all effects enabled with ati, or speed with 7950gx2.


you can only see the real power af the x1950xt with a top of the line cpu and components.....otherwise the card will be limited in it`s performance
August 23, 2006 1:02:55 PM

Quote:

I was having this dream that a single 1950xtx is gonna be at least alittle bit better than a single 7950(dual core)......


You were dreaming about this? :lol:  let me guess you don't have girlfriend yet do you? I don't mean to have a go at you but this is were it gets sad when people start to dream about this kind of stuff.

This card is more of enhancement of the existing X1900X-XT, its cooler, quieter, state of the art memory, its basically everything that was wrong with the existing X1900x-XT put right with a small performance boost to boot.
August 23, 2006 1:16:29 PM

I don't know it's something not too horrible to dream about.
I dream of dying usually but I'm always laying next to my girl so...

I'm just waiting/hoping they'll release some new cards soon.
Like X2000 and 8000 for ex. That way prices will drop on the 7900gtx/x1900xtx.
I don't planning on buying until Jan/Feb but would still like to see some significant drops by then ^_^
August 23, 2006 1:53:59 PM

Only the Inquirer could mess up a headline like this. I believe the expression is wunderkind.
August 23, 2006 2:07:02 PM

Got the price of 1950xtx on overclockers.co.uk.

it is 328 GBP= 485 Euro inc VAT, which is much more expensive than 1900xtx (287 GBP= 424 Euro inc VAT).

Now who said 1950 is cheaper than 1900xtx? It is even more expensive than the famous 1900xtx Toxic!!

Folks, prepare to be ripped off!!
August 23, 2006 2:38:31 PM

Quote:
Got the price of 1950xtx on overclockers.co.uk.

it is 328 GBP= 485 Euro inc VAT, which is much more expensive than 1900xtx (287 GBP= 424 Euro inc VAT).

Now who said 1950 is cheaper than 1900xtx? It is even more expensive than the famous 1900xtx Toxic!!

Folks, prepare to be ripped off!!


Uhhh,

Nobody said it was going to be cheaper than the 1900!
They said it will have a MSRP of $450 US Dollars.
The 7950s are going for $550+
It will be cheapear then the 7950s is all that was promised.
August 23, 2006 2:52:52 PM

ATI never claimed anything. :?
August 23, 2006 3:01:26 PM

Quote:
Of course 2 GPUs are going to beat one at insanely high resolutions. But how many people play at those resolutions. I have a 21" CRT monitor capable of them, but I don't use it. Things would be freakin tiny at that resolution and my eyes are already bad enough.

.



What are you talking about? Tiny? Maybe your desktop icons get tiny at higher resolutions but try playing a game at those resolutions. Your picture gets sharper and clearer.

hball
August 23, 2006 3:17:57 PM

Quote:
try playing a game at those resolutions. Your picture gets sharper and clearer


Some (only some) games are fine a very high resolutions. I would say that first person shooters where game play does not include a lot of on-screen text are top candidates for state of the art machines and extreme resolutions.

Other than that (think role-playing and other games where text is involved) any resolution higher than 12x9 is impossible. For example:

I play Galactic Civilizations 2. Everything looks fantastic at 1600x1200 except the game does not have an option to use larger fonts and I cannot read any of the empire management menus or research trees. As a matter of fact, the fonts are clear and large enough only at 1152x864 or lower... and I am playing on a 22" CRT.

Or imagine World of Warcraft if it did not have UI scaling: You have like 50 skill/spell/ability icons in your action bars. Do you think you would be able to easily distinguish between them at 16x12 or higher if the game did not have the option to increase the size of the UI?
August 23, 2006 3:22:32 PM

No one should waste thier money on this card.
August 23, 2006 3:26:34 PM

Quote:
try playing a game at those resolutions. Your picture gets sharper and clearer


Some (only some) games are fine a very high resolutions. I would say that first person shooters where game play does not include a lot of on-screen text are top candidates for state of the art machines and extreme resolutions.




Ah, I see your point. I hadn't considered games with text. Been a long time since I've played one of them.

hball
August 23, 2006 3:51:48 PM

I actually always scale my UI down... massively so I have more screen space.
August 23, 2006 4:26:38 PM

Quote:
I actually always scale my UI down... massively so I have more screen space.


Dude, stop. You are full of it. Most games do not allow to scale the UI at all. If you own 10 games, play 2 of them and they both happen to have UI scaling option then do not make misleading general statements like that. And I am willing to bet that the UIs you are talking about are NOT interactive, like the UI in FarCry or other shooters for example which only show your health, armor, weapon equipped and ammunition remaining...

If you can tell me in all honesty that you play WoW or any other game that has a interactive UI with text at 1920x1200 and you scale your UI down to absolute minimum then you must have robotic eyes or something or you are just full of $hit.
August 23, 2006 5:04:11 PM

Quote:
you are just full of $hit.


Reported.
August 23, 2006 5:05:58 PM

Umm yeah... <never> believe benchmarks released by an OEM... esp. ones that were "leaked." Me and others seriously doubted those benches released by ATI a couple weeks ago.

Regardless, for the money, the x1950xtx is a bargain. And IMO, the best card out there.

And I think the big story is Crossfire. ATI has finally priced crossfire cards at the same price. Further more, 1000mhz RAM is a breakthrough. ;-)
August 23, 2006 5:09:16 PM

Quote:
you are just full of $hit.


Reported.

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time
August 23, 2006 5:09:54 PM

I play ... err used to play ... Lineage II at 1600x1200 on a 20" LCD and it wasn't too bad, but I definately agree with your point. Shooters and RPG types (though not exclusively) are two very diffrent animals.

IMO the X1950XTX does its job well, esp for the given price. I have not heard the rumors of 20-30% like wusy, so I didn't have as high of hopes. I do have one question about it, has the actual power draw dropped or is the reduced temperature purely because of the new cooler? Just something to think about.

I personally would "upgrade" to a X1950XTX if it wasn't such a waste due to Vista and DX10. I say its a waste because I am already sitting on a 7900GTX (ok its not being used because I fried my 2nd DFI board, but still!). My guess is ATI just kinda tossed it together to see how DDR2 would work with their core and to spite Nvidia and their GX2.

What I am excited about is Halo 2 for PC... man thats supposed to be one pretty game. Anyways... back to school lol.
August 23, 2006 5:12:56 PM

I'll say it again, this card is just a statement about ATI's GPU design.
Both the R520 and R580 are capable of utilizing GDDR4, however the memory wasnt throughly tested and readily available (maybe in trace amounts)

So this card here is what the R580 SHOULD have been
August 23, 2006 5:13:20 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.
August 23, 2006 5:15:40 PM

Quote:
I'll say it again, this card is just a statement about ATI's GPU design.
Both the R520 and R580 are capable of utilizing GDDR4, however the memory wasnt throughly tested and readily available (maybe in trace amounts)

So this card here is what the R580 SHOULD have been


So far after looking at the benchies I am likeing my X1900XT more than ever before. :D 
August 23, 2006 5:38:24 PM

Quote:
I'll say it again, this card is just a statement about ATI's GPU design.
Both the R520 and R580 are capable of utilizing GDDR4, however the memory wasnt throughly tested and readily available (maybe in trace amounts)

So this card here is what the R580 SHOULD have been


Word.
August 23, 2006 5:46:05 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.

Slava <== Laughs

What is your problem, RobsX2? Lighten up. We will always have people who make misleading posts out of ignorance or inability to see the big picture. And we will always flame them to make them think broader next time they post. The purpose of the Forumz would be compromised if people came here and accepted erroneous advice or ideas. If you don't see how this is important, go ahead and report everyone :wink: Foolish n00b...
August 23, 2006 5:49:08 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.

Slava <== Laughs

What is your problem, RobsX2? Lighten up. We will always have people who make misleading posts out of ignorance or inability to see the big picture. And we will always flame them to make them think broader next time they post. The purpose of the Forumz would be compromised if people came here and accepted erroneous advice or ideas. If you don't see how this is important, go ahead and report everyone :wink: Foolish n00b...

Haha. LyK iM gun4 rep0rt j00000.

I can't believe i just typed that....
August 23, 2006 5:50:42 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.

Reported.

(Not really, but one is about as Report-able as the other.)

Synergy6
August 23, 2006 6:40:39 PM

Quote:
And we will always flame them to make them think broader next time they post.


Did you ever perhaps think that mabey just mabey people respond better to being corrected in a friendly manner instead of being a jerk to them? :roll:
August 23, 2006 6:41:23 PM

Quote:
And we will always flame them to make them think broader next time they post.


Did you ever perhaps think that mabey just mabey people respond better to being corrected in a friendly manner instead of being a jerk to them? :roll:

Don't be silly.
August 23, 2006 6:44:50 PM

hmm..... u wouldn't be a 2nd account of will14 would you?
August 23, 2006 6:46:36 PM

Quote:
Did you ever perhaps think that mabey just mabey people respond better to being corrected in a friendly manner instead of being a jerk to them? :roll:


Did you ever perhaps think that mabey (sic) just mabey (sic) people respond better to *not* being reported for a trivial post instead of being a jerk to them? :roll:
Synergy6
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 6:48:14 PM

Quote:
The Inq and [H] are all I have time to read before work. Looking forward to seeing what other sites have to say about it.


OMFG! I've been so busy at work and egtting ready to fly out East, I forgot it's F'in Launch Day !!! :oops: 

G-Dang-it! No time! :evil: 

Gonna read during lunch!
August 23, 2006 6:58:27 PM

Quote:

Did you ever perhaps think that mabey (sic) just mabey (sic) people respond better to *not* being reported for a trivial post instead of being a jerk to them? :roll:
Synergy6


Reported.
August 23, 2006 6:59:22 PM

Quote:


OMFG!


REPORTED.

Please watch your mouth. Not much worse you can say besides that.
August 23, 2006 7:00:18 PM

Quote:


OMFG!


REPORTED.

Please watch your mouth. Not much worse you can say besides that.

Is this some kinda new sport? How many people can you report in 1 topic....?
August 23, 2006 7:01:28 PM

Quote:
Reported
(spaming)


Reported.
August 23, 2006 7:01:52 PM

Quote:

Is this some kinda new sport? How many people can you report in 1 topic....?


Reported.
August 23, 2006 7:05:48 PM

Quote:
Everything the weiners on my hand have ever typed.


Reported to the Board of Human Intelligence. You sir, have failed.
Synergy6
August 23, 2006 7:06:25 PM

Reported
for reporting
for reporting
August 23, 2006 7:06:30 PM

Quote:

Reported to the Board of Human Intelligence. You sir, have failed.
Synergy6


Reported.
August 23, 2006 7:09:23 PM

Quote:
Everything the weiners on my hand have ever typed.


What u have a weiner in ur hand! LMAO
oops 4got


REPORTED
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2006 7:11:56 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.

Slava <== Laughs

REPORTED...... then DEPORTED !!! :twisted:

Quote:


LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time



Reported.


Reported.

REITERATED and REGURGITATED !!! 8O




Scully, you're cut.
Brooks, Groening, Simon, you're all cut.
Castellaneta, gone.
Kavner, cut, Cartwright, cut.
Smith, sorry, cut.
Azaria, Shearer, you're cut.
Firestone, you're cut.
So is Judge.
Namath, you stay.
All of those people are cut.
Johnson, Wolfe and Silverman are all cut.
Goldfire, O'Brien gone, cut!
Elliot, I don't know what you're doing here because you're all cut.
Pietela, Kuwahaha.
There's so many cuts here, look, I'll just post them up and you see where your name is.
Look how many cuts there are there.
Woah boy! You're cut. All of you!
You're cut. Hey, I cut you!

...

You're cut too, Shhushy!
August 23, 2006 7:16:28 PM

Quote:


REITERATED and REGURGITATED !!! 8O



Reported.
August 23, 2006 7:16:45 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.

Slava <== Laughs

REPORTED...... then DEPORTED !!! :twisted:

Quote:


LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time



Reported.


Reported.

REITERATED and REGURGITATED !!! 8O




Scully, you're cut.
Brooks, Groening, Simon, you're all cut.
Castellaneta, gone.
Kavner, cut, Cartwright, cut.
Smith, sorry, cut.
Azaria, Shearer, you're cut.
Firestone, you're cut.
So is Judge.
Namath, you stay.
All of those people are cut.
Johnson, Wolfe and Silverman are all cut.
Goldfire, O'Brien gone, cut!
Elliot, I don't know what you're doing here because you're all cut.
Pietela, Kuwahaha.
There's so many cuts here, look, I'll just post them up and you see where your name is.
Look how many cuts there are there.
Woah boy! You're cut. All of you!
You're cut. Hey, I cut you!
...
You're cut too, Shhushy!


what te hell??
August 23, 2006 7:17:44 PM

Quote:

LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time


Reported.

Slava <== Laughs

REPORTED...... then DEPORTED !!! :twisted:

Quote:


LMAO.

RobsX2 <------- wasted his time



Reported.


Reported.

REITERATED and REGURGITATED !!! 8O




Scully, you're cut.
Brooks, Groening, Simon, you're all cut.
Castellaneta, gone.
Kavner, cut, Cartwright, cut.
Smith, sorry, cut.
Azaria, Shearer, you're cut.
Firestone, you're cut.
So is Judge.
Namath, you stay.
All of those people are cut.
Johnson, Wolfe and Silverman are all cut.
Goldfire, O'Brien gone, cut!
Elliot, I don't know what you're doing here because you're all cut.
Pietela, Kuwahaha.
There's so many cuts here, look, I'll just post them up and you see where your name is.
Look how many cuts there are there.
Woah boy! You're cut. All of you!
You're cut. Hey, I cut you!
...
You're cut too, Shhushy!


what te hell??

Its Grapes sad attempt at being funny :roll:

Oh yeah....REPORTED.
August 23, 2006 7:18:24 PM

Quote:


REITERATED and REGURGITATED !!! 8O



Reported.

I think i have figured out the aims of this game. Is it to report someone for every 2 posts you make?

I wonder how pissed you're going to make the mods with all these reportings? Since you joined their workload has gone up 200%
August 23, 2006 7:20:12 PM

Quote:


REITERATED and REGURGITATED !!! 8O



Reported.

I think i have figured out the aims of this game. Is it to report someone for every 2 posts you make?

I wonder how pissed you're going to make the mods with all these reportings? Since you joined their workload has gone up 200%

Nah....keeps them on their toes!

REPORTED.
!