Sign in with
Your question

Different X-fi cards?

Last response: in Components
August 23, 2006 11:10:54 AM

I am looking for a new X-fi sound card, and there seem to be four different versions with different price tags. Would the cheapest version do just as well for gaming?

I know it comes with fewer connections and is missing some stuff like remote and a front panel, and some pricier 'gamer' versions have quicker memory. But is the cheapest version good for gaming hardware quality wise? Or to put it in different perspective, are the more expensive models worth their price if all you do is play games and listen a little bit of music?

I already have a Creative 5.1 speaker set, I suppose this would work fine with the X-fi?

More about : cards

August 23, 2006 1:16:19 PM

The Extreme Music Version will do just fine for games. The 2 highest end models have 64 megs of Ram on them so games can pre-cache a lot of the sounds on the hardware. The problem being the games has to be coded to take advantage of it. Only a couple of games (BF2 is one)take advatage of it and from what I have read the diffrence is minimal. It's not worth the $150 + more money. Apart from that if you don't need a front panel the Music version is the same card as the rest except for the 64megs of ram. I have been using the Music version since it came out and it is quite good.
August 23, 2006 1:22:07 PM

Ok thanks, looks like I am goign for the Extreme Music version then. You can get the bulk version even cheaper.

Odd name for the model though, Extreme Music. Something to do with 'crystallising' of MP3 files?
Related resources
August 23, 2006 1:24:34 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks, looks like I am goign for the Extreme Music version then. You can get the bulk version even cheaper.

Odd name for the model though, Extreme Music. Something to do with 'crystallising' of MP3 files?

It upsamples the mp3's in real time to 24 bit, really does make mp3's sound much better
August 23, 2006 1:33:40 PM

Right, it's just ad lingo, that's why I put the word in quotation marks. :wink:

It used to be that the more expensive cards were directed at music enthusiasts and the cheaper ones at gamers. With X-fi the setup seems to be the other way around now. I guess there's more money to be made selling expensive cards to gamers these days?
!