how to backup ad & dns?

my company got a server was running very unstable, and my boss wanted me
to format it. but the server is the Domain controller, so can any body
can help & guide me for backup the ad and dns? thanks alot.

--
alex1980
More about backup

    In news:alex1980.1vlil1@mail.webservertalk.com,
    alex1980 <alex1980.1vlil1@mail.webservertalk.com> made this post, which I
    then commented about below:
    > my company got a server was running very unstable, and my boss wanted
    > me to format it. but the server is the Domain controller, so can any
    > body can help & guide me for backup the ad and dns? thanks alot.

    All you need to do is backup the system state. That is an option that shows
    up in the backup utility. Have you looked at the backup utility or do you
    have a 3rd party backup?

    Active Directory Backup and Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/technologies/activedirectory/maintain/opsguide/part1/adogd03.mspx

    216993 - Backup of the Active Directory Has 60-Day Useful Life:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216993

    Chapter 9 - Active Directory Backup and Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsbj_brr_IXWO.asp

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
    respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply.
    Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
    this thread originated in so all can benefit.

    confers no rights.

Backup Domain Controller DNS Servers Windows