window 7 partition ONLY

neroneuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hello,
how can i use a partition only to install the window 7 for the easy to install and reinstall without any need to reformat the other partitions.what i mean, is possible that once i install windows 7, how can i make anything else to go on the other partitions automatically so that the smaller window partition will not fill up as then it seems that once is filled up, it is a problem to install other stuff? Is there a minimum size partition I need to use to do so for the w 7 only.Got no idea if I expressed myself clear, but I hope I can get in to the right direction. Anyway if I am asking for the impossible, what would be the best way to partition a let say 1 terabyte drive?how much for window 7 only etc...
thank You very much in advance, Alex

itfreedom

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hi Alex,

For partitioning I would recommend a free tool called GParted, you can use this tool to setup your partitions however you like, you can download an iso and make a bootable cd/usb.

I would recommend a minimum of 30GB for Windows 7, however more is better.

If you would like to install your software on a separate partition this is not an issue, you just need to point the installs to the path you would like. As for your documents music etc this is a little more awkward but there are several walkthroughs available:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUK279&q=move+windows+7+home+directories+to+other+partition&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

You don't need any tools but windows to partition a fresh install. Just create the partition at the beginning of the install process and then create others from "Disk Management". I'd not go less than 64 GB tho unless you are skilled at shrinking windows footprint as it grows rapidly over time ..... moving default program install location, user file location, mail storage location, removing windows undo files, temp files etc

neroneuk

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hi, thank you. yes that is always what I do more or less, but how can I default for everything to go on other drives automatically?
thank you, Alex

minimalist

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I don't think it is possible to default allocation of things to the non-boot drive.

You certainly would spend a lot of time in the registry doing that.

I also want to do what you are suggesting, so these are the things I arrange:
- Move the swap file away from the boot disk
I have not figured out how to move the hibernation file to non-boot.
- Install programs on non-boot.
To keep things simple, I just change the suggested install point C: to D:
and keep the directory structure the same
- Edit your environment variables, and direct TMP and TEMP to D:
- Move C:/User to D: .... working on the registery details for that,
because it is different in Win7 from WinXP

The result is a much smaller Win7 boot disk to create a Backup Image.
Usually, I backup the data disk at the file level, not image.