Does 16x PCI-E gives any advantage over 8x

I am just in the process of upgrading my motherboard. There are two motherboards I currently have in mind and that is the “DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert” and the “Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe”.

There are obviously a lot of difference between them but from what I can tell does the DFI come out slightly on top over the Asus apart on one feature.. the PCI-E slots. Where the Asus got two 16x PCI-E ports but thee DFI has only got 8x .

My question is really will there be any performance difference between a 16x and an 8x PCI port?

I am an avid online FPS gamer so frame rates are obviously important.

My current rig is has an AMD X2 4400+ and a Nvidia 7950 GX2, so I guess as far as through put there wont be many graphics cards that will put a higher strain on the PCI-E port than that… at least until the next card is released ;)

Let me know what you think

Regards
Jon
6 answers Last reply
More about does advantage
  1. OK the DFI it is then :D
  2. Whoa!

The 7950 is in effect 2 7900GT's slapped together - in effect running SLI.

With that I"d definately want the A8N32-SLI board cause you are jamming, in effect 2 cards into a 16x slot...if you add another 7950, that's 2 more into the other 16x slot.

On the DFI board you are jamming, in effect 2 cards into an 8x slot, and if you add another 7950 another 2 cards into the other 8x slot.

There IS a difference. The A8N32-SLI board rocks to high heaven!

I'd go that way without any doubts or qualms.
  3. No difference at all: no actual GPU is able to saturate the AGP 8x or PCIe 8x link, even the new X1950 with its 2GHz GDDR4.
  4. Thanks for all the reply, I really appreciate it.

I was already favouring the DFI as it was so I think I will go for it.

And this thing about future proof it... well I suspect when a new graphics card does come out that will saturate a 8 PCI-E, I will already be thinking of upgrading to a new CPU which no doubt will be on a different socket to the 939

cheers guys
  5. Well from my understanding (which is limited) is the problem not just about the gfx cards but also the CPU's capacity to shuffle enough data to the card.

But I should probably shut up :D as I dont really know
  6. Well regardless which process hinders the ability for a PCI express to reach its full bandwith potential, it is still a fact that the difference is slim to none between 16x and 8x.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI Express