juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
A friend of mine had changed his motherboard recently and got an Asrock motherboard. Keeping the same hardware ( video card, hard disk, cpu etc.). The motherboard was installed by a famous retail shop. Obviously the hard disk required a format and we successfully reinstalled Windows Xp With Sp2 and August 06 hotfixes ( we installed it on Thursday). Things looked ok after the installation. Then my friend had to install some software.

The problem is here;

1) when he logs into his user account, the found new hardware window pops up and it’s a “Pci…. controller” (forgot the full hardware name), then, on clicking cancel, all desktop icons including the ones on desktop, system tray, quick lunch disappear and even those on the log on screen ( although the text underneath the icon is still displayed) .

2) when trying to play need for speed underground strange lines off all sort of colors all over the screen ( like overheating symptoms). Then on closing the game, he gets a black wallpaper and no icons displayed.

3) Then made it to safe mode to check if the previous pci thing pops up, and it pops up. One thing to note is that safe mode graphics were very weird. Textured like interface! Made it to Properties >settings and color quality only made it to 4 bit. Is this usual?

Hardware : (4-year old build)

Geforce 4 MX
Asrock Motherboard ( new installed few days ago )
Fax modem
And he also has a pci card with ( 2 x S-VHS, 2x Composite Video, 1 input and 1 output for each) with a firewire port.

What could be the problem/?

I told my friend to remove the fax modem and tell the expert at the shop to have a look at the video card

all suggestions accepted

weilin

Distinguished
drivers my friend, you need drivers. Video drivers would probbaly fix your video problem, pci controller problem would be fixed if you install hte video capture card drivers etc.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
as the others have said,update your drivers and you should have no problems.but if the problems persist,you may have to look at a newer video card.It's a problem a friend of mine had.and we eventually installed a newer video card and the prob went away.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 RAM IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.CRT MONITOR

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
thanks guys for the reply

1) as regards to video card he is using the geforce 4 driver which came on the xp cd. does that make any differance ?

2) i don't know the model of the video capture card !! do u think it came with his geforce ?

the thing is people that i think the case of the tower is locked by the retail shop as it has no screws to hold the side panel. i tried about 3 times to open it with some force but stopped to avoid any hardware damage

ps: when i was having a look at the problem and loaded nfsu i had no BSOD

any other sugestions ?
thanks[/b]

edit
is this the driver i need ? nvidia drivers

select: graphics driver > geforce and tnt2 > win xp

Entering safe mode , device manager , unistall the video adapter and install the downloaded driver in safe mode.
Is this good to install the driver ? or there is a better way ?

thanks
i give it a try on friday when i go to his house again thanks

TRENDING THREADS