Fishing one network cable in wall?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

A friend in a medical office wants a network connection added. Bringing a
cable from the hub to the ceiling above the desk is a piece of cake. Getting
it inside the wall is ... well, I've never done this before.

The ceiling is suspended type with removable tiles. The wall is sheet rock
over metal studs. What is the easiest (only?) way to get a single Cat-5 cable
to its destination in this wall, a few feet off the floor?

Do these types of walls have fire blocking? Or other obstacles that would
require busting through the sheet rock to run the cable?

Thanks,

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
12 answers Last reply
More about fishing network cable wall
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >A friend in a medical office wants a network connection added. Bringing a
    >cable from the hub to the ceiling above the desk is a piece of cake. Getting
    >it inside the wall is ... well, I've never done this before.
    >
    >The ceiling is suspended type with removable tiles. The wall is sheet rock
    >over metal studs. What is the easiest (only?) way to get a single Cat-5 cable
    >to its destination in this wall, a few feet off the floor?

    In general, you should be able to drop a wire in from the top of the
    wall (may have to cut a hole in the sheetrock above the suspended
    ceiling), and cut out a box further down the wall. Usually, it's
    drywall and stud construction, though the studs may be metal.
    Electricians do this all the time, it's not rocket science, though
    experience counts for a lot.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    DaveC wrote:

    > A friend in a medical office wants a network connection added. Bringing a
    > cable from the hub to the ceiling above the desk is a piece of cake.
    > Getting it inside the wall is ... well, I've never done this before.
    >
    > The ceiling is suspended type with removable tiles. The wall is sheet rock
    > over metal studs. What is the easiest (only?) way to get a single Cat-5
    > cable to its destination in this wall, a few feet off the floor?
    >
    > Do these types of walls have fire blocking? Or other obstacles that would
    > require busting through the sheet rock to run the cable?

    If it's standard office type construction, it's just drywall over studs.
    Depending on the metal studs used, there may already be holes in it, for
    feeding cables through. If not, it's not difficult to punch a hole
    through. Then cut a hole in the drywall, below the hole in the top plate
    and use a fish, to pull the cable through. If the desk is away from the
    wall, you may want to consider a pole for bringing the cable down. There
    are many types available. Another method of coming down the wall, is
    conduit, that sticks to the wall, over the cable.

    Lots of options, depending on the situation.

    --

    (This space intentionally left blank)
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:01:15 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >A friend in a medical office wants a network connection added. Bringing a
    >cable from the hub to the ceiling above the desk is a piece of cake. Getting
    >it inside the wall is ... well, I've never done this before.
    >
    >The ceiling is suspended type with removable tiles. The wall is sheet rock
    >over metal studs. What is the easiest (only?) way to get a single Cat-5 cable
    >to its destination in this wall, a few feet off the floor?
    >
    >Do these types of walls have fire blocking? Or other obstacles that would
    >require busting through the sheet rock to run the cable?

    First you start by drilling a small hole above the ceiling. You need
    to find out if the wall is insulated. If it's hollow, fishing is a
    piece of cake :-) Fishing line, a sinker, a chain, or any other
    gravity fed device will work.

    If there happens to be an existing outlet for telephones, you can
    remove the cover and trace the route of that cable, it's a simple
    matter to hook a cable to the existing one and pull two cables down.

    If the wall is insulated, you have a bigger problem. Locate the stud.
    You want to drill a hole as close to the stud as possible, because you
    want to make your fishtape, green sticks, tent poles or whatever hug
    the stud as it goes down the wall. It's usually easier to fish from
    top to bottom, because you have a 2x4 inch hole to work with below and
    you don't want to make a big exit hole at the top.

    HTH

    Carl Navarro
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<1PWdnfFnFt7fRhfcRVn-ig@rogers.com>...

    > If it's standard office type construction, it's just drywall over studs.
    > Depending on the metal studs used, there may already be holes in it, for
    > feeding cables through. If not, it's not difficult to punch a hole
    > through. Then cut a hole in the drywall, below the hole in the top plate
    > and use a fish, to pull the cable through. If the desk is away from the
    > wall, you may want to consider a pole for bringing the cable down. There
    > are many types available. Another method of coming down the wall, is
    > conduit, that sticks to the wall, over the cable.
    >
    > Lots of options, depending on the situation.

    Carl's suggestion from way back, of using #12 jack chain attached to
    the end of the cable works well in a "typical" situation with no
    insulation. Standard 4-pair CAT5e cable fits through the links on the
    chain, so you don't need anything else to attach the cable to the
    chain. If there is insulation, I use a 8-10' section of 3/4" tape
    measure. Get it between the drywall and the insulation and push it
    down... it will continue to hug the wall. Use the markings on the
    tape to know when you've gone far enough. You may need to hunt for
    the tape at the bottom a bit, but it works well.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    All good suggestions.

    But I still need to know if fire blocking will be an issue in most offices. I
    know in homes, blocking between studs is common. If it is also in an office,
    it'd be a real pain to get a cable around it, I'd think.

    What's your experience?

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    DaveC wrote:

    > But I still need to know if fire blocking will be an issue in most
    > offices. I know in homes, blocking between studs is common. If it is also
    > in an office, it'd be a real pain to get a cable around it, I'd think.

    I've seen a lot of office drywall put up on steel studs and don't recall
    much in the way of things blocking cables. Walls between units might be
    another matter.

    However, as I mentioned in another note, if you can't go through the wall,
    you can always use surface mount conduit.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:16:44 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >All good suggestions.
    >
    >But I still need to know if fire blocking will be an issue in most offices. I
    >know in homes, blocking between studs is common. If it is also in an office,
    >it'd be a real pain to get a cable around it, I'd think.
    >
    >What's your experience?

    And now you want an answer that requires thought?

    No, it is not an issue in most offices. Geeze, what are they going to
    block it with? Buy yourself an "old work box" and a tube of fire
    caulk if ti makes you feel more comfortable.

    Carl
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    Carl Navarro wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:16:44 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>All good suggestions.
    >>
    >>But I still need to know if fire blocking will be an issue in most
    >>offices. I know in homes, blocking between studs is common. If it is also
    >>in an office, it'd be a real pain to get a cable around it, I'd think.
    >>
    >>What's your experience?
    >

    > And now you want an answer that requires thought?
    >
    > No, it is not an issue in most offices. Geeze, what are they going to
    > block it with? Buy yourself an "old work box" and a tube of fire
    > caulk if ti makes you feel more comfortable.

    He's talking about firestops, which are usually in the form of a piece of
    2x4 crosswise in the stud space.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:51:01 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Carl Navarro wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:16:44 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>All good suggestions.
    >>>
    >>>But I still need to know if fire blocking will be an issue in most
    >>>offices. I know in homes, blocking between studs is common. If it is also
    >>>in an office, it'd be a real pain to get a cable around it, I'd think.
    >>>
    >>>What's your experience?
    >>

    >> And now you want an answer that requires thought?
    >>
    >> No, it is not an issue in most offices. Geeze, what are they going to
    >> block it with? Buy yourself an "old work box" and a tube of fire
    >> caulk if ti makes you feel more comfortable.
    >
    >He's talking about firestops, which are usually in the form of a piece of
    >2x4 crosswise in the stud space.

    And the answer is still the same. NO.

    >> Carl
  10. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    I ran into a situation like that once. The cross piece was a metal stud
    and realistically I could not drill through it due to the toughness of
    the metal along with the placement of the stud. We just ran the cable
    down the wall in a stick-on conduit. Sometimes you have to sacrifice
    aesthetics for getting the job done. It was a commercial installation
    and all the other drops were in the wall, we just explained to them that
    this one was going to be different due to circumstances.

    Joe

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > Carl Navarro wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 23:16:44 -0800, DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>All good suggestions.
    >>>
    >>>But I still need to know if fire blocking will be an issue in most
    >>>offices. I know in homes, blocking between studs is common. If it is also
    >>>in an office, it'd be a real pain to get a cable around it, I'd think.
    >>>
    >>>What's your experience?
    >>

    >>And now you want an answer that requires thought?
    >>
    >>No, it is not an issue in most offices. Geeze, what are they going to
    >>block it with? Buy yourself an "old work box" and a tube of fire
    >>caulk if ti makes you feel more comfortable.
    >

    > He's talking about firestops, which are usually in the form of a piece of
    > 2x4 crosswise in the stud space.
    >

    >>Carl

  11. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    On 5 Nov 2004 13:25:16 -0800, my02explorer@yahoo.com (Michael Quinlan)
    wrote:

    >James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<1PWdnfFnFt7fRhfcRVn-ig@rogers.com>...
    >
    >> If it's standard office type construction, it's just drywall over studs.
    >> Depending on the metal studs used, there may already be holes in it, for
    >> feeding cables through. If not, it's not difficult to punch a hole
    >> through. Then cut a hole in the drywall, below the hole in the top plate
    >> and use a fish, to pull the cable through. If the desk is away from the
    >> wall, you may want to consider a pole for bringing the cable down. There
    >> are many types available. Another method of coming down the wall, is
    >> conduit, that sticks to the wall, over the cable.
    >>
    >> Lots of options, depending on the situation.
    >

    >Carl's suggestion from way back, of using #12 jack chain attached to
    >the end of the cable works well in a "typical" situation with no
    >insulation. Standard 4-pair CAT5e cable fits through the links on the
    >chain, so you don't need anything else to attach the cable to the
    >chain. If there is insulation, I use a 8-10' section of 3/4" tape
    >measure. Get it between the drywall and the insulation and push it
    >down... it will continue to hug the wall. Use the markings on the
    >tape to know when you've gone far enough. You may need to hunt for
    >the tape at the bottom a bit, but it works well.

    Make sure you wrap tape around the "hook" end of the tape measure to
    minimize it's chances of getting snagged on something as you pull it
    back up.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,comp.dcom.cabling (More info?)

    I'm fairly certain that after 4 and 1/2 months he has already run the
    cable.

Network Connection Ethernet Card Cable Networking