"My Computer" system folder freezes

When I double-click "My Computer" on the desktop, the folder opens, but
almost all commands (change a setting, my network places, my documents,
control panel) cause the "My Computer" window to freeze, and I have to
terminate it. I have no problem accessing the various system folders etc
from the "start" button.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

Clem.
7 answers Last reply
More about computer system folder freezes

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Second, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Note: you should always be well backed up before running an application of
    this type.

    If your system is clear of viruses, open Control Panel, open System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem. If you don't understand the information inside, the
    third button down in that dialog box will copy the information,
    you can then paste it into a message and post it here and maybe we can
    figure out what is going on.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "C. M. G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    > When I double-click "My Computer" on the desktop, the folder opens, but
    > almost all commands (change a setting, my network places, my documents,
    > control panel) cause the "My Computer" window to freeze, and I have to
    > terminate it. I have no problem accessing the various system folders etc
    > from the "start" button.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Clem.

    Michael,

    Thank you for your response.

    I use Trend Micro Internet Security, my pattern version is constantly
    (sometimes several times daily) updated, and a system scan finds no viruses.

    Ad-Aware SE v. 6._ w/ the latest pattern file finds only a few tracking
    cookies (deleted).

    I unchecked "Automatically Restart" as you suggested, but when I go to "My
    Computer" and click "Change a Setting," the system freezes until I close
    the window, and no blue screen is displayed.

    The event viewer shows the following info:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Winlogon
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 10/26/2004
    Time: 8:20:53 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: DELL04
    The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

    I followed that link and get this information:

    Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 1002
    Source: Winlogon
    Version: 5.0
    Component: Application Event Log
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
    Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

    Explanation
    The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell
    is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

    User Action
    No user action is required.

    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
    Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

    Explanation
    The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell
    is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

    User Action
    No user action is required.

    Related Knowledge Base articles
    You can find additional information on this topic in the
    following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
    . A security policy does not process restricted groups
    correctly
    If you configure a restricted group by using Group Policy,
    the membership list is incomplete when the group is processed by the client.
    This problem is indicated by events from the SceCle and Userenv sources in
    the application event log. For...

    I follow the link to

    Article ID : 320099

    but I do not, quite honestly, understand what that article is about.

    I imagine that this might be related to installing SP2?

    Any advice where to go from here? Should I use my XP CD and generate the
    "Check System Compatibility" report?

    All help is appreciated!

    Clem.

> [...]
    > by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well backed
    > up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    > System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    > and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    > Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore
    >

    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "C. M. G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >> When I double-click "My Computer" on the desktop, the folder opens, but
    >> almost all commands (change a setting, my network places, my documents,
    >> control panel) cause the "My Computer" window to freeze, and I have to
    >> terminate it. I have no problem accessing the various system folders etc

    Yes, I would run the System Compatibility Check.

    Also, check your device manufacturers websites for the latest drivers.

    Also, you might try temporarily disabling or otherwise uninstalling your
    antivirus as sometimes antivirus software can cause this type of issue. Do
    this as a last resort if none of the above help. If it proves to be the
    issue, you'll enact to contact Trend Micro for help with this issue.

    --

> [...]
    >> backed
    >> up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    >> System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver update
    >> and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    >> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore
    >>

    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "C. M. G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>> When I double-click "My Computer" on the desktop, the folder opens, but
    >>> almost all commands (change a setting, my network places, my documents,
    >>> control panel) cause the "My Computer" window to freeze, and I have to
    >>> terminate it. I have no problem accessing the various system folders etc

    Michael,

    Thanks again for your response.

    I tried to run the system compatibility check from the CD, but I get this
    message:
    Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
    newer than the version on the CD.

    Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
    currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
    recovered.

    I downloaded (what I assume to be the most current version of) upgrade
    advisor form Microsoft (v 6.0.2448.0), but I get the same error message.

    Meanwhile, I am working on the other suggestions you made in your reply.

    Any ideas why upgrade advisor/system compatibility check does not work?

    Thanks,

    Clem.

> [...]
    >>> download using that as this is a rather large download.
    >>>
    >>> Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    >>> card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not
    >>> use
    >>> Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and
    >>> if
    >>> you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being
    >>> unsigned
    >>> by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well
    >>> backed
    >>> up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    >>> System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver
    >>> update
    >>> and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    >>> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    Michael,

    since my prior response, I have made some other discoveries:

    1, drivers are up to date.

    2, I have created a new account, and that account does not have the problem
    with the "my computer" system folder crashing.

    Does this help in figuring out the problem? (I would prefer to continue
    using the old account because of the many settings associated with it...)

> [...]

    >>> download using that as this is a rather large download.
    >>>
    >>> Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    >>> card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. Do not
    >>> use
    >>> Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and
    >>> if
    >>> you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being
    >>> unsigned
    >>> by Microsoft. *Before installing any drivers, be sure you are well
    >>> backed
    >>> up and it's probably a good idea to manually create a restore point in
    >>> System Restore in case you have problems as a result of the driver
    >>> update
    >>> and note, System Restore is not a substitute for a backup. Start\All
    >>> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

    Obviously, something is corrupted in the old account but the information you
    posted from event log is symptomatic as opposed to causal.

    You might try downloading the compatibility checker from the following site,
    it is known as the Upgrade Advisor:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    --

> [...]
    >>> You can find additional information on this topic in the
    >>> following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
    >>> . A security policy does not process restricted groups
    >>> correctly
    >>> If you configure a restricted group by using Group
    >>> Policy,
    >>> the membership list is incomplete when the group is processed by the
    >>> client.
    >>> This problem is indicated by events from the SceCle and Userenv sources
    >>> in
    >>> the application event log. For...
    >>>
    >>> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >>>
    >>> I follow the link to
    >>>
    >>> Article ID : 320099
    >>>

    >>> but I do not, quite honestly, understand what that article is about.
    >>>
    >>> I imagine that this might be related to installing SP2?
    >>>
    >>> Any advice where to go from here? Should I use my XP CD and generate the

    Michael,

    I did get the upgrade advisor (version 6.0.2448.0) from the web site you
    suggested. I get the same error message:

    Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
    newer than the version on the CD.

    Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
    currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
    recovered.

    Any idea why I keep getting this error message?

    Thanks,

    Clem.

    > Obviously, something is corrupted in the old account but the information
    > you posted from event log is symptomatic as opposed to causal.
    >
    > You might try downloading the compatibility checker from the following
    > site, it is known as the Upgrade Advisor:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx
    >

    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "C. M. G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Michael,
    >>
    >> since my prior response, I have made some other discoveries:
    >>
    >> 1, drivers are up to date.
    >>
    >> 2, I have created a new account, and that account does not have the
    >> problem with the "my computer" system folder crashing.
    >>
    >> Does this help in figuring out the problem? (I would prefer to continue
    >> using the old account because of the many settings associated with it...)
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Clem.
    >>
    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yes, I would run the System Compatibility Check.
    >>>
    >>> Also, check your device manufacturers websites for the latest drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Also, you might try temporarily disabling or otherwise uninstalling your
    >>> antivirus as sometimes antivirus software can cause this type of issue.
    >>> Do this as a last resort if none of the above help. If it proves to be
    >>> the issue, you'll enact to contact Trend Micro for help with this issue.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> "C. M. G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

Control Panel Computers My Documents Microsoft Windows XP