Don't get MSI 975X for X6800 CPU :P

sony3127

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I got all my parts in yesterday (see sig) and installed everything. It all runs fine, but I am very disappointed in MSI's mobo that I got. The 975X Platinum does not live up to MSI's history of plenty of features and good OC support. Here's my list of gripe's...

1) You cannot set the multiplier above 11 on a X6800. (this is a 975X chipset, I don't understand why it doesn't have the option!)

2) Even when only using a single PCI-E slot, it only runs in 8x mode instead of full 16x (it's only supposed to be 8x if you have a card in BOTH PCI-E slots and it won't let me change it)

3 There's not even an option in the memory settings to set the command timings to 1T

4) It says it's Conroe ready... it recognized my X6800, but the timings it defaulted to were way off. For some reason it defaulted to a 66MHz FSB and 8x multiplier. I had to manually set the FSB to 266MHz and the multiplier to 11. Then it worked fine, but if it says it's Conroe ready you would think it should read these setting automatically... hmph.

So basically I took a gamble and lost. I have used MSI for the last 4 builds I've done and they have always had tons of options and features so I assumed that would carry over to this board. NOT SO. It runs stable, but not worth the $220 I spent for a 975X board. Honestly, I'm hoping that MSI comes out with a BIOS update soon that will fix/add these features as I have seen them do with a couple of boards in the past.

sony3127

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
yeah sorry... I posted it here and then realized that it should have been in the OC Mobo forum :p Here's what I posted in that thread though...

Ugh... well, I've decided to stick it out. I'm going to try and be a loyal MSI customer. They fixed issues with thier BIOS before so I'm just going to hope they do the same with this board.

On a brighter note though, I have OC'd my X6800 quite well with no problems so far. I just bumped the FSB up to 333MHz (1333 QDR) on STOCK voltages to get a 3.66 OC and it is just churning away! Did I mention this thing is DAMN FAST?! lol It's even staying pretty cool now... I think the AS5 needed some time to "cure", because now it doesn't even get over 42C at load while OC'd on air! (I haven't put my LCS together yet, I'm doing that this weekend when I have some time ;) ) I'm playing everything from F.E.A.R. and HL2: LC, to BF2 and AoEIII and this thing just FLY's! :D Anyone who can get one, GET IT! :D

(MSI, please read this and FIX THOSE BIOS ISSUES!!!)