Weird Strength Bug

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

For some reason, my strength keeps decreasing. It was 244 before (upped by
equ, training, and whatnot, not by cheating), but ever so often, it
decreases, and is now around 120.

There's no spells that I can see that is causing this. Also, I've removed
my equipment several times, gotten the Almisivinvivsvivisvi restoration
spell until my stats aren't red, but it doesn't go back up to what it was
before.

The equ I'm wearing/using:

Dragon Cuirass, Her hands left gauntlet (from Trib.), Wraithguard, Boots of
Running Paw (from Bloodmoon), Necromancer's Amulet, Nerevar Moon and Star,
Denstagmer's Ring, Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw, some magic shirt and skirt I got
from the ring in the pool quest, Her Hands Greaves (from Trib.), Elidon's
(sp?) shield. The weapons I use regularly are Keening, Daedric Bow,
Hopesfire (from Trib.), and the Nerevar Flamey thingy-doohickey (from
Trib.).

Is this just a stupid, weird bug? Or, do you think my character is screwed
up somehow, and I should restart it?

Also, if I were to re-install M/T/B, and save my save games, would that
work? Or would the game be screwed up, and I should just restart my
character?

Thanks.

Ye Holie Pope Emperor FrogMaN the Zermacroyd Guavahead, XXXQth
5 answers Last reply
More about weird strength

    If your strength boost came from Corprus, you will not restore the
    extra strength when you use magical restores such as those at the
    shrine if the strength is lost in some way (say disease or getting hit
    by a drain strenght spell). The bonus from Corprus above 100 only
    lasts until it is somehow lost.

    > Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    >
    > For some reason, my strength keeps decreasing. It was 244 before (upped
    by
    > equ, training, and whatnot, not by cheating), but ever so often, it
    > decreases, and is now around 120.

    This is most likely caused by being hit with a Drain Strength spell while
    having some item equipped that has Fortify Strength on it, or maybe by using
    a potion of Fortify Strength, including Sujamma, Matze, etc. Normally, a
    Drain Strength spell is temporary, and your strength returns to normal after
    it wears off. However, if you're currently under the effects of a Fortify
    Strength at the moment it wears off, you won't get your strength back. It's
    a very annoying bug, and it's bothered me for a while. Most often, it's
    when I have Boots of Blinding Speed on, which have a constant Fortify Speed
    effect on them, and I get hit by one of those Drain Speed curses by Bone
    Lords in a tomb. Every one of those hits causes a permanent drain on your
    speed until you take the boots off, restore the lost attributes, and then
    put them back on. (This is more annoying, since the process of putting on
    BoBS is more complicated than putting on most other gear...)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:43:06 GMT, "Pope Emperor FrogMaN"
    <uncle_toade@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    >
    >For some reason, my strength keeps decreasing. It was 244 before (upped by
    >equ, training, and whatnot, not by cheating), but ever so often, it
    >decreases, and is now around 120.

    No attribute can rise above 100 through training. Bonuses above this
    level are magical, and do not get restored except by recasting whatever
    effect granted them to you in the first place. If it's from CE
    equipment, just removing and reequipping is enough to restore the spell.

    >There's no spells that I can see that is causing this. Also, I've removed
    >my equipment several times, gotten the Almisivinvivsvivisvi restoration
    >spell until my stats aren't red, but it doesn't go back up to what it was
    >before.

    Restoration spells will only restore attributes up to the maximum value
    of 100. Extra strength obtained from spell effects will never be
    restored by shrines or spells.

    >The equ I'm wearing/using:
    >
    >Dragon Cuirass, Her hands left gauntlet (from Trib.), Wraithguard, Boots of
    >Running Paw (from Bloodmoon), Necromancer's Amulet, Nerevar Moon and Star,
    >Denstagmer's Ring, Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw, some magic shirt and skirt I got
    >from the ring in the pool quest, Her Hands Greaves (from Trib.), Elidon's
    >(sp?) shield. The weapons I use regularly are Keening, Daedric Bow,
    >Hopesfire (from Trib.), and the Nerevar Flamey thingy-doohickey (from
    >Trib.).
    >
    >Is this just a stupid, weird bug? Or, do you think my character is screwed
    >up somehow, and I should restart it?

    You had to do something unusual to get your strength over 100 in the
    first place, as this cannot be done in the normal game without abusing
    magic in some way, either via potions or corprus disease. If it was
    potions, make more. If it was corprus, presumably you've been cured, and
    you can't get it again, so tough luck.

    >Also, if I were to re-install M/T/B, and save my save games, would that
    >work? Or would the game be screwed up, and I should just restart my
    >character?

    I don't think that anything's broken, so this would probably be a waste
    of time. It shouldn't hurt, though.

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in

    >> Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    >>
    >> For some reason, my strength keeps decreasing. It was 244 before
    >> (upped
    > by
    >> equ, training, and whatnot, not by cheating), but ever so often, it
    >> decreases, and is now around 120.
    >
    > This is most likely caused by being hit with a Drain Strength spell
    > while having some item equipped that has Fortify Strength on it, or
    > maybe by using a potion of Fortify Strength, including Sujamma, Matze,
    > etc. Normally, a Drain Strength spell is temporary, and your strength
    > returns to normal after it wears off. However, if you're currently
    > under the effects of a Fortify Strength at the moment it wears off,
    > you won't get your strength back. It's a very annoying bug, and it's
    > bothered me for a while. Most often, it's when I have Boots of
    > Blinding Speed on, which have a constant Fortify Speed effect on them,
    > and I get hit by one of those Drain Speed curses by Bone Lords in a
    > tomb. Every one of those hits causes a permanent drain on your speed
    > until you take the boots off, restore the lost attributes, and then
    > put them back on. (This is more annoying, since the process of
    > putting on BoBS is more complicated than putting on most other
    > gear...)

    This is why I've made a small mod with Restore Attributes potions that
    have zero weight. I use the AddItem command to add 99 of these potions.
    When hit by this bug I just quaff a potion to fix it.
    Since it's a bug I don't consider this cheating, but it's annoying to
    have to un-equip and re-equip items like Mentor's Ring all the time. :-(

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    > >
    > > For some reason, my strength keeps decreasing. It was 244 before (upped
    > by
    > > equ, training, and whatnot, not by cheating), but ever so often, it
    > > decreases, and is now around 120.
    >
    > This is most likely caused by being hit with a Drain Strength spell while
    > having some item equipped that has Fortify Strength on it, or maybe by
    using
    > a potion of Fortify Strength, including Sujamma, Matze, etc.

    Thanks. I wonder if my Almalexia's Grace or whatever it's called, where she
    gives me permanent fortify strength, etc. was affected by it. I figured out
    it was a Wraith (from Giants Ultimate) who attacked me and drained my
    strength. Anyhoo, I removed all my equipment, went to a temple and restored
    everything, and then put my equ back on, and it went back to what it was.

    > It's
    > a very annoying bug, and it's bothered me for a while.

    I agree. The same thing happened to me when I had Keening and Boots of
    Running Paw equipped -- they're both + speed. I got hit by a drain speed
    spell, and I could never figure out why my speed wasn't returning to normal,
    until I restored all my attributes, and then my speed went back to what it
    was -- 122. I tried using the boots of blinding speed once, but it gave me
    a headache and made me feel a bit nauseous because my character was moving
    so fast.

Games Video Games