Canon MP760 Printing vertical bars

derry

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
-derry

zakezuke

> JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER.
> A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER. IF
> YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON 4180
> SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.

The mp760 has no fax modem on board, and in fact the scanner
springboard doesn't support faxing from your local fax modem. You'd
have to get that anyway.

BURT

Right goup. Several people are helpful with Canon printers here. In
addition to this NG you can go onto the Nifty-stuff Forum at
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ as there are a lot of people who know
Canon printers and can diagnose problems quite well. There is also a Canon
Forum, but I don't know the link. If there is anything wrong with it,
however, use your warranty.

"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
> strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
> the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
> it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
> to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
> has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
> I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
> -derry

If it is still under warranty I would get it replaced. I would not
listen to advice of that sort from any reader in this ng. I would make
sure you only use OEM Canon ink. Also make sure you test the device
using Canon photo paper and a high quality injet paper like Hammermill,
Staples or Office Depot.

derry wrote:

>Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
>strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
>the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
>it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
>to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
>has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
>I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
>-derry

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:
...I would not
> listen to advice of that sort from any reader in this ng....

<--------------------------------------------------------->

He's talking about himself as the reader you should never listen to. He
has one printer and never uses it yet gives out misinformation on every
printer ever made to every poster in this ng. Don't believe a word he says.
Everyone here knows about him as he is our resident troll.
Avoid his advice like it was poison.
Frank

Burt wrote:

>Right goup. Several people are helpful with Canon printers here.

Except for a few individuals who will tell you to use AfterMarket ink to
clog your printer.

>In
>addition to this NG you can go onto the Nifty-stuff Forum at
>http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

Some good information but beware it is from the same group of hobbyists
and tinkerers so of whom are in this ng but present themselves there
under a different name.

>as there are a lot of people who know
>Canon printers and can diagnose problems quite well.

Yeah Dr. Canon. If you want an answer to your problem I would call
Canon. I think they know the equipment they designed and built better
than a tinkerer wanabe expert you will find here.

>There is also a Canon
>Forum, but I don't know the link. If there is anything wrong with it,
>however, use your warranty.
>
>"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
>>strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
>>the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
>>it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
>>to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
>>has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
>>I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
>>-derry

BURT

Derry - Pay no attention to measekite. He follows every one of my posts
with criticism meant to demean my responses. He is our very own newsgroup
troll pain in the butt. He has a pathologic committment to steer people
away from aftermarket inks, something neither you nor I mentioned. That
might be the subject for another discussion, but you asked about your
printer malfunction and we should stick to that subject. When you say
"replace the print head" did you mean to remove and replace the same print
head that came with the unit to see that it is securely and correctly in
place? Did they ask you anything about your ink cartridges? If you aren't
experienced with these printers you may have a problem with how you prepared
and inserted them. Are they securely in place and locked down with a
"click"? Did you take the tape off the top of the air vent? Did you leave
the tape covering the remainder of the air vent passage on which the label
is printed? These may seem to be simple questions, but inexperienced people
have made errors in how they install the cartridges. Without an open air
vent the cartridge can not deliver ink for printing. If you open the entire
air vent area by removing too much tape you risk permitting too much ink to
flow from any cartridge that has been improperly prepared and flooding the
area under that cartridge and causing problems with printing.

To evaluate very evident banding or vertical strips, you don't have to use
any special paper. For very subtle banding or stripes you will need to use
some sort of photo or coated paper so the ink doesn't sink into the paper
fibers and spread, thus obscuring the printed pattern. Did you run a nozzle
check? That will tell you which nozzle(s) are malfunctioning. I believe
you were also supposed to run a cleaning cycle to get the ink flowing
initially when doing the setup. By the way, it is not unheard of to get a
faulty cartridge from the printer manufacturer. Rare, but possible. The
nozzle check will probably tell you where the problem lies.

Depending on where you bought it you may have a limited period of time to
return it and get another. Otherwise you will have to deal with Canon for
them to honor your warranty.

And -- contrary to what Measekite says about the Nifty Forum (on which I am
an occasional moderator) there are people there who are great at helping you
to pinpoint the source of your problem.

"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
> strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
> the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
> it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
> to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
> has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
> I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
> -derry

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Derry
Does this happen only when you photocopy or does it happen when you print from
the PC? If it is only with a photocopy , does your model come with an automatic
document feeder and if so does it fail using this or the flatbed scanner? There
are important technical differences between these copying methods and depending
on the answer you may be able to clean the document feeder window (might have
something stuck on there, quite a common problem).
If it only happens when photocopying then probably there is an optical problem
and the optics may need cleaning. If it happens when printing from the PC then
I suggest you get warranty support immediately.
Tony

"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
>strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
>the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
>it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
>to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
>has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
>I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
>-derry

JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER. A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER. IF
YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON 4180
SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.

IF YOU CANNOT RETURN IT THEN JUST CALL CANON FOR WARRANTY SERVICE OR
TECH SUPPORT IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTLY. BE SURE TO USE OEM CANON INK.

Tony wrote:

>Derry
>Does this happen only when you photocopy or does it happen when you print from
>the PC? If it is only with a photocopy , does your model come with an automatic
>document feeder and if so does it fail using this or the flatbed scanner? There
>are important technical differences between these copying methods and depending
>on the answer you may be able to clean the document feeder window (might have
>something stuck on there, quite a common problem).
>If it only happens when photocopying then probably there is an optical problem
>and the optics may need cleaning. If it happens when printing from the PC then
>I suggest you get warranty support immediately.
>Tony
>

>"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
>>strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
>>the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
>>it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
>>to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
>>has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
>>I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
>>-derry

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER. A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER. IF
> YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON 4180
> SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.
>
> IF YOU CANNOT RETURN IT THEN JUST CALL CANON FOR WARRANTY SERVICE OR
> TECH SUPPORT IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTLY. BE SURE TO USE OEM CANON INK.
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Stop your stupid YELLING! Are you deaf or what?
Frank

zakezuke

> I MEANT THE 780

Why would the 780 be better? It's sort of a coin toss between the 760
and the 780 whether you want the sheet feeder and modem or if you want
the color tilt screen and 35mm scanner. I think the mp780 might have
an xD slot as well but I can't remember, I know the 760 does not.

But oddly enough the mp760 tends to go for more money than the mp780
even though a sheet feeder it more complex than a simple backlight, not
to speak of the modem.

BURT

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
(snip)

> AH THE TECHNICIAN. CALL CANON. THEY WILL ASK THE RIGHT QUESTION AND CAN
> HELP YOU. THAT SEEMS LOGICAL ADVICE. THEY HAVE AN 800 SUPPORT NUMBER AND
> IT IS FREE. WHY WOULD YOU WANTG TO ASK THESE JERKS WHEN YOU CAN GET FREE
> REAL SUPPORT.

If the manuracturers' technicians really gave fully comrehensive advice
there would be no need for people try to get their questions answered on
newsgroups of forums such as this one.

>>Did they ask you anything about your ink cartridges? If you aren't
>>experienced with these printers you may have a problem with how you
>>prepared and inserted them.
>
> NOT IF HE READ THE MANUAL. EVEN THE SHORT MINI MANUAL.

Right, measekite, but some people don't or don't quite follow the directions
properly and need a helping hand. They certainly don't get it from your
rants, name calling, and shouting.

(snip)

> OH YEAH, THEY ARE BETTER THAN CANON WHO HAS ELEVATED SUPPORT.

In some areas they actually are. I have seen participants with a problem
upload a scan of a test print to the Nifty forum and one of the moderators
did a color separation technique that helped to determine which jets were
not firing properly. more accurate than the nozzle check . I have yet to
hear about Canon "elevated support" telling people how to clear a print head
clog (yes, OEM inks will clog also) after they have blown through megabucks
worth of OEM inks with the cleaning cycles. Where Canon "elevated support"
leaves off, there are experienced users who sometimes know just the trick
that will work to restore proper printer function.

(snip)

Derry, You figure out who the troll is and who is trying to help you with
your problem.

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>(snip)
>

>>AH THE TECHNICIAN. CALL CANON. THEY WILL ASK THE RIGHT QUESTION AND CAN
>>HELP YOU. THAT SEEMS LOGICAL ADVICE. THEY HAVE AN 800 SUPPORT NUMBER AND
>>IT IS FREE. WHY WOULD YOU WANTG TO ASK THESE JERKS WHEN YOU CAN GET FREE
>>REAL SUPPORT.
>>

>If the manuracturers' technicians really gave fully comrehensive advice
>there would be no need for people try to get their questions answered on
>newsgroups of forums such as this one.

hahahahaha or hehehehehe

>>>Did they ask you anything about your ink cartridges? If you aren't
>>>experienced with these printers you may have a problem with how you
>>>prepared and inserted them.
>>>

>>NOT IF HE READ THE MANUAL. EVEN THE SHORT MINI MANUAL.
>>

>Right, measekite, but some people don't or don't quite follow the directions
>properly and need a helping hand.

not yours it probably is too busy.

>They certainly don't get it from your
>rants, name calling, and shouting.
>

>(snip)
>

>>OH YEAH, THEY ARE BETTER THAN CANON WHO HAS ELEVATED SUPPORT.

snip

>(snip)
>
>Derry, You figure out who the troll is and who is trying to help you with
>your problem.

I THINK HE ALREADY HAS AND IT IS U

> JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER. A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER. IF
> YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON 4180
> SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.
>
> IF YOU CANNOT RETURN IT THEN JUST CALL CANON FOR WARRANTY SERVICE OR TECH
> SUPPORT IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTLY. BE SURE TO USE OEM CANON INK.

HE didn't ask about ink. Thanks again for keeping the ink argument alive as
it will raise the question about aftermarket inks with everyone you
gratuitously offer this advice to. You are inadverdently acting as the best
sales rep for non-OEM inks on this NG. This is known, measekite, as the
inevitability of unintended consequences.
(snip)

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Derry
Just for clarification - the reason I gave the advice I did is because if the
printer is in warranty and the problem is related to the ADF and turns out to
be dirty optics you will probably be billed by the repairer, a great pity since
the optics are simple to clean. If on the other hand, the problem is printer
related then it is probably going to require a qualified warranty/service
agent. Vertical strips on inkjet printers are almost never caused by a failed
printhead, they are usually caused either by ink on the rollers or if they only
happen during scan to print (photocopying) by drity optics.
Please do not let the resident troll put you off, there are plenty of people
here willing to provide real help.
Tony

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>>JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER. A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER. IF
>>YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON 4180
>>SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.
>>
>>IF YOU CANNOT RETURN IT THEN JUST CALL CANON FOR WARRANTY SERVICE OR TECH
>>SUPPORT IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTLY. BE SURE TO USE OEM CANON INK.
>>

>HE didn't ask about ink. Thanks again for keeping the ink argument alive as
>it will raise the question about aftermarket inks with everyone you
>gratuitously offer this advice to.

DO U DINK EYE KARE AWBOOT ANETING U SAE

> You are inadverdently acting as the best
>sales rep for non-OEM inks on this NG.

ME DONT KARE

zakezuke wrote:

>>JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER.
>>A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER. IF
>>YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON 4180
>>SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.
>>

>The mp760 has no fax modem on board, and in fact the scanner
>springboard doesn't support faxing from your local fax modem. You'd
>have to get that anyway.

I MEANT THE 780

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>> JUST RETURN IT IF YOU CAN AND GET ANOTHER. A MP760 WOULD BE BETTER.
>> IF YOU CAN RETURN IT I WOULD GET A CANON IP4000 PRINTER, AN EPSON
>> 4180 SCANNER, AND SOME GOOD FAX SOFTWARE.
>>
>> IF YOU CANNOT RETURN IT THEN JUST CALL CANON FOR WARRANTY SERVICE OR
>> TECH SUPPORT IF IT IS OUT OF WARRANTLY. BE SURE TO USE OEM CANON INK.
>
> <---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
>

> Stop your stupid YELLING! Are you deaf or what?
> Frank

UUUUUUU RRRRRRR STOOOOOOOO PID HEHEHEHEHEHE OHOH HAHAHAHAHA

SNIFFIT

Tony wrote:

>Derry
>Just for clarification - the reason I gave the advice I did is because if the
>printer is in warranty and the problem is related to the ADF and turns out to
>be dirty optics you will probably be billed by the repairer,

NOT IN DA USA

> a great pity since
>the optics are simple to clean. If on the other hand, the problem is printer
>related then it is probably going to require a qualified warranty/service
>agent.

ONLY THE MFG HAVE THE QUALIFIED PEOPLE. THEY KNOW BEST WHAT THEY DESIGN
AND BUILD AND HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR SPECIFIC MODELS.

>Vertical strips on inkjet printers are almost never caused by a failed
>printhead, they are usually caused either by ink

ESPECIALLY AFTERMARKET INK

>on the rollers or if they only
>happen during scan to print (photocopying) by drity optics.
>Please do not let the resident troll put you off, there are plenty of people
>here willing to provide real help.
>Tony

OH YEAH SURE DAY R

>Tony <> wrote:
>

>>Derry
>>Does this happen only when you photocopy or does it happen when you print from
>>the PC? If it is only with a photocopy , does your model come with an
>>automatic
>>document feeder and if so does it fail using this or the flatbed scanner?
>>There
>>are important technical differences between these copying methods and
>>depending
>>on the answer you may be able to clean the document feeder window (might have
>>something stuck on there, quite a common problem).
>>If it only happens when photocopying then probably there is an optical problem
>>and the optics may need cleaning. If it happens when printing from the PC then
>>I suggest you get warranty support immediately.
>>Tony
>>

>>"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
>>>strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
>>>the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
>>>it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
>>>to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
>>>has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
>>>I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
>>>-derry

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Derry
Cleaning the optics is a user responsibility and not covered by warranty and is
almost definitely chargeable work anywhere in the world.
The majority of repairs to Canon, Epson, HP etcetera are done by qualified
certified service agents. There are very few printer companies who do their own
routine or warranty servicing, there are very sound commercial and service
quality reasons for this.
Good luck
Tony

Tony <> wrote:
>Derry
>Just for clarification - the reason I gave the advice I did is because if the
>printer is in warranty and the problem is related to the ADF and turns out to
>be dirty optics you will probably be billed by the repairer, a great pity
>since
>the optics are simple to clean. If on the other hand, the problem is printer
>related then it is probably going to require a qualified warranty/service
>agent. Vertical strips on inkjet printers are almost never caused by a failed
>printhead, they are usually caused either by ink on the rollers or if they
>only
>happen during scan to print (photocopying) by drity optics.
>Please do not let the resident troll put you off, there are plenty of people
>here willing to provide real help.
>Tony
>
>Tony <> wrote:
>>Derry
>>Does this happen only when you photocopy or does it happen when you print
>>from
>>the PC? If it is only with a photocopy , does your model come with an
>>automatic
>>document feeder and if so does it fail using this or the flatbed scanner?
>>There
>>are important technical differences between these copying methods and
>>depending
>>on the answer you may be able to clean the document feeder window (might have
>>something stuck on there, quite a common problem).
>>If it only happens when photocopying then probably there is an optical
>>problem
>>and the optics may need cleaning. If it happens when printing from the PC
>>then
>>I suggest you get warranty support immediately.
>>Tony
>>

>>"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>Am having problems with a brand new Canon Pixma MP760 printing vertical
>>>strips on every page, both color and b/w. I've called tech support and
>>>the last two answers I got were 1.) replace the print head and 2.) take
>>>it to a service center. I've replaced the print head. Before taking it
>>>to the service center I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else
>>>has experienced this problem. Apologies if this is the wrong group, but
>>>I didn't see one specific to Canon printers. Thanks in advance,
>>>-derry

derry

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

Thanks for the reply Burt. My answers.
>When you say "replace the print head" did you mean to remove and replace the same print
>head that came with the unit to see that it is securely and correctly in place?
Yes, per the Canon support tech. They also sent me a replacement print
head free of charge, which I installed following the instructions
included with the print head.
>Did they ask you anything about your ink cartridges?
Yeap, the tech seemed to think there was not a problem with the ink
cartridges. These are the original cartridges that came with the
printer, ahem, not OEM :). I bought the printer new less than a month
ago. The tape has been removed and they did 'click' into place.
>Did you run a nozzle check?
Several times. And deep cleaning several times.
>The nozzle check will probably tell you where the problem lies.
When the nozzle check is ran, you can see the 3 colors shift to the
left only on the character print out section. This section is about 1
and 1/2 inches from the left margin. Regarding the strips printing in
b/w, I believe the printout I tested this on may be using the color
inks to generate the black. On the nozzle check the black section looks
fine compared to the color sections. Since it's under warranty I plan
on taking it in to be repaired. If anyone is interested I can post the
results here. Thanks.

BURT

> Thanks for the reply Burt. My answers.
>>When you say "replace the print head" did you mean to remove and replace
>>the same print
>>head that came with the unit to see that it is securely and correctly in
>>place?
> Yes, per the Canon support tech. They also sent me a replacement print
> head free of charge, which I installed following the instructions
> included with the print head.
>>Did they ask you anything about your ink cartridges?
> Yeap, the tech seemed to think there was not a problem with the ink
> cartridges. These are the original cartridges that came with the
> printer, ahem, not OEM :). I bought the printer new less than a month
> ago. The tape has been removed and they did 'click' into place.
>>Did you run a nozzle check?
> Several times. And deep cleaning several times.
>>The nozzle check will probably tell you where the problem lies.
> When the nozzle check is ran, you can see the 3 colors shift to the
> left only on the character print out section. This section is about 1
> and 1/2 inches from the left margin. Regarding the strips printing in
> b/w, I believe the printout I tested this on may be using the color
> inks to generate the black. On the nozzle check the black section looks
> fine compared to the color sections. Since it's under warranty I plan
> on taking it in to be repaired. If anyone is interested I can post the
> results here. Thanks.

Please do post what the problem was. Helpful to all who would have a
similar problem with this unit. Unfortunately I was so focused on the
printing function that I didn't think about the scanning optics as being a
problem! Thanks to Tony, who has infinitely more experience with all
printers, for delving into that issue. What I didn't ask was the nature of
the "stripes". Was it white stripes that would possibly be from lack of ink
flow, and were they in the direction of the printhead travel, or were they
stripes of ink applied to the paper, possibly from paper transport elements
picking up ink and transfering it to the paper or, as Tony mentioned,
problems with the optics or foreign material in the scanning system. I
have never used an all-in-one unit, but I can not see Tony's point when
considering what problems I have seen from scanners and fax machines and
"stripes" from the scanning area.

Burt wrote:

>"derry" <derrydavis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Thanks for the reply Burt. My answers.
>>

>>>When you say "replace the print head" did you mean to remove and replace
>>>the same print
>>>head that came with the unit to see that it is securely and correctly in
>>>place?
>>>

>>Yes, per the Canon support tech. They also sent me a replacement print
>>head free of charge, which I installed following the instructions
>>included with the print head.
>>

>>>Did they ask you anything about your ink cartridges?
>>>

>>Yeap, the tech seemed to think there was not a problem with the ink
>>cartridges. These are the original cartridges that came with the
>>printer, ahem, not OEM :). I bought the printer new less than a month
>>ago. The tape has been removed and they did 'click' into place.
>>

>>>Did you run a nozzle check?
>>>

>>Several times. And deep cleaning several times.
>>

>>>The nozzle check will probably tell you where the problem lies.
>>>

>>When the nozzle check is ran, you can see the 3 colors shift to the
>>left only on the character print out section. This section is about 1
>>and 1/2 inches from the left margin. Regarding the strips printing in
>>b/w, I believe the printout I tested this on may be using the color
>>inks to generate the black. On the nozzle check the black section looks
>>fine compared to the color sections. Since it's under warranty I plan
>>on taking it in to be repaired. If anyone is interested I can post the
>>results here. Thanks.
>>

>Please do post what the problem was. Helpful to all who would have a
>similar problem with this unit. Unfortunately I was so focused on the
>printing function that I didn't think about the scanning optics as being a
>problem!

I think you were too focused on the aftermarket ink problem being exposed.

>Thanks to Tony, who has infinitely more experience with all
>printers, for delving into that issue.

In the business of competing with the mfg.

>What I didn't ask was the nature of
>the "stripes". Was it white stripes that would possibly be from lack of ink
>flow, and were they in the direction of the printhead travel, or were they
>stripes of ink applied to the paper, possibly from paper transport elements
>picking up ink and transfering it to the paper or, as Tony mentioned,
>problems with the optics or foreign material in the scanning system. I
>have never used an all-in-one unit, but I can not see Tony's point when
>considering what problems I have seen from scanners and fax machines and
>"stripes" from the scanning area.

BURT

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message

(snip)

>>These are the original cartridges that came with the printer,
>
> I think you were too focused on the aftermarket ink problem being exposed.

Measekite - he was using the original carts that came with the unit. You
are too focused on declaring that every printer problem in the universe is
caused by non-OEM inks.

(snip)

>>Thanks to Tony, who has infinitely more experience with all printers, for
>>delving into that issue.
>
> In the business of competing with the mfg.

Most of the manufacturers, Canon included, use independant repair facilities
for their waranty repairs. Your continual efforts to slam Tony, one of the
most helpful people on this NG.

(snip)

Glad too see that you have given up your efforts to write Reggae dialect
lyrics about the evils of aftermarket inks on the NG.

Burt wrote:

>"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
>

>(snip)
>

>>>These are the original cartridges that came with the printer,
>>>

>>I think you were too focused on the aftermarket ink problem being exposed.
>>

>Measekite - he was using the original carts that came with the unit. You
>are too focused on declaring that every printer problem in the universe is
>caused by non-OEM inks.
>
>(snip)
>

>>>Thanks to Tony, who has infinitely more experience with all printers, for
>>>delving into that issue.
>>>

>>In the business of competing with the mfg.
>>

>Most of the manufacturers, Canon included, use independant repair facilities
>for their waranty repairs. Your continual efforts to slam Tony, one of the
>most helpful people on this NG.

NO SLAM JUST FULL DISCLOSURE. SOMETHING YOU WANT TO SUPRESS. YOU
SHOULD LIVE IN A COMMUNIST COUNTRY. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BOTHER WILL FULL
DISCLOSURE THERE.

>(snip)
>
>Glad too see that you have given up your efforts to write Reggae dialect
>lyrics about the evils of aftermarket inks on the NG.

DAT KNOWT TROO