Window won't resize properly

October 25, 2004 8:07:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This is a small problem, but annoying. I used to be able to resize a window
to a band across the top about 1/3 of the height of the screen. Suddenly, I
can no longer make it that narrow. It will not remember the size unless it
is closer to half the height of the screen. I can't think of any program
installation or change I have made that would stop me from resizing the
window the way I want.

I assume this is something I have somehow changed in the registry, although
I don't know how or when. I checked Kelly's-Korner (my favorite help site),
but nothing looked right to me.

Has anyone else run into this and do you know of a fix for it?

Thanks in advance,
fc42
Just a hitchhiker on the information superhighway.

More about : window resize properly

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 4:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm not sure just what you are saying. Are you saying that you only have a
viewable area of 2\3 of your screen when viewing pages? If I only had that
much I's toss the machine. My open window only has a very small
toolbar\address bar at the top with a narrow taskbar down the bottom. I love
having the biggest view possible. To change any sizes for these simply right
click on your desktop then click properties then the appearance tab and then
the advanced button down the lower right and then click on any one of the
bars in the open window and set it's size down below. Or you can click the
drop down list arrow under Item: and choose whatever you want to change and
away you go. With a screen resolution of 1280 X 1025 I have my bars set to 18
.. Have fun.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:05:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sorry I wasn't clear. I can get a full size window easily enough.
Sometimes when I'm clicking on links I want the new windows to open up at a
pre-set, smaller size so that I can continue working on the main page for a
bit before going to the new ones. I can no longer get the windows to
remember that small size (full-width, a little less than 1/3 the height).
The smallest size it will remember is full width and nearly 1/2 the height.
As I said, it's a small matter, but annoying.

--

"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
> I'm not sure just what you are saying. Are you saying that you only have a
> viewable area of 2\3 of your screen when viewing pages? If I only had that
> much I's toss the machine. My open window only has a very small
> toolbar\address bar at the top with a narrow taskbar down the bottom. I
> love
> having the biggest view possible. To change any sizes for these simply
> right
> click on your desktop then click properties then the appearance tab and
> then
> the advanced button down the lower right and then click on any one of the
> bars in the open window and set it's size down below. Or you can click the
> drop down list arrow under Item: and choose whatever you want to change
> and
> away you go. With a screen resolution of 1280 X 1025 I have my bars set to
> 18
> . Have fun.

October 26, 2004 3:16:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Resize to the size you want, then, instead instead of closing the box from
the X in the upper left, go to File and select close.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"fc42" <fcook@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I wasn't clear. I can get a full size window easily enough.
> Sometimes when I'm clicking on links I want the new windows to open up at
> a pre-set, smaller size so that I can continue working on the main page
> for a bit before going to the new ones. I can no longer get the windows
> to remember that small size (full-width, a little less than 1/3 the
> height). The smallest size it will remember is full width and nearly 1/2
> the height. As I said, it's a small matter, but annoying.
>
> --
>
> fc42
> Just a hitchhiker on the information superhighway.
>

> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure just what you are saying. Are you saying that you only have
>> viewable area of 2\3 of your screen when viewing pages? If I only had
>> that
>> much I's toss the machine. My open window only has a very small
>> toolbar\address bar at the top with a narrow taskbar down the bottom. I
>> love
>> having the biggest view possible. To change any sizes for these simply
>> right
>> click on your desktop then click properties then the appearance tab and
>> then
>> the advanced button down the lower right and then click on any one of the
>> bars in the open window and set it's size down below. Or you can click
>> the
>> drop down list arrow under Item: and choose whatever you want to change
>> and
>> away you go. With a screen resolution of 1280 X 1025 I have my bars set
>> to 18
>> . Have fun.

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 7:11:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. I guess I'm stuck with it.
I keep thinking something must have changed in the registry, but I don't
know enough about that to be comfortable experimenting with it.

--

> Resize to the size you want, then, instead instead of closing the box from
> the X in the upper left, go to File and select close.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "fc42" <fcook@kc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry I wasn't clear. I can get a full size window easily enough.
>> Sometimes when I'm clicking on links I want the new windows to open up at
>> a pre-set, smaller size so that I can continue working on the main page
>> for a bit before going to the new ones. I can no longer get the windows
>> to remember that small size (full-width, a little less than 1/3 the
>> height). The smallest size it will remember is full width and nearly 1/2
>> the height. As I said, it's a small matter, but annoying.
>>
>> --
>>
>> fc42
>> Just a hitchhiker on the information superhighway.
>>

>> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
>>> I'm not sure just what you are saying. Are you saying that you only have
>>> viewable area of 2\3 of your screen when viewing pages? If I only had
>>> that
>>> much I's toss the machine. My open window only has a very small
>>> toolbar\address bar at the top with a narrow taskbar down the bottom. I
>>> love
>>> having the biggest view possible. To change any sizes for these simply
>>> right
>>> click on your desktop then click properties then the appearance tab and
>>> then
>>> the advanced button down the lower right and then click on any one of
>>> the
>>> bars in the open window and set it's size down below. Or you can click
>>> the
>>> drop down list arrow under Item: and choose whatever you want to change
>>> and
>>> away you go. With a screen resolution of 1280 X 1025 I have my bars set
>>> to 18
>>> . Have fun.

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:56:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If something changed in the registry, the first thing to try would be to use
System Restore to take you back to a time prior to when the issue began.
Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

--

!