Intel is shipping Beta CPU's to AMD for testing

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
At least make the title more fitting...something like:

"WILL Intel send BETA CPUs to ATI (not AMD) for chipset designs?"

The article, even though it is the Inq even stated that it would be akin to suicide for Intel to send next gen CPUs to ATI, since the merger.

Sheesh...

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
riddle me this

AMD/ATI no longer recieves BETA INTEL cpus for testing

ATI pulls ahead of NVIDIA in GPU performance

ATI is now OPTIMIZING theri GPU's for AMD only

this could lead to AMD becoming the premier platform for gaming

earnhardt2

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I don't mean to be skeptical but that can't be right. Why would Intel want to shoot themselves in the foot by handing over their prized technology to their only big competitor?

Omerta

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33874

Intel is now sending BETA CPUs for AMD to make chipsets for for it

Dude. Did you even read the article that you linked to? WTF? :roll:

VillageIdiot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2005
riddle me this

AMD/ATI no longer recieves BETA INTEL cpus for testing

ATI pulls ahead of NVIDIA in GPU performance

ATI has never really pulled ahead of nVidia by a large margin in the past years, I doubt that would happen even with the recent merger. Also, we (the consumer) do not want one collective gaming monster. Then we pay more :(.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
You do realize that ATi as of right now is still a seperate entity, right? Any beta CPUs that Intel sends go to ATi only.

A source also added that Intel will no longer give ATI its beta CPUs as it would be business suicide to show your key competitor where you stand with the next generation stuff.
You understand this? Intel is saying they will stop sending CPUs before the buyout is complete and AMD actually has access to them.

when your post count is over 100 then u can question me young padawan

My count is over 100 and I'm questioning you. Did you even read the article?
A source also added that Intel will no longer give ATI its beta CPUs as it would be business suicide to show your key competitor where you stand with the next generation stuff.

Hmmm? What's the term I'm looking for? Oh yeah, that's it...Sock Puppet!

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
So what you're saying is that AMD will build K10 to defeat the Core 3 Duo which is twice as powerful as the Core 2 Duo...only to find that the beta sample was a POS and the Core 3 Duo is actually eight times more powerful than the C2D.

Besides, ATi probably had to sign some sort of NDA to recieve access to those CPUs. If ATi released them to AMD, they could be accused of industrial espionage.

Companies don't send out alpha samples, because at alpha stage, they usually still have too many bugs to work properly.

cxl

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I don't mean to be skeptical but that can't be right. Why would Intel want to shoot themselves in the foot by handing over their prized technology to their only big competitor?

Actually, even if Intel does not send samples directly to AMD, do you think that AMD does not have one? As long as Intel (or AMD) sends any samples to any chipset maker, I bet AMD (or Intel) has them too.

Mirek

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Actually, even if Intel does not send samples directly to AMD, do you think that AMD does not have one? As long as Intel (or AMD) sends any samples to any chipset maker, I bet AMD (or Intel) has them too.

Mirek

You make a good point there.

kornyman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006

That would be a bad move on ATi/AMD's part. Especially with Core2. Tons of people have switched to intel and still will be switching to intel, especially with K8L so far away. ATi would basically be killing their own sales to a large portion of the market. And its not like Nvidia doesn't make a good card. I would prefer a X1900XTX over a 7900GT, but if I had an intel box and I found out that ATi cards aren't that great for Intel CPU's, I wouldn't be heartbroken with having to buy a 7900GT.

Seriously, that's just retarted.

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
yeah i think INTEL wouldnt want AMD to have their new cpu's

but it means that ATI and INTEL are no more as a system

if AMD wants Intel ES, it will get it probably much easier than Coolar and other guys who had them months before official release. Lord you set a new low for this forumz and It is not because of this thread alone.