Sign in with
Your question

Hope to finish my build tonight, what you think...

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2006 3:22:46 PM

I hope to finish my build tonight… I started last night was waiting on my case Fed-ex mis routed it, so it came 3 days after all my other parts...anyway here is what I have…

Raidmax Cobra 822 case (silver) ( I yanked the 420w powersuppy that came with it)

Antec smartpower 2.0 sp-500 500w power supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB KIT DDR2-800 XMS2-6400

Seagate barracuda 7200.10 ST3250620AS 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard

Gigabyte GV-NX73T256P-RH GeForce 7300 GT Turbo Force PCI Express 256mb GDDR2 Video Card

Adaptec 4300 Firewire card

Plus my current DVD and CDR burner both are Lite-on’s

I won’t be playing any games on this (that’s what my Xbox 360 is for) but I will be doing video editing, etc… plus running VmWare.

I’m going to use the stock Intel fan and heatsink for right now…

I want to do moderate OC, what settings should I be safe with this setup?

Also, I might put my current 250gb SATA 1 drive in aswell as a d-drive, (since it’s onl 1.5GB/s) it won’t have any neg impact on my performance on my main drive right?

Thanks for any help/advice.
August 23, 2006 3:40:24 PM

Thanks, yeah, I was running out of funds, and since I'm not going to play games on it ( I stick with the 360 and live for that) so I didn't want to go to crazy with the video card, since I figure this one should be better then the Gefore4 64meg card I have in my current rig. :-)

Will have to see how the cooling goes, the case has to 80mm exhaust fans plus one sucking in from the side/windowed panel, plus I added another in the front to suck in some air.
August 23, 2006 5:06:18 PM

A second hard drive is essential if your planning on editing video/audio, you should even consider planning on getting external drives with built-in fans for storage of completed projects but that can wait a bit.
Related resources
August 23, 2006 5:23:44 PM

That's what I was thinking... so I most likely pull that sata 1 drive from my current pc, and add it to this one as a secound drive...

But doing so won't hurt the performace of my new sata II drive right? wasn't sure if it would cause a bottle neck in the system, I know if I write to it, it won't be as fast as my main drive, but I just wanted to make sure my main drive wouldn't slow down.
August 23, 2006 5:54:35 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking... so I most likely pull that sata 1 drive from my current pc, and add it to this one as a secound drive...

But doing so won't hurt the performace of my new sata II drive right? wasn't sure if it would cause a bottle neck in the system, I know if I write to it, it won't be as fast as my main drive, but I just wanted to make sure my main drive wouldn't slow down.

Adding a second hard drive will not slow down the main drive.
August 23, 2006 6:01:49 PM

Quote:

Adding a second hard drive will not slow down the main drive.

Cool, thanks, I didn't think so either but you never know... since one is 3.0 and the other is 1.5.
August 25, 2006 11:42:41 AM

Well, Wed. night I went to fire up the new rig, and guess what, dead power supply....

I ended up just pluging the cheap one that came with the case in just to make sure the board and cpu worked...(it didn't have any sata power connectors so I couldn't try the HD, but I did flash the DS3 MB's bios to F4.
That's about all I did... so I unhooked that power supply and I RMA'ed the Antec and sent it back yesterday... so now I just have to wait..

But on a side note, when I unhooked the 420wat Raidmax p/s that came iwth the case, I noticed that the connector was only a 20pin, but the board is a 24pin... so how did this work/power up then?
August 25, 2006 12:57:29 PM

My Antec SP2.0 500w recently fried my motherboard when it died. Why dont you get a seasonic s-12, fortron source or enermax liberty psu?

You should not discount the PC as a gaming platform, even if you also own a console. For gaming, I would choose a PC over a console. Its the ultimate console! Not to mention you are just a good GPU from achieving that goal. :idea:
!