Sign in with
Your question

Gaming mouse?

Last response: in Components
August 23, 2006 4:01:35 PM

Ok so in building my new rig i am also looking to get a new Mouse i currently have the logi MX510, and i love it. Im looking at this G5 but there is only 1 button on the side as opposed to the 510 there is 2, im really use to having 2 buttons there when im playing games, so should i just work around it and get the G5 or is there a better recomendation? thanks guys

More about : gaming mouse

August 23, 2006 10:37:37 PM

You can look at razer, their new mice have 2 buttons on each side. The left ones are left unassigned but the right ones are assigned to the dpi increase/decrease.
August 23, 2006 11:16:38 PM

Quote:
Ok so in building my new rig i am also looking to get a new Mouse i currently have the logi MX510, and i love it. Im looking at this G5 but there is only 1 button on the side as opposed to the 510 there is 2, im really use to having 2 buttons there when im playing games, so should i just work around it and get the G5 or is there a better recomendation? thanks guys

What do you use them for? I used to like having 2 buttons as well. I got a G5 and never looked back though :) 
Related resources
August 23, 2006 11:20:26 PM

Dude get the G5, you won't regret is, but have a look at the razer mice, as waylander pointed out, both very good mice for gaming, you make the choice. :D 
August 24, 2006 12:36:39 AM

August 24, 2006 1:13:43 AM

Basically, it depends what style of mouse you like. If you like the right-handers only style that Logitech makes, go ahead with a G5, or if you insist on wireless, the G7. If you like the ambidextrous, symmetrical design, then feel free to get a Razer Diamondback or Copperhead. Personally, I prefer the ambidextrous ones, and I have my nice Diamondback Plasma right here.

Note: you can also invest in teflon sticky pads like the Xtrac Mad Dotz so that you don't wear out the teflon feet on your new mouse.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
August 24, 2006 1:15:03 AM

The Logitech G5 has the tilt wheel functionality as well, which can balance out the lack of that one button, which I DO miss because I used to "forward" while web browsing. The G5 though did have the best reviews in Tom's, and also, since you're already accustomed to the shape, you won't have a learning curve, as you would with the Razer, even if almost insignificant. Just a thought!
August 24, 2006 1:17:39 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, it also depends on how you hold your mouse. Logitech ones are made to be held/moved by the palm of your hand, while Razers tend to be held/moved by your fingertips, though you can still rest your palm on it.
August 24, 2006 1:52:43 AM

I would recomend the G5 Laser, but your MX510 is decent. It might also be a good idea to get a good mousepad. Such as a Icemat or Steelpad.
August 24, 2006 2:09:42 AM

Yo skinny,
Look at the Razor DiamondBack. It's got 7 fully programmable buttons, plus the wheel, On the fly sensitivity for reaction time, a WICKED BLUE LED that lights the mouse wheel and interior parts, it does NOT HAVE A BALL, it's a laser light, USB hookup, a long cord .............ummmmm what else...OH YEAH....IT LOOKS SWEET IN THE DARK WHEN I PLAY F E A R :D 

Just google it and you'll find the url to the site. Cheers bro ..............

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo socket 939 AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
August 24, 2006 2:21:50 AM

Quote:
Yo skinny,
Look at the Razor DiamondBack. It's got 7 fully programmable buttons, plus the wheel, On the fly sensitivity for reaction time, a WICKED BLUE LED that lights the mouse wheel and interior parts, it does NOT HAVE A BALL, it's a laser light, USB hookup, a long cord .............ummmmm what else...OH YEAH....IT LOOKS SWEET IN THE DARK WHEN I PLAY F E A R :D 

Just google it and you'll find the url to the site. Cheers bro ..............

RIG specs
Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo socket 939 AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CDrom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts

Why post the details of your rig? Why not put them in your signature like other people?

7 buttons are kinda useless. Most people only use 4 or 5. The G5 also has sensitivity buttons as well. IMHO sensitivity buttons are pretty useless an gimicky. You'll probably never use them ingame.

Most mice haven't had balls for the last 6 years or so, have been USB for longer than that and LED's are for kids.
August 24, 2006 2:27:05 AM

Yeah, you won't use all 7. I use the 2 main buttons, the button on the scroll thing, the two left side buttons (I'm right handed) and the top right side one. Again, I don't think that the number of buttons really has that big of a factor, unless there's just 1 or something, heheh. Your best bet is simply how you hold your mouse, and what shape you prefer. Because both Logitech and Razer have 1600 and 2000 dpi mice, they'll have the same performance. It's just a question of ergonomics.
August 24, 2006 2:30:50 AM

I have a razer diamondback the left two buttons are good but the right two are useless since your pinky finger does not have enough control to make them effective. The software that comes with it is garbage. The sensitivity function is good but you cant use it in game but it sure helps when going from gaming mode to internet surfing mode where you would want your moust to scroll faster. Razer mouse are controlled by your fingers and not much with the palm so keep that in mind before investing in razer if you are used to logitech stick with that and get a G5 even though the 510 should be good enough.
August 24, 2006 2:35:09 AM

Odd, my on-the-fly sensitivity works in game
August 24, 2006 10:22:22 AM

ummmmmm 306.....
answer to first question.....because the details are too much to fit into the required field and that is where the others are anyway..

answer to second question......NO 7 buttons are NOT useless.....I DO use them. ALL OF THEM.....how can you say they're useless when you haven't even tried them yet? Like I said I use ALL of them and I like it. It doesn't mean someone else will use it r maybe they will. No disrespect intended 306 but I disagree.
I notice that Bringin said in his post that he can't reach for the upper nost and lowermost buttons on the respective sides... that is true. It is NOT readily available... correct... so what I do is use those ones for less important keys... like for peering around corners....or like in Splinter cell I use it for the thermal goggles and nightvision... buttons that do not need frequent access. All you have to do when access is neede is just angle your hand in orderfor the thumb or pinky finger to reach the button..

So you see 306 the other buttons can be used.

and PS I like to post the details in case people have questions dealing with rig specs...it just saves time when it's required. As you can see it's not there now because it's not needed for this post..... think of it as an "as needed" sig :wink:
August 24, 2006 2:51:39 PM

btw thanks for stealing my avatar....
August 24, 2006 4:07:53 PM

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/upp/details/...

New Mouse, check it out. I don't see a point in having a dedicated mouse for gaming even though I game a lot. I like a lot of functionality with my computer all around, so I would just choose a good mouse in general instead of a good gaming mouse.

Also, Microsoft's coming out with a keyboard mouse combo that looks really spiffy. I think I'll probably get it:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ultimatekeyboard/defa...

Proximatiy and Light sensor in order to turn on the backlight intelligently, wireless and rechargable with many programmable keys... and a mouse...
August 24, 2006 5:01:06 PM

Get the Logitech G7....I love this mouse more than I love my mother.
This mouse is by far the most amazing mouse I have ever placed my hand on. I could've sworn (no joke) the first time I touched it....angels we singing and a bright beam of light shone upon the back of hand. I'm pretty sure that without my Logitech G7...I wouldn't be in CAL on Counter-Strike: Source ...sniping at 400 dpi....jumping to 2000 for those close quarters.....switching down to 800 in medium sized areas, I LOVE IT. Turns you from JOE to PRO.

Also if you want your mouse skating on ice....which I also love....get the ICEMAT.
www.icemat.com
August 24, 2006 5:53:13 PM

Quote:
btw thanks for stealing my avatar....

Offtopic: At least you have an avatar...(only a few more posts to go yay!)
August 24, 2006 5:55:54 PM

WOW ...........did not know you had a patent on it.....I apologize.....I will remove it immediately
August 24, 2006 6:00:38 PM

I'm not saying I had a patent on it (btw you can't patent a name or a symbol, you trademark them), but I did find it and edit it to fit. Wasn't that hard really but it's kind of bad form to just take an avatar from someone.
August 24, 2006 7:04:05 PM

<--- mine look teh Gayzors
August 24, 2006 7:11:27 PM

I agree that copying someone else's avatar isn't nice. And yes I admit that I am typing a lame response just to get my post count to 100 so I can have my own avatar.

Ontopic: I have the Logitech MX518 and I think it works great for gaming. the only complaint I have is that the buttons to change the resolution aren't next ot each other. One is above the scroll wheel and the other is below the scroll wheel. But since I hardly ever use those it doesn't really affect me. What I really like is the two buttons being by your right thumb. I use those buttons all the time (for both gaming and internet) and find myself trying to instinctively use them when I'm using other mice.

Ok so maybe this post wasn't totally lame. Just mostly lame haha :lol: 
August 24, 2006 7:11:44 PM

I have a Razer Copperhead and I highly recommend it for gaming! It is very flexible, and if you're really a performance freak, it can be setup to work without a driver in memory, for that extra 1/25% performance boost!
August 24, 2006 7:39:53 PM

Ok, now this is a totally lame post so that I can use an avatar.
August 24, 2006 8:17:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, now this is a totally lame post so that I can use an avatar.

:trophy:
August 24, 2006 9:21:03 PM

My vote is in for the G5 (and yes I have one), I really like the no-tangle cord and I too missed the extra button on the side, but I also used to occasionally phat thumb the wrong button, so its not that much of a loss.
The DPI on the fly is REALLY nice and makes up for the lost button.
August 24, 2006 10:43:55 PM

HI Waylander,
When I used the word "patent" I did not mean in a LITERAL sense. It was meant to say "it really belongs to Nvidia and since they designed it, and we are using it, then it did not belong to ANYONE inparticular and CERTAINLY not us"
And by the way I had no intention of offending you bro. I figured since I had SLI too, it was sort of a camaradarie thing among SLI'ers.
But I guess I assumed wrong so like I said I apologize and as you can see I removed the avatar.
August 24, 2006 11:26:44 PM

I like my 510 and its 2 buttons, i use them almost more than my right click.
August 25, 2006 12:03:27 AM

Yo, I owned a MX700 for well over 3 years, and I loved the hell out of it and so did my friends. Every time one friend came over and used it, he commented on how nice it was. I called logitech a few days ago and told them the charger was bad, so whats the game plan? They are sending out an MX1000 retail to replace it. The 1000 has the tilt wheel, and 3 buttons on the side. I would suggest that nice work of art.
August 25, 2006 12:10:11 AM

Quote:
i currently have the logi MX510, and i love it.

I also use an mx510 and it rocks. Only drawback is that its not wireless. But hey, if it ain't broke...
August 25, 2006 1:17:42 AM

G5 is my mouse, it is much better than my previous mouse the mx700. The feet on the mouse is the final blow to all users who says the mx518 is better than the G5, since it lacks a second thumb button. The gaming feet on the G5 are huge and slick. If you look at your 510/518 you will see you have tiny, shitty gaming feet. The G5 is a completely new feel when you move it, it will glide over sandpaper >.>... for about five minutes :D .

The G5 also has the adjustable weights, wich can be a whole lot better than changing sensitivities. The weights are definately a nice feature, I'm guessing alot of people don't think so. The only problem with the G5 is the middle mouse button is a bit difficult to press at first, you might accidentally apply pressure the wrong way and you hit the left/right scroll.

As far as mousepads go, the expensive ones are superbly overrated. A plastic/cloth mat cannot be improved but so much to be worth 50$. And since the icemat feels a hell of a lot like my xtrac hammer, I took the stupid thing back.

Turn your sensitivity down, get a large mousepad, buy a gamepad and ditch your keyboard. This will make you play better, there is no way it can't improve your accuracy and speed of accuracy. By allowing you to turn down your sensitivity you can be more precise. Having a big mousepad means you wont need to pickup and move your mouse or run out of desk space. Getting a gamepad means you dont need to twist or have your keybaord hanging off of your desk, or putting it in your lap..

Your keyboard/mouse setup is just as important as the speed and power of your computer. There is no use having a good mouse if your computer can't run the game. The same thing goes if you have an Alienware and a Packard Bell ball mouse.
August 25, 2006 1:23:07 AM

Quote:
G5 is my mouse, it is much better than my previous mouse the mx700. The feet on the mouse is the final blow to all users who says the mx518 is better than the G5, since it lacks a second thumb button. The gaming feet on the G5 are huge and slick. If you look at your 510/518 you will see you have tiny, shitty gaming feet. The G5 is a completely new feel when you move it, it will glide over sandpaper >.>... for about five minutes :D .

The G5 also has the adjustable weights, wich can be a whole lot better than changing sensitivities. The weights are definately a nice feature, I'm guessing alot of people don't think so. The only problem with the G5 is the middle mouse button is a bit difficult to press at first, you might accidentally apply pressure the wrong way and you hit the left/right scroll.

As far as mousepads go, the expensive ones are superbly overrated. A plastic/cloth mat cannot be improved but so much to be worth 50$. And since the icemat feels a hell of a lot like my xtrac hammer, I took the stupid thing back.

Turn your sensitivity down, get a large mousepad, buy a gamepad and ditch your keyboard. This will make you play better, there is no way it can't improve your accuracy and speed of accuracy. By allowing you to turn down your sensitivity you can be more precise. Having a big mousepad means you wont need to pickup and move your mouse or run out of desk space. Getting a gamepad means you dont need to twist or have your keybaord hanging off of your desk, or putting it in your lap..

Your keyboard/mouse setup is just as important as the speed and power of your computer. There is no use having a good mouse if your computer can't run the game. The same thing goes if you have an Alienware and a Packard Bell ball mouse.

Don't see why having a gamepad is going to help you while you're gaming. Last time I checked it was customary to hold a gamepad with two hands and a mouse with one hand. Given that most people only have two hands this does not make sense. Also if you have a decent desk you don't need to have your keyboard on your lap or hanging off the desk.

Tip for G5 users. Turn the sensitivity on your mouse up and simply adjust it in the game you're playing. You don't need a big mat if you get the sensitivity right.
August 25, 2006 2:11:37 AM

Turning the sensitivity up DECREASES your precision. Precision is a good thing to have when trying to shoot somebody. It's only natural lower sensitivity gives you more accuracy, you can fine tune your shot. This applies to all forms of gunplay, not just sniping. If you are going for a headshot at medium range, you will be happy you have lower sens.

Lower sensitivity will probably mean you need more mouse space, as you will be picking up your mouse. If you have never tried lower sensitivity, you really should. Give it a few rounds and you will see what I'm saying.

BTW this is a gamepad
August 25, 2006 3:12:01 AM

Quote:

its all preference man... for me medium sensitivity is great for me in battlefield 2, and changing dpi is key in that.

It does improve your accuracy if thats the way your used to playing... drr

although it may be nicer to have a smoother control, 2 side buttons is an absolute must on a lot of games with many controls that you need to access quickly, and using the mouse is more conveniant.
August 25, 2006 3:22:59 AM

Quote:
Turning the sensitivity up DECREASES your precision. Precision is a good thing to have when trying to shoot somebody. It's only natural lower sensitivity gives you more accuracy, you can fine tune your shot. This applies to all forms of gunplay, not just sniping. If you are going for a headshot at medium range, you will be happy you have lower sens.

Lower sensitivity will probably mean you need more mouse space, as you will be picking up your mouse. If you have never tried lower sensitivity, you really should. Give it a few rounds and you will see what I'm saying.

BTW this is a gamepad

When most people think of a gamepad they think of this :) 

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=gamepad&hl=en&btnG=...

But that's just a misunderstanding :) 

Sensitivity is down to personal preference. I set my mouse up at maximum sensitivity on the mouse and then dial the sensitivity down in the game settings. That way I can still go down in sensitivity but if I want with the buttons but I still have a mouse that's responsive enough. Nothing worse than getting attacked from both sides and not being able to bring your gun to bear quickly enough.........

As I said I use a fairly sensitive mouse setting. In most FPS's if you have a steady hand you want the mouse to be as sensitive as possible. Yes I understand that to a certain extent it decreases accuracy but if someone's shooting at you and you can't even get your crosshairs on them you've already lost the battle. High sensitivity also means you don't need to have a huge desk and means you don't need to lift your mouse up as much. Having a large mousepad is irrelevant because you want to keep the mouse as close to it's "neutral" position as possible. Just remember most mouse users use their fingers to move the mouse around. I use my fingers to move my G5 around. If I had the sensitivity turned down I'd have to move my arm around and that's a pain.

As for gamepads.... most people have grown up with the feel of a keyboard and have lots of binds worked out and well spaced on a keyboard. A gamepad simply squashes them all together which sucks majorly.

As for paybax talking about using 7 buttons I have no idea why. I use my mouse for
Fire
Jump
Weapon select (Scrollwheel)
Secondary fire (Scrollwheel click)
Voice

and I'm using one or two more buttons than most people.
August 25, 2006 3:38:11 AM

Well, I play Halo PC time to time, and really, my mouse is used for:
Left main: fire
Right main: grenade
Scroll click: zoom
Top left side button: reload
Bottom right side button: action

Now, I know I'm no seasoned PC gamer, but I can easily access everything else I need from my ASDW hand position. It's fine for me.

I think it's just down to personal preference. If you prefer a gamepad, or heck, even a joystick if you're feeling wild, go ahead. Same is for sensitivity, play what you feel like, but I'll still suggest the on-the-fly sensitivity changing, it's really quite useful.
August 25, 2006 4:05:25 AM

Mouse sensitivity is pretty much 100% personal preference. Back in my CS/BF2 days I liked my mouse supersensitive while my good gaming buddy like his just the opposite. We would constantly be changing each others' settings when over at each others' house.

Ah, good times...

I'm still loving my mx510 - 2 and a half years old and going strong. Buttons still click like its brand new. Best mouse I've ever bought.
August 25, 2006 12:53:24 PM

I have the mx518 and I like it. Don't want any of the new wireless ones, what if it runs out of batteries while your are playing and what about wireless lag?
August 25, 2006 2:20:19 PM

Wireless just isn't optimal for gaming. Or for much of anything IMO. I really dislike that tiny bit of lag you get from a wireless mouse. A nicer mouse like the MX1000 isn't too bad but it's still not the same as being plugged right in.
August 25, 2006 3:55:06 PM

For both of you complaining about wireless mouse lag, I suggest you try a new G7 before doing so. There really is zero lag and it comes with two rechargable batteries, charge one while playing with the other. Changing them takes about 5 seconds and if you watch the battery meter you'll know when you are low and can change the battery before you even start the game.
August 25, 2006 4:23:51 PM

I'd definitely like to try one out if they have no lag. About how long do the batteries last would you say with average use/ light gaming? What about heavy gaming, will the batteries die on you during a longer gaming session (6-8 hours straight)?
August 25, 2006 4:45:50 PM

I've used it for 4 hours of straight gaming before and I didn't use a new battery before I started and didn't have to charge it after I was done. It might last 8 hours but like I said, it only takes 5 seconds to change the battery to a fresh one (like when you are waiting for the next map to load or waiting for an end of round).
August 27, 2006 1:38:52 AM

I have the MX518 and I love it to death... I leave winodws setting on normal and dont adjust the mouse sens at all. I use 800dpi for windows viewing and gameplay witch I find rather jumpy. Honestly, How do you controll a mouse that jump 500ft from one position...

When I use a gun that is slower in scope mode I up it to 1600dpi and is a nice boost to make up. 400dpi is nice when snipeing with a short range scope or ironsights.

It all depends, but 3 levels for various action is a wonderfull touch. I also love the two thumb buttons.

How much of a difference could there be from a 1600dpi optical to a 2000dpi "Laser"? Both feel the same at 800dpi to me and 1600 is rather cazy at defualt windows setting...
!