cacls.exe not to delete toplevel directory

Robert

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi there,
I'm looking for some (X)CACLS assistance here...
We want to give users change access on a shared directory on the fileserver.
However, we want to prevent that users can delete the toplevel directory. It
must be possible for users to create and delete subdirectories. How can we
script this via a cacls command?
Regards,
Robert.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Not sure about xcacls - maybe with the [ /g group:w;txewd /e /y] but I doubt cacls
will work. Try configuring the top folder with read/list/execute/write and then in
the advanced permissions page add the group again select subfolders and files in the
apply onto box and give the group everything but full control, take ownership, and
change permissions. Xcacls is powerful, but tricky so be sure to try out on a test
computer/folder first and backup your server before implementing changes. --- Steve