Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I'm in a bind. I hope you can offer me some advice. My current setup is a socket A (Athlon XP 3000+?), pc3200 can. I have the hankering that either my mobo or cpu is failing, so hey...upgrade time! But, money is an object, which is how I got into the socket A. But, now it's dead and I can't find anything for a replacement. I got it in November. So, now, I'd like to just ditch the A and go with something newer. 939 has some good prices on it right now, but will I be in the same boat that I am now in a year? AM2 is current, so I'd have the support and a few years, but I'd have to step up to DDR2 and pay more for the pieces...Remember that money is an object.

What do you think?

939 is mature and discounted, AM2 is young, fun but expensive.

I'd really appreciate your input!

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
939? AM2?
Why not have both?

http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm
http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

These ASRock boards use 939 and support DDR, allowing you to get a cheap CPU and reuse your RAM. The yellow slot is a special slot. You buy a special expansion card that has the AM2 socket and DDR2 slots on it, so you can upgrade to AM2 at will.

The add-on card looks like this:
AM2CPU%20Board.jpg

These boards (As far as I know) are terrible overclockers, so if that matters, then stay away. They also have AGP slots, so you can resue your AGP card if you have one. Also, I doubt its AM2 performance is as good as a true AM2 board, but you're in a bind, and this is a budget alternative.

bigredcat

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Well the cheapest way to go is with the 939 socket, but one day 939 will go the way of the socket A too. I still have my 939 and dont plan on moving until they stop making 939 products. It is my opinion that the AM2 have to little products out to get a good selection. To make the jump to AM2 is a bit more money and you are correct about your memory, as AM2 uses DDR2 240 pin.

It boils down to money mostly. 939 is cheaper, and AM2 is slightly more $. I dont know when they will stop the 939 series. I dont know if this helps you or makes it worse?? I personally would say go with the 939 is cash is an issue.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm in a bind. I hope you can offer me some advice. My current setup is a socket A (Athlon XP 3000+?), pc3200 can. I have the hankering that either my mobo or cpu is failing, so hey...upgrade time! But, money is an object, which is how I got into the socket A. But, now it's dead and I can't find anything for a replacement. I got it in November. So, now, I'd like to just ditch the A and go with something newer. 939 has some good prices on it right now, but will I be in the same boat that I am now in a year? AM2 is current, so I'd have the support and a few years, but I'd have to step up to DDR2 and pay more for the pieces...Remember that money is an object.

What do you think?

How much are you willing to spend? Without a ballpark figure, we're all wasting our time.

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Good point...

I looked at some 939 stuff at newegg and I could do something for around $200-$250. Which sounds nice. I guess if it were more, it would need to be justified. I'm too chicken to overclock and most of what I do would be website maintenance, Photoshop stuff and the occasional Call of Duty session. If I could find AM2 stuff for $250, I'd still need to go the the DDR2, which would add more, but, in the long run, there would be support. Then again, how long until AM2 goes by the wayside?

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
That looks pretty cool. Little iffy though, just because of the rest of the board. Would a conversion like that matter to the other components?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What do you think?

939 All the Way. I have a 4400+ and I never wait for anything. Your best upgrade after that will be a video card. teh 3800+ will be a real step up and the 4200+ will be amazingly faster.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Are you the type that typically upgrades a processor, or the type that uses his computer as it is for as long as he can? If you're not worried about upgrading the processor, go 939 as overall, the boards are cheaper and more mature, as was mentioned. If you think you might want to upgrade your processor, then AM2 does offer a longer upgrade life.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
All the issues I can think of when I look at it:
Space Conflict - What I think you hit upon, that the CPU cooler, if large enough, would impact something else. Also, it would be upside-down inside the case, which could be an issue if the cooler is heavy.
Windows - You usually have to reinstall Windows (If that's what you use) when you swap out the CPU or motherboard.I'll try and list anything else I can think of.

To answer your other question, AM2 is being dumped within I'd say about 18 months in favor of AM3, which will probably be launched alongside K8L (AMD next-gen CPUs). AMD has supposedly promised that AM3 CPUs will work in AM2 motherboards, but I won't believe that until I see it.

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Very good point! I'm somewhat in the middle, but I'd like to hang on to it if I could. That was the plan with the A socket. I just upgraded my video card to an x700 Pro a while ago too, so that would be another expense if I went with AM2, right? I don't think I've seen AGP on AM2 boards.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Good point...

I looked at some 939 stuff at newegg and I could do something for around $200-$250. Which sounds nice. I guess if it were more, it would need to be justified. I'm too chicken to overclock and most of what I do would be website maintenance, Photoshop stuff and the occasional Call of Duty session. If I could find AM2 stuff for $250, I'd still need to go the the DDR2, which would add more, but, in the long run, there would be support. Then again, how long until AM2 goes by the wayside?
For sure, with your existing hardware, and your budgetary constraints, this would be your best route to take:

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2:$64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

Athlon 64 X2 3800+:$152.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

Total: $216.99 + $6.13(mobo S/H) + tax(if applicable).

If you consider this, read through some of the motherboard reviews on Newegg, as there are a lot of good reviews, as well as quite a few with apparent AGP troubles. GL :)

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Thanks all for your input. I think that's what I'll do...939. Now...How about this, which is hopefully simple:

X2 or FX? Will I notice a big increase with the X2? Or is the price difference so minimal that it won't matter?

Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
Like you said, go 939 and your in the same boat in a few months, no upgradability.
If you go AM2 you will be set for a while considering the native quad core will be supported by AM2 boards.

Yeah, but if I play the waiting game, won't I always be waiting? Plus, if I get a dependable board, it should last a few years, which would probably be a better upgrade time...Maybe.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
If moneys tight, go with the ASROCK and an X2 (+3800's are only $150), 939 is on its way out but that setup will last a few years and when you find your system lagging you can upgrade to a nicer PCIe graphics card on that MB board. A good video card is as important as the CPU, if not more so.

crusher

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I will say this in a few words:

If you have 939 dont upgrade to am2 if you dont have 939 and you are planning to upgrade your processor then buy am2.

there are new, fast, and cheap you can get a 3800 x2 for 160 bucks.

yeah you have to update your ram and mobo but you are investing in new tech that will be for at least a year.

939 will disappear in less than a year.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I am going to start by stating the obvious: your in a corner with a knife and 300 Marines have you in their sniper sights.

Point is your at an impass in the technology realm, your going to need to upgrade everything almost. It sucks, I had to do it back in December.

Everybody has gone PCI express for graphics cards (you can still buy AGP but why would you if your getting a new system?)

Even AMD has moved to DDR2 and Intel wants to move to DDR3 next year so your DDR ram is pretty much dead.

Socket A is dead and 939 is going to make its exit probably within 6-8 months max.

So it comes down to money and logic. If you go AM2 you will be gaurenteed to have new parts available for probably 2 years (give or take) and your memory and GPU will take you that far as well. If you go 939, which is what I am on because I bought it 9 months ago, you will postpone the inevitable switch to DDR 2/3 as well as upgrading you GPU, both of which you will eventually have to do. Would you rather wait a month and save the extra $100 (if you can, I don't know you financial situation, I am just trying to help you understand your choices), or do you want to by the cheaper socket, like you did last time, and risk running into the exact same problem again and having to purchase another new mobo, proc, memory, and GPU.

The switch to AM2 may dent your wallet but it will be better for you in the long run to have the option of replacing a single component, in general.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
939 -mature and discounted
AM2 young fun and expensive...hmmm

Someones mom - mature and discounted
That mom's daughter - young fun and expensive

Which one would you rather have??

Go with the AM2

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You said you Do some website maintenance... and alittle photoshop? i think some of these people are insane with some of there responses.

I've been running this setup for 5 yrs now.

asus a7n8x del (SOCKET A)

xp2800+

1 GB pc3200 corsair xms

and just recently went from a ti4200 to a 6600GT gfx card.

I'm currently using this same machine to type here. I've been able to play whatever games are out, photoshop, website stuff, chating, ect.

If you build a nice rig from 939.... it should last you atleast 3-4 yrs.

I don't see why you would need to upgrade within a YEAR.

the specs im running now are "so out of date" but yet they run anything i throw at it.

ANything in the x2, FX area according to PAPER results should DESTROY my system now. So going with a FX 60... and a 939 ASUS A8N sli this setup should perform excellent and last like i said around 3-4 yrs.

My next system i plan on going with is the

FX 60
that ASUS BOARD A8N sli..... it's 4 stars out of 1091 reviews.. for only 136$
2GB of memory

this config right there should be killer.
i don't see why that system can't last you atleast 3 yrs MINIMUM.

id go 939 and save the extra cash.

that's what im doing..... 939 is cheaper and its mature and the software bugs/drivers have been all worked out already... it should be a smooth build.

anyway that's my opinion.

ROB.