"Safely Remove Hardware" Icon?

Hi folks,

just installed and formatted a new WD 250GB SATA drive. All went fairly well, except now I have a icon in my tray that asks me if I want to "safely remove hardware" Like the one you might get with a flash drive.

Any ideas.
6 answers Last reply
More about quot safely remove hardware quot icon
  1. Xp SP2 sees Sata drives as hot swappable drives. You can remove the icon from your tray if it bothers you.
  2. Hey Pmore,
    Pc is right, you can remove the icon if it bothers you. All that means is that it is telling you that since you have SATA drives on your comp, you can SAFELY REMOVE THEM" without shutting down your rig. This is called "hot swappable" hdd's, and it is a nice option that SATA drives are capable of. If you double click on the icon it will open and give you info on your drives that are connected to your rig.

If you look closely at the sata plugs and connectors as well as the hdd, you will notice that the gold connectors are not all even....kinda like key grooves. This is what will prevent a static discharge that would DEFINITELY occur if you were to pull the plug on an active ide drive running in your rig.

I have a 3rd hdd in my rig that I leave UNPLUGGED to protect my back ups from corruption. Once a week when I want to back up my data, and while my rig is running, I plug this drive in, wait for to detect, then I proceed to back up. When it's done copying files I unplug the hdd while my rig is running and continue doing what I love to do best on my comp......PLAY F E A R !!!!

HOpe this helps

RIG specs
    Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
    SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
    Asus A8N32 SLI mobo socket 939 AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
    RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD driver 1.3.1.0 w/MS hotfix & AMD Dual Core Optimizer)
    2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
    2- BFG 7900 GT OC 256mb in SLI (nvidia driver 91.31)
    Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
    Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
    Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
    Sony CDrom 52X
    Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX 500watts
  3. Quote:
    Xp SP2 sees Sata drives as hot swappable drives. You can remove the icon from your tray if it bothers you.

it is not XP sp2, but SATA2 specification and drivers that allow it. You can have a SATA2 controller, a SATA2 HDD and SP2 and not having this icon. If your controller is natively supported by microsoft ide drivers, like nforce4, ATI or ULI chipset, then you wont have it.
  4. I have the same problem. Should I download and install drivers or what can I do? What will happen if one day I accidently stop the hdd when I meant for something else? Will I need to restart?
  5. Hot plugging was also part of the origional SATA specification, although not all controller's supported it (I had a 300gig disc that would overheat, on a VIA controller, the system would lock up and die horribly, on a nvidia nForce 3 controller the drive just disappeared for a moment and then returned).

(and I believe nForce 3 was SATA 1)

If you remove a SATA hard drive, you have to power it down and then back up again (simply be pulling the power cable out), I imagine it's a feature that's most useful in corporate circles, where they have big RAID arrays and need to be able to replace discs that fail without taking the server down. Still, can be quite useful for us enthusiasts too.
  6. Quote:
    I have the same problem. Should I download and install drivers or what can I do? What will happen if one day I accidently stop the hdd when I meant for something else? Will I need to restart?

That's not a problem, it a feature. And try to remove the drive XP is on... it is not that stupid..
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Hardware Western Digital Storage