Permission problem on moving files

Jordan

I have Windows 2000 servers with Windows 2000 workstations. When a user
copies a file from one directory to another the old file permissions follow.
Example:

-Bob is in the Sales and Documentation group.
-File1.doc is in X:\SalesFiles where the Sales group has Change access in
the directory.
-Bob moves file1.doc to the X:\CompanyDocs folder where the Documentation
group has Change access and everyone else has Read-Only.

Jane from the sales group can still edit File1.doc even though it is in the
X:\CompanyDocs folder. She cannot edit any other documents.

I guess the problem is that copying files from one directory to another on
the same drive keeps the security settings on the file so is there a command
I can run nightly to reset the permissions back to the defaults for a
directory?

When you COPY a file from NTFS partition to the same partition security permissions inherit from a parent folder.
When you MOVE a file from NTFS partition to the same partition security permissions remain the same.

If you move a file and want it inherits its permissions from a new parent folder than just reset permissions.

Best regards,
Igor Fomin, igorf ==at== digdes ==dot== com