Reinstall Windows xp

I have Windows xp pro installed on 80 gig hard drive with NTFS format. How
can I Reinstall Windows xp again by cleaning the HD completly and start
installing after booting from 6 Floppies I donot want to format HD again.
Next how to acquire a bootable CD to format a new HD with FAT32 or NTFS to
install Windows xp. Please Help Thanks a Million
4 answers Last reply
More about reinstall windows

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "satbahadur1" wrote:

    | I have Windows xp pro installed on 80 gig hard drive with NTFS format. How
    | can I Reinstall Windows xp again by cleaning the HD completly and start
    | installing after booting from 6 Floppies I donot want to format HD again.
    | Next how to acquire a bootable CD to format a new HD with FAT32 or NTFS to
    | install Windows xp. Please Help Thanks a Million

    See this link for doing a repair install:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    "satbahadur1" <satbahadur1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows xp pro installed on 80 gig hard drive with NTFS format. How
    > can I Reinstall Windows xp again by cleaning the HD completly and start
    > installing after booting from 6 Floppies I donot want to format HD again.
    > Next how to acquire a bootable CD to format a new HD with FAT32 or NTFS
    > install Windows xp. Please Help Thanks a Million

    First, you ask how to reinstall Windows XP again by cleaning the HD drive
    completely and then you say you do not want to format the hard drive again.
    How exactly do you expect to completely clear the hard drive without
    formatting?

    Colin, in this thread has given you information for a repair install but
    that won't clean or clear the hard drive. Carey, in this thread has given
    you a number of suggestions including a clean install but it should be
    noted, a clean install will format the hard drive.

    In your question, you have essentially described wanting to format the hard
    drive and then you have said you do not wish to do that; what is it you wish
    to do?

    How to acquire a bootable CD to format; the XP CD is bootable and the
    procedure for using it is as follows:
    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    A few screens into the boot process, if you see the message on the boot
    screen to "Press any key in order to boot from the CD," do so.

    After loading drivers and files, you should be taken to a screen with
    the following:

    To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R.
    To Quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    In your case, press ENTER.

    Agree to the License agreement by pressing F8.

    You will then be taken to a screen with two options.

    To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    press ESC.

    This will bring you to a partition map where you
    can delete, create and format partitions.
    Select the drive you wish to format, delete the partition, then create a new
    partition, format as desired and continue with XP installation.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    satbahadur1 wrote:
    > I have Windows xp pro installed on 80 gig hard drive with NTFS
    > format. How can I Reinstall Windows xp again by cleaning the HD
    > completly and start installing after booting from 6 Floppies I donot
    > want to format HD again. Next how to acquire a bootable CD to format
    > a new HD with FAT32 or NTFS to install Windows xp. Please Help
    > Thanks a Million

    A boot diskette is a thing of the past, as all legitimate WinXP
    installation CDs are already bootable.

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm