Need some input on my CPU temperature

AMDBUM

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2005
Hello all,

I am looking to get some feedback regarding my Conroe temperature. I setup my 6700 on an Asus P5B yesterday with the stock HSF/Thermal Paste and I am getting idle temperatures of about 36/37 degress (2100-2200RPM) on PC Probe and 42/41 on Core Temp. Load temperatures get to about 45-48 (2600-2700RPM) using PC Probe and 54/55 on core temp. With the case open, the temperature drops another 3-5 degrees.

I was wondering if this is normal. Keep in mind that I have reseated and rechecked the mounting of the HSF and that the chip not overclocked and I do not plan to overclock.

Any feedback/recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mhbjmsr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
my 6600 with intel hs gives a reading of 42-45 with asus pc probe and 38-40 with core temp on idle. dont know whats up with the difference. under load pc probe gets to upper 50's, but core temp doesnt go above 46. its not overclocked. i read this is not bad, but also that conroe isn't supposed to give off much heat. the fan is on correctly so maybe the thermal paste sucks or else the temp programs give too high of readings.

AMDBUM

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies...

mpilchfamily,

My case is a Lian Li PC60...I have two front intake 80MM fans (both on medium speed...increasing to max makes no difference), one rear 80mm exhaust, and another 80mm exhaust at the top of the case. I feel a good amount of air coming out of both fans.

The rear exhaust is free of any obstructions while the top has a chunk of wires from my power supply tie wrapped about 5 inches away from the fan. The two front intakes have two hard drives in front (side mounted ie. connectors facing towards the back of the case).

mhbjmsr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
i took the side off my case and the temps went down 2 degrees. i have 2 120 fans blowing in, one from the side and one in the front, an 80 blowing down from the top. only 1 120 blowing out the back. my xtx also blows hot air out the back, but thats mostly from the card and only a little from the case. i'll try switching the side or the top to blow out instead of in and you say that should help.

AMDBUM

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2005
mpilchfamily,

Thanks, I didn't know that...I always thought it was better putting more air into the case since the CPU fan would have more air to cool of the CPU with.

I was also thinking of removing my CD burner since it is not really needed (I have a DVD burner as well) and move the DVD burner to the bottom bay rather than the top. Do you think it will help a little?

AMDBUM

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2005
mpilchfamily,

I tried shutting off both the front intake fans just to see if it would help and it has not made any difference at all...the strange thing is that the air I feeling coming out of the case is pretty cool.

Do you think the CPU cooler orientation may have something to do with it? I remember building a P4 a while back and noticed that the orientation of the heatsink and fan made a big difference...but I am not sure with this one since this HSF is round.

DangerRanger

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I have an E6600 with the Asus P5B motherboard also. My temps are very similar to yours with the Asus Probe. I don't know what the deal is. I have done a little research on the internet and apparently the mobo sensors are a little off. I have ordered some new case fans, should come in today, to help with my case airflow. I'll post here if I have any more findings that are helpful.

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
This is a subject near and dear to me as I have spent quite a bit of time making sure my X6800 wasn't about to burn a $1000 hole in the case. I also get 51c-53c under heavy load. I really like the Core temp program found here:

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137

It seems to give similar results to speedfan but puts a little temp guage down on the lower right task bar. When I'm intensly playing BF2, I can now keep an eye on the temp. Interstingly, when BF2 is running full out I get spikes to 53c, but as soon as I drop off, the core goes quickly back to 43c. It looks like normal Conroe operation.

I also found this link for the Intel Core 2 Thermal specs (Chapter 5) and the 51c-53c doesn't seem bad for high load.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327801.pdf

I have given up and just plan to watch the temp to make sure it never goes over the 53c number. I may water cool soon, but that's just because I want to do it, not becasue I need it. Sad really...

Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock)
Intel D975XBXLRK - 304
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
ATI X1900XTX
74GB 10K Raptor HD
Soundblaster Audigy 2 SZ
NEC OEM DVD Burners (x2)
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case
Ultra X-Finity 600W SLi Certified PSU

AMDBUM

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2005
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input...it has helped very much. I will try a couple of other small things and look into getting better fans for my case...worste case scenario, temps won't change but I don't plan on overclocking and I am within normal operating temperatures, so its not a big deal.

mpilchfamily, I appreciate all the recommendations and information you gave me and I will post my temps when I get some better fans for my casing.

RedRaider_gamer, I wouldn't worry about burning out the chip...if it does get too hot, it will just throttle down and from the temperatures you mentioned, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just enjoy the beast and put it to good use. :wink:

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Well the key to good ariflow in the case is to have more air blowing out of the case then what is being brought in. You may find that is you take one of the front fans out that you will gett a little better temps.

Ur best having more air blowing IN then OUT as more air blowing IN creates more OUTWARD pressure keeping dust out Spez around cd drives, floppys n stuff, when having more air coming OUT creates the oppsite effect. And for gods sake have filers on ALL fans

<link>http://www.snotmonkey.com/content/airflow</link>

The reason for the 2:1 intake to outflow ratio is VERY generalized. This rule of thumb can only be applied to cases with fairly unobstructed intake fans, with a reasonably clear airflow path to the outflow fans.

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hey which case fan did you order? I have same CPU and MoBo and ironically same problem. I have Centrion5 tho and regretting why I didn't get better air flowing case :(