Sign in with
Your question

HDD uhhhh...

Last response: in Storage
August 23, 2006 7:48:19 PM

Noobie question. I got a dell dimension 4600 with 40 GB HDD ATA 133. I am wondering if I can buy another one as a slave drive that is ATA 100? Or do I need to get another 133.

More about : hdd uhhhh

a b G Storage
August 24, 2006 3:10:28 AM

The ATA100 drive should work just fine.
August 24, 2006 4:57:01 PM

While I think an ata100 should work why would you bother with ata 100 when sata is becoming standard and ata 133 isn't much more?
I'd just go ahead and get an ata 133 drive unless you have an ata 100 sitting on the shelf.
Related resources
August 24, 2006 5:24:18 PM

You do know that your Dell has two SATA ports, right? You don't have to limit yourself to PATA.
August 24, 2006 7:11:29 PM

Thanks for the SATA tip. I did not notice those 2 SATA ports. Thanks
August 24, 2006 7:46:39 PM

I am planning on getting the SATA Western Digital 80GB 3GB/s OEM from newegg. Western Digital HDD

can anyone please help me find a good SATA Cable? Color Does not matter.
August 24, 2006 11:12:53 PM

ok I plugged in all the connectors toand from HDD and went to BIOS and turned on the SATA and it said it was unknown. I dunno why it dont work. I am new at this SATA stuff. I dont want it to be as primary since I have one already. Any one know what the prob is? hope its not dead since is brand new like month old and it was sealed in package.
a b G Storage
August 24, 2006 11:46:22 PM

Quote:
ok I plugged in all the connectors toand from HDD and went to BIOS and turned on the SATA and it said it was unknown. I dunno why it dont work. I am new at this SATA stuff. I dont want it to be as primary since I have one already. Any one know what the prob is? hope its not dead since is brand new like month old and it was sealed in package.

Where does it say that the drive is unknown, the BIOS or within windows?

For windows: When you install a new drive, you must go to disk management (right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'). From there, you must activate, partition, and format the hard drive.

For BIOS: The drive you selected is a SATA 3.0GB/s drive and your SATA ports may only support SATA 1.5GB/s. You may need to set up your drive with a jumper or some other setting so that it is operating in SATA 1.5GB/s mode.
August 24, 2006 11:48:17 PM

yeah it was in the BIOS. thanks for the help the jumper was placed incorrectly
August 24, 2006 11:51:07 PM

What do you mean you turned the SATA drive on? Windows should auto recongize it and configure it. You may need to use a WD cd or make a floppy to set up the HD before windows boots up. They some times need to be configured outside of windows before its first use.
a b G Storage
August 24, 2006 11:51:09 PM

Is the drive working now? If so, you'll still need to do the 'Disk Manager' process I described in my previous post.
August 24, 2006 11:52:20 PM

yeah thanks a bunch i was working on it before you posted and my friend came by to help me with it.
!