First Morrowind experience - mods or not?

I bought Morrowind Game of the Year Edition couple of weeks ago, and
next week when I have finished my exams I'm going to finally play it.
Should I install some/any mods to it?

I don't think I'll install any quest mods, but some others sound very
interesting. Wilderness mod pack, as an example, sounds great. How
much more difficult would a Wilderness game be, for a newbie? The same
thing about the weapon/armor balance mods, would a newbie be in
trouble without fast access to the good armors, or ability to get lots
of money by selling few high-quality items?

Also, what parts of the manual do I absolutely have to read? I have
played Daggerfall, and so know some of the basics, and I'm not overly
fond to electronic manuals.

Janne Joensuu,
Endoperez
8 answers Last reply
More about first morrowind experience mods

    "Ooppeli" <spam_wanted_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I bought Morrowind Game of the Year Edition couple of weeks ago, and
    > next week when I have finished my exams I'm going to finally play it.
    > Should I install some/any mods to it?

    I just re-installed Morrowind GOTY after taking the game off my system
    almost a year ago. And the following mods are the very first ones I
    installed and would NOT play the game without them:

    All the Bethesda offical plug-ins.
    Morrowind Patch v1.62

    Better Bodies
    Better Heads
    Ice's Female robes replacers ( for MW, TB, BM)
    Avenger's Female armor
    Avenger's Female shirts
    Prosey's Female pants replacer
    Real signposts
    Silent Character generation

    I'd also consider adding the following mods which effect game balance:

    Mo money
    Herbalism
    Potion sorter

    That's my list of what mods I consider crucial to playing Morrowind at the
    the most basic level.

    > I don't think I'll install any quest mods, but some others sound very
    > interesting. Wilderness mod pack, as an example, sounds great. How
    > much more difficult would a Wilderness game be, for a newbie? The same
    > thing about the weapon/armor balance mods, would a newbie be in
    > trouble without fast access to the good armors, or ability to get lots
    > of money by selling few high-quality items?

    I wouldn't do it your first time through.

    > Also, what parts of the manual do I absolutely have to read? I have
    > played Daggerfall, and so know some of the basics, and I'm not overly
    > fond to electronic manuals.

    I bought Morrowind Prophecies - best twenty dollars I ever spent.

    Good luck. My new character just turned over 10 level last night and I'm
    enjoying every minute of it.

    --
    MJB

    Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
    http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

    "Ooppeli" <spam_wanted_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >I bought Morrowind Game of the Year Edition couple of weeks ago, and
    > next week when I have finished my exams I'm going to finally play it.
    > Should I install some/any mods to it?

    Apart from installing mods that enhance the appearance of the game (new
    textures, heads, etc.), I would play with no mods for your first time
    through, or at least for a few levels so you can get a feel for the game.
    That way you can discover what areas of the game you'd like to improve or
    build on and then go looking for mods that do what you want. Everyone has
    their own likes/dislikes. For example, I tried the wilderness mod and
    didn't like it. Others swear by it. The great thing about Morrowind is
    that everyone can make it their own experience.

    As far as the manual goes, it's not very long so I would skim the entire
    thing, especially the descriptions of how levelling up works, skills,
    classes, birthsigns, and the interface.

    "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> wrote in message
    >> Also, what parts of the manual do I absolutely have to read? I have
    >> played Daggerfall, and so know some of the basics, and I'm not overly
    >> fond to electronic manuals.
    >
    > I bought Morrowind Prophecies - best twenty dollars I ever spent.
    >
    > Good luck. My new character just turned over 10 level last night and I'm
    > enjoying every minute of it.
    >
    > --
    > MJB

    I would absolutely agree about buying the Morrowind Prophesies. It will
    make your life much saner. May I suggest also buying a pack of yellow
    postie stickies to go with it.... makes it easier to locate the relevant
    pages for wherever you are in your journey.

    Starwolf

    "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> skrev i meddelelsen

    > I bought Morrowind Prophecies - best twenty dollars I ever spent.

    ??????? MW Prophecies???

    Have I missed something?

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

    "Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> skrev i meddelelsen
    >
    > > I bought Morrowind Prophecies - best twenty dollars I ever spent.
    >
    > ??????? MW Prophecies???
    >
    > Have I missed something?

    Ummm - the official strategy guide, perhaps?

    It's only 414 pages long.

    --

    "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:d3ejdc02ml7
    @news3.newsguy.com:

    >> ??????? MW Prophecies???
    >> Have I missed something?
    > Ummm - the official strategy guide, perhaps?
    > It's only 414 pages long.

    Ah. I never got that - I usually get WT's and strat guides from the net.

    --

    > "MJB" <mrtinj@OLDSguy.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:d3ejdc02ml7
    > @news3.newsguy.com:
    >
    > >> ??????? MW Prophecies???
    > >> Have I missed something?
    > > Ummm - the official strategy guide, perhaps?
    > > It's only 414 pages long.
    >
    > Ah. I never got that - I usually get WT's and strat guides from the net.

    It's the only strategy guide I've ever bought - like you I relied on web
    walkthroughs. But MW Prophecies definetely give good value - and is fun to
    read just for the text alone. It's also been very useful in a heavily
    modded game to keep baseline information clear - ie, is this encounter
    standard or plug-in?

    I like it alot.

    --

    > It's the only strategy guide I've ever bought - like you I relied on

    My only hintbook is for Ultima VII/2 - Serpent Isle.

    > I like it alot.

    Fair enough.

    --
    Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
    LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
    http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm

Games Video Games