New Core 2 Duo Rig Won't Start.. Please Help

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I just put together a Core 2 Duo System... started it up, but nothing happened. The computer fans are all running at the highest velocity possible and all led case lights are on. Nothing shows up on my monitor, just stays in stand-by mode. I have looked at all wires, and everything seems okay. I have switched monitors but that hasn't made any difference. Any ideas?

I have heard that Core 2 Duo's are not compatible with the P5W DH motherboard until after a bios update (however, they are able to run on the older bios, but not up to their highest performance)

Any ideas on what I can try to do?

Armageddon

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
Have you tried a BIOS reset yet? Sometimes the mobo won't work without a hard reset. ASUS boards are the epitome of weirdness, and this is bad news for me since I got the same board, and planning on ditching my 805 for a 6600 in the immediate future. Please let me know how it goes.

Amerikaner

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Ive got the same exact problem. After uninstalling everything, reinstalling, switching out memory, alternating dvi and dsub, etc. I called Asus. I was under the impression that bios 0701 would work with core 2 duo but the lady told me she "couldnt guarantee" that it would. So im being sent a 1101 bios chip. Im really hoping thats the problem.

Amerikaner

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I cant update the bios if I cant even boot. I dont trust myself hotflashing and I dont have another lga775 processor so Im waiting for the chip.

Armageddon

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I cant update the bios if I cant even boot. I dont trust myself hotflashing and I dont have another lga775 processor so Im waiting for the chip.

Oops my mistake. Missed the "BIOS chip" part of your post. My apologies.

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I just ordered the board and this is what i know. Some people can post with the 0701 and some cant its a hit or miss. From what i understand bios 0801 or higher is the bios that supports Core 2 Duo. The version that im getting is the 0701 so i had to buy a cheap celeron d for like $46.00. If you have an old 775 cpu then you can flash it then use Core 2 Duo. Otherwise youll have to either

Call asus and have them send you a bios chip and replace it
buy or borrow a cpu to flash
I saw a mod but i dont want to try that

Only other thing i can think of is if you put the bios on a floppy and reboot hit alt + F2 and see if the Asus Ez Flash kicks in and lets you update the bios. You can download the manual but since you have the mobo the Ezflash part is on page 4-5 of the manual

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I just built a Core 2 Duo, (E6600), PC using the P5W DH motherboard. I also had heard they wouldn't boot without a BIOS update. The one in my motherboard is labeled 0701 and on ASUS's site it says you need the 1101 BIOS.

I called and the lady I talked to said it would boot, but she would send out a new BIOS chip for free. (I got it today but haven't installed it yet. Only two days from California.) While waiting I figured I had nothing to lose and hooked everything up and pushed the button.

It booted up just fine and everything seems to be OK. I only had to adjust the memory speed in the BIOS. It said my memory was PC4300 instead of the PC6400 I had installed.

The only problem I've got is getting on the Internet. I've tried everything and it still won't connect. I got a couple of errors while installing Windows XP Pro, and I suspect it might have something to do with that. I used the Windows XP Pro disc from my old Gateway and suspect they might have some proprietary files or something that prevent it from installing correctly on anything else.