New Core 2 Duo Rig Won't Post.. Please Help

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I just put together a Core 2 Duo System... started it up, but nothing happened. The computer fans are all running at the highest velocity possible and all led case lights are on. Nothing shows up on my monitor, just stays in stand-by mode. I have looked at all wires, and everything seems okay. I have switched monitors but that hasn't made any difference. Any ideas?

I have heard that Core 2 Duo's are not compatible with the P5W DH motherboard until after a bios update (however, they are able to run on the older bios, but not up to their highest performance)

Any ideas on what I can try to do?

yeason

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Have you tried your current video card in another computer, or a spare vid card in this computer?

Also is it even posting...? Do you get any beeps?

Have you tried reseating the ram, Vid card, and possibly cpu?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It seems if you don't have the 1101 version, its not going to boot.

I suppose you dont have any other P4 CPUs you could stick in there to manually update it.

Only choices I see you have, if the bios isn't 1101, is to take it to a local shop, to where they use another CPU to update the bios, or have Asus ship you another bios chip that has the update.

I think I looked up the right board (P5W DH Deluxe):

Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.B2) ALL

Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.B2) ALL

Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB,rev.B2) ALL

Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66GHz,1066FSB,L2:4MB,rev.B2) ALL

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I took out on of the sticks of ram and it started up fine (bad stick of ram which i need to rma)!

I am running bios revision 801 (came with the computer) and my Core 2 Duo E6600 seems to be working fine. However, something strange is that I had originally thought that I was running bios revision 701 (not compatible with C2D) because it had a sticker that said 701 on the motherboard. But when I went into the bios for the first time, it said revision 801!

ultramo

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I have exact same senario, my bios is 0502, as soon as i called asus they knew they had to send a replacement chip, it is free of charge and already on route.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I took out on of the sticks of ram and it started up fine (bad stick of ram which i need to rma)!

I am running bios revision 801 (came with the computer) and my Core 2 Duo E6600 seems to be working fine. However, something strange is that I had originally thought that I was running bios revision 701 (not compatible with C2D) because it had a sticker that said 701 on the motherboard. But when I went into the bios for the first time, it said revision 801!

you should flash you bios to the latest anyway. Even though it appears to be working already you might get better performance and more peace of mind from a bios that is properly written to deal with your cpu.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I just built a Core 2 Duo, (E6600), PC using the P5W DH motherboard. I also had heard they wouldn't boot without a BIOS update. The one in my motherboard is labeled 0701 and on ASUS's site it says you need the 1101 BIOS.

I called and the lady I talked to said it would boot, but she would send out a new BIOS chip for free. (I got it today but haven't installed it yet. Only two days from California.) While waiting I figured I had nothing to lose and hooked everything up and pushed the button.

It booted up just fine and everything seems to be OK. I only had to adjust the memory speed in the BIOS. It said my memory was PC4300 instead of the PC6400 I had installed.

The only problem I've got is getting on the Internet. I've tried everything and it still won't connect. I got a couple of errors while installing Windows XP Pro, and I suspect it might have something to do with that. I used the Windows XP Pro disc from my old Gateway and suspect they might have some proprietary files or something that prevent it from installing correctly on anything else.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

OK FOR THE LAST TIME... this is has been posted so many times i can't count.

to build a C2D system with the P5W DH that HAS NOT SHIPPED WITH VERSION 801 BIOS:

all you need to do is download the latest BIOS from ASUS
put it on a floppy or USB key
boot your new build
hit ALT + F2 as it boots
place the floppy of USB key in the approrpiate bay or port
and the motherboard will flash the BIOS from your disk or USB key

It's that simple. Then you will have no problems. I did it myself for my build. You don't need any "CHIP" from ASUS if you can do the steps above.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I was under the impression when you say it won't boot, that it doesn't reach the POST screen. I guess I'm wrong then.

I suppose if you get past the POST, you still could update the bios, meaning you boot to a floppy.

Now as far as posting how many times a person may have posted an answer to a problem, with all the other posts, including flaming wars between indiviuals, it is getting increasingly hard to find answers to simple questions where there are a bunch of nonsense threads going on about whos right or wrong.

I myself have answered questions, repeatedly over and over.

I've even tried searching keywords, and finding it hard to find things I've already seen, but yet finding it, is like finding a needle in a hay stack at times, but I noticed finding, perhaps rubbish threads I don't prefer to see.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
I was under the impression when you say it won't boot, that it doesn't reach the POST screen. I guess I'm wrong then.

I suppose if you get past the POST, you still could update the bios, meaning you boot to a floppy.

Now as far as posting how many times a person may have posted an answer to a problem, with all the other posts, including flaming wars between indiviuals, it is getting increasingly hard to find answers to simple questions where there are a bunch of nonsense threads going on about whos right or wrong.

I myself have answered questions, repeatedly over and over.

I've even tried searching keywords, and finding it hard to find things I've already seen, but yet finding it, is like finding a needle in a hay stack at times, but I noticed finding, perhaps rubbish threads I don't prefer to see.

As long as you can turn the motherboard on you can activate the ASUS EZ-Flash with ALT+F2. you can do that with any C2D with any P5W DH BIOS build.

ultramo

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I know that some are getting angry at the same question but i guess i am not catching on.

My system does not post(no beep and a black screen)

i put the new bios on a usb

when i start the computer i hit alt-F2 and nothing happens, absolutely nothing happens.

Am i doing something wrong?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Q: Why does the system fail to boot with Intel Core 2 processor? Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem?

A:
As this motherboard launched before Intel Core 2 processors, the corresponding microcodes were forced to be updated after the launch of these CPUs.

Though most P5W DH Deluxe motherboards come with up-to-date BIOS with the new CPU microcodes capable of supporting Intel Core 2 processors, there may still be a small quantity of motherboards out on the market without this update.

This problem can be resolved by updating BIOS to 0604 or later.
Please use a non-Core 2 processor to boot and perform this BIOS update.
The latest BIOS can be found at http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

If your BIOS happens to be earlier than 0604, and have no non-Core 2 processor in hand, please contact your reseller (place of purchase) for BIOS exchange service.
Moreover, if your reseller is no longer in business or have difficult to do so, please contact your nearest ASUS office directly.

* To contact your nearest ASUS office, please refer to http://support.asus.com/contact/contact.aspx

* To download the latest BIOS, please go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

* For detail CPU support list, please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

pulled from ASUS's website ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

hopefully, this will help some people out

octop8

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
in your case, you may need to get a new bios chip if it doesn't even post, otherwise are you sure the other components are all working fine, e.g. PSU, RAM - or use an older P4 and update it that way

TRENDING THREADS