New build, opinions/suggestions welcome!

NoWindNeil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hello!

After lots of lurking and reading and changing my mind and deciding and then changing my mind again I have come up with the following system.....I think!!

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300
Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)
HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT ICEQ 3
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB ST3320620AS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Thermaltake VA8000SWA Armour Aluminium Super Tower - Silver
Seasonic S12 500W Silent ATX2.0 Power Supply
Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor

Gonna be gaming (Oblivion, BF2 etc), watching movies, general stuff and some stock market trading. Not looking to overclock initially but its something I would like to have a go at in the not too distant future, after much more research!

Just wanted to find out what you guys think really, I've been lurking around here for quite a while now reading advice and opinions and I hope I've put together a decent system that will last me a good while as I'm not looking to upgrade for at least a year or so.

So specific questions would be, will it overclock well when I decide to have a go?
Will the psu be up to the job or should I go for the 600w?
Is that the right RAM for overclocking or can I get CAS5 or even 667 and overclock just as well and save myself a little bit of money?

Any opinions or suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Armageddon

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I'd go with a 975x board (did so myself), and the viewsonic VX2025 wide-screen (1680x1050) for just a bit more. A bit more future-proof setup.

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Unless he's going dual Video and/or needs a full length pci-e slot (for a RAID controller or something) that DS3 is going to be perfectly fine.

I like the build . . . and it's good to see someone pair a decent PSU with their build instead of the ubiquitous "I'm just going to use this old 500w $25 Powmax I had laying around." :roll:

NoWindNeil

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks for the comments so far, I'm not gonna be dual videoing and I'm not gonna go RAID either and as far as I'm aware I won't be putting anything else that would require a full length pci slot in it so I think the DS3 will suit me fine.

I am tempted by the widescreen monitor though! Hmm, can I justify the extra cash? Probably!! I'll talk myself into it I'm sure!!!

Thanks for the kind words nikolokolus, I have been researching this for some time now and one of the things that most people said is, put some money into the psu, so I did!!!

Glad I seem to have made good choices, I'll probably order before the end of the week.

And can I just say thanks to all the people that post advice and suggestions on here, without you, I and many like me, would still be lost trying to decide what to get from the thousands of possibilities out there. So a big thankyou for all the help you've given other people, which in turn has helped me!

doordand

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Go ASUS not Gigabyte. Go WD Raptor not Segate Barracuda. The Barracuda is a great HD but if you are gaming you are going to want speed, the Raptor is the fastest SATA drive so I would go with a Raptor 150Gb. Maybe 2 in a RAID0 or 3 if you have the money. If you want to overclock the RAM, you may need to cool it depending on how much OC'ing you are going to do. Koolance offers an adapter for RAM that works very well. It may just be me, but I just bought the Quadro SLi and it is INCREDIBLE. Look into it. And yes, DEFINATELY go for 600w.