Is 4800X1200 dpi color resolution good enough?

I'm still shopping for a printer. Most of the hp color printer I saw
can do " Up to 4800 optimized dpi color and 1200 input dpi". However,
the deskjet 3845 can do " Up to 4800 x 1200 optimized dpi (1200 x 1200
input dpi)" What's the difference? What's 1200X1200 input dpi?

The photos I'll be printing will be no more than 4X6 in. (A6).

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The best thing to do is take a sharp well composed picture file to the store
and see what it looks like when printed on the printer model you are
considering.

The difference you mention has to do with what increments the paper feed and
head travel mechanism can use, and how the software printer driver
interleaves the printing. The basic movement seems to be 1200x1200, and, due
to the staggered nozzle arrangement on the head, up to 4800 dpi can be
obtained vertically.