Microphone not working

I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1 and
SP2...could this have affected it.

Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset. It
has worked well before

From where did you try adjusting the volume. If you adjusted it on the
hardware check the volume adjustments in Control Panel under Sounds and
Audio devices. Yes, installing either SP1 or SP2 might cause an issue, you
might try removing and reinstalling the drivers and software for the
hardware and if that fails to resolve it, check the manufacturer's website
for the latest XP drivers and software.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Nick Cumberbatch" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
> The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
> modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
> recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
> not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
> volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1
> and SP2...could this have affected it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset.
> It has worked well before

Check the settings for the volume control panel. If you have a speaker icon
in your notification area, just right click on it and select Volume Control
Panel. Otherwise you can access it in the Control Panel.

"Nick Cumberbatch" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
> The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
> modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
> recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
> not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
> volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1
> and SP2...could this have affected it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset.
> It has worked well before

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Make sure you haven't gotten anything in the microphone, like food! ;)

Clark