Microphone not working

I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1 and
SP2...could this have affected it.

Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset. It
has worked well before
3 answers Last reply
More about microphone working

    From where did you try adjusting the volume. If you adjusted it on the
    hardware check the volume adjustments in Control Panel under Sounds and
    Audio devices. Yes, installing either SP1 or SP2 might cause an issue, you
    might try removing and reinstalling the drivers and software for the
    hardware and if that fails to resolve it, check the manufacturer's website
    for the latest XP drivers and software.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Nick Cumberbatch" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
    > The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
    > modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
    > recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
    > not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
    > volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1
    > and SP2...could this have affected it.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset.
    > It has worked well before

    Check the settings for the volume control panel. If you have a speaker icon
    in your notification area, just right click on it and select Volume Control
    Panel. Otherwise you can access it in the Control Panel.

    "Nick Cumberbatch" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
    > The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
    > modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
    > recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
    > not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
    > volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1
    > and SP2...could this have affected it.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset.
    > It has worked well before

    Make sure you haven't gotten anything in the microphone, like food! ;)

    Clark

    > From where did you try adjusting the volume. If you adjusted it on the
    > hardware check the volume adjustments in Control Panel under Sounds and
    > Audio devices. Yes, installing either SP1 or SP2 might cause an issue,
    > you might try removing and reinstalling the drivers and software for the
    > hardware and if that fails to resolve it, check the manufacturer's website
    > for the latest XP drivers and software.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Nick Cumberbatch" <nickcwpg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I am using Win XP Professional with Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
    >> The speaker and mic on laptop work just fine. I use the Xircom ethernet
    >> modem. My headset has worked properly plugged into the ethernet card.
    >> recently I starting experiencing a problem with the headset mic. It does
    >> not work or volume seems really low or muffled. I tried asdjusting the
    >> volume recording level but it does not help. By the way I installed SP1
    >> and SP2...could this have affected it.
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. I am using a basic Plantronics headset.
    >> It has worked well before

Gaming Headsets Ethernet Card Windows XP