What is my best option?

I am thinking about getting a new graphics card because my 9800 pro 128mb has really disappointed me.

I'm looking for a great card that can run games like source without issues. Roughly around $150. With this 9800 i can barely hold 50 fps with a custom FPS config. Since I have had such a poor time with this 9800, I was looking for the best nvidia card.

Here are my specs:
AMD 3000+ 2.16 GHz
1 GB Ram

I am hoping I won't have to upgrade my entire unit (even though its old) because that is too costly. I was also wondering if a gfx card will improve my ingame performance or will I have to upgrade everything?
19 answers Last reply
More about what option
  1. ATI had a X800XL for about $120. This would be a huge improvement.

Also, try tuning up your PC, you can get better performace.
  2. NV has little to offer for $150 in AGP. ATI would be better in a X800XT, X800XL or X850 pro. The 7600GT should be hitting stores shortly. Probably be over $150 though, closer to $200.
  3. Quote:
    ATI had a X800XL for about $120. This would be a huge improvement.

Also, try tuning up your PC, you can get better performace.

I have pretty much tried everything for tuning my computer up, but what do you suggest I could do besides the obvious defrags and spyware scans?
  4. i forgot to mention that it has to be AGP. Is the 7600 a good choice?
  5. Quote:
    I have pretty much tried everything for tuning my computer up, but what do you suggest I could do besides the obvious defrags and spyware scans?

Close all background tasts, and have nothing running in the background.
  6. I overclocked my neighbors 7600GS 100Mhz over defaults(core) a couple of days ago.....I'm really impressed with that little card for what it cost's.

......that, and it's not outdated poop like the X8xx series :roll:
  7. Quote:

Close all background tasts, and have nothing running in the background.

All the background tasks running in the taskmanager? I have around 40-50 things running, how can I tell what to let run and what not to?

Quote:
    I overclocked my neighbors 7600GS 100Mhz over defaults(core) a couple of days ago.....I'm really impressed with that little card for what it cost's.

What if I did not OC it? Would it still perform better than the ATi series that the guy was talking about?
  8. Go to Control Panel -> Administrive Tools -> Services

Disable 1 service at a time. See if PC is running normal, if it is, disable another, if it's not running properly, enable it again. Try to disable as much as possible.
  9. When getting readt to game open task manager, applications tab,there should be nothing running here.
  10. The human eye sees at about 40fps if I am correct, been awhile since I read the article. Movies and average TV is 30-35fps. Therefore anything over that in graphics power will allow more eyecandy but pretty much isnt gonna visually appear any faster. 50fps is good fps in about anything. If its online and jittery its more then likely latency from the connection to the game servers. If things load slowly defrag/clean up your HD. Will make some difference. Faster HDs make load delays shorter. IE maps zoning etc. I get 30-35fps in WoW on a P3 1ghz with a GF 5500 at 4x AGP. Only lag/jitter i get is when loading multiple other players. Noticibly the other faction lol. Never my same faction or NPC/Mobs..kinda odd if ya ask me. I am building a new system specs follow.

Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe

C2D E6400

2GB Corsair Twin 2x XMS2 DDR2-5400c4 (4x512)

Gigabyte 7600GT x2 SLI

Seagate 80gb 7200.10 x2 in RAID 0(I dont need a ton of space)

Enermax Noisetaker 2 600W PFC EPS PS

Sony DRU 820A DVD/RW

This will do all the stuff I need now and in the future. Current system is 7yrs old and still does the job but showing age now. If I can get the load times in WoW fixed with the new system i will be happy.
  11. This may sound kind of obvious, but do you have any firewalls or antivirus programs running? MAN do those things get in the way of framerates!
  12. Quote:
    I overclocked my neighbors 7600GS 100Mhz over defaults(core) a couple of days ago.....I'm really impressed with that little card for what it cost's.

It's still got slow mem though right? 7600GT AGP (while not a 7800GS ;) ) should be a nice buy with it's high clocks. I wonder what it will cost.

Quote:

LOL, would have been dissapointed not to see this come up. :lol:
  13. Quote:
    It's still got slow mem though right?

Yea kinda....it pooped out at 430Mhz(860Mhz if you're stupid)
  14. Quote:
    This may sound kind of obvious, but do you have any firewalls or antivirus programs running? MAN do those things get in the way of framerates!

Yea of course, but I'm not going to disable those.
  15. Quote:
    I am thinking about getting a new graphics card because my 9800 pro 128mb has really disappointed me.... since I have had such a poor time with this 9800, I was looking for the best nvidia card.

Awww don't be so harsh on the venerable 9800 pro. That bad boy is like 3 years old at least. Was quite the monster back in the day. Hell, my buddy has a 256meg version in his dual 1.8 powermac g5 and it still runs games pretty well (for a mac :P)

Anyway, you and I are in the same boat. I got a 3000+ s754 with a 6800 ultra agp and totally shot myself in the foot upgrade path-wise. Bought it about a month before 939/pcix came out. Was too much of a noob to do sufficient research before buying. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again.

On the bright side, now we both have a legitimate excuse to upgrade to a shiny new Core 2 based rig and throw the AMD in the kiddie's playroom.
  16. Quote:
    The human eye sees at about 40fps if I am correct, been awhile since I read the article. Movies and average TV is 30-35fps. Therefore anything over that in graphics power will allow more eyecandy but pretty much isnt gonna visually appear any faster. 50fps is good fps in about anything. If its online and jittery its more then likely latency from the connection to the game servers. If things load slowly defrag/clean up your HD. Will make some difference. Faster HDs make load delays shorter. IE maps zoning etc. I get 30-35fps in WoW on a P3 1ghz with a GF 5500 at 4x AGP. Only lag/jitter i get is when loading multiple other players. Noticibly the other faction lol. Never my same faction or NPC/Mobs..kinda odd if ya ask me. I am building a new system specs follow.

Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe

C2D E6400

2GB Corsair Twin 2x XMS2 DDR2-5400c4 (4x512)

Gigabyte 7600GT x2 SLI

Seagate 80gb 7200.10 x2 in RAID 0(I dont need a ton of space)

Enermax Noisetaker 2 600W PFC EPS PS

Sony DRU 820A DVD/RW

This will do all the stuff I need now and in the future. Current system is 7yrs old and still does the job but showing age now. If I can get the load times in WoW fixed with the new system i will be happy.

I realize that fact about the fps, the problem is that tv/movies stay at a CONSTANT rate where my game fps changes drastically where ever i am in the map.

I want a card that will prevent this from happening. Going from indoors on a map with 80 fps to outside and dropping down to 30 fps is not nice.

So does anyone know a card powerful enough to keep this from occuring?
  17. i think.. since the beginning of this year; for the money 150$ -> your best bet is to go with the 7600GS.

It gives you good frame rates for most games that are existent as of now. Spending anymore on a graphics card (AGP) is not worth it unless you upgrade to a PCE-E motherboard :)

I myself am looking to see what 7600GS i should purchase, as i am moving from the ATI AIW 9600 (love playing BF2) but frame rates could stand to do better; thats why getting a new card. Also, my card doesnt really play any of the new games (from Doom - Quake 4 etc etc) atleast not in the fps that most people would enjoy !!
  18. Quote:
    This may sound kind of obvious, but do you have any firewalls or antivirus programs running? MAN do those things get in the way of framerates!

Before I game, I turn all that stuff off, and restart them when I'm done. Virus and spyware protection programs eat up a lot of system resources. You'd see a noticable difference playing with them off.

For disabling services, this is a good reference guide.

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
  19. Quote:

Before I game, I turn all that stuff off, and restart them when I'm done. Virus and spyware protection programs eat up a lot of system resources. You'd see a noticable difference playing with them off.

For disabling services, this is a good reference guide.

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

Same thing I do. You were asking for tuning advice and that's what I was giving you. I don't think it will kill you to disable them while you're playing the games if that's going to improve the experience.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics