Ram options, compatibility and price

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I'm planning a computer for gaming based around an E6600 and a Radeon X1900XT and I'm having a hard time making a decision on what RAM to get.

I'm buying all my parts from a nearby computer store and my memory options are here:Link

I've picked all my other parts, leaving me with roughly $300 for ram.

My original plan was to get the OCZ which are perfectly priced ddr2-800 for me. (Platinum has 4-5-4, Platinum R2 has 4-4-4, think it's worth the extra 20$?). I had picked an ASUS motherboard and I read recently that they had compatibility issues with OCZ ram.

With this in mind, I looked 1 step above and 1 below the OCZs. There's the ddr2-667 Corsair TWINX C4 (which is oddly priced cheaper than the CVS) for $250 and there's the ddr2-800 Corsair TWINX C4 for $370 which is getting expensive. They both run at 4-4-4-12 timings.

Another path I thought of taking is changing the motherboard from ASUS Motherboard to GIGABYTE Motherboard. They're the same price and by doing the switch I could pick the OCZ ram.

What do you suggest I do?

Mondoman

Splendid
I'd go with the Corsair TwinX for $250. You're right to stay away from the various "value" lines, especially Corsair's, but "normal" Corsair stuff is very good and shouldn't lead to incompatibility problems. There's also the issue of what RAM speed your CPU can make use of. At a FSB of 1066MHz, DDR2-667 running in dual-channel mode should be enough to saturate your CPU's FSB.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I am wondering why you are purchasing everything from a local store? I have no problems with it, but places like newegg and zipzoomfly can save you $50-100 off retail price and offer excellent return policies. Also you can find a wider brand availibility.

however, if you have to choose I would definately stay away from value RAM, it just plain sucks. It barely meets the minimum spec requirements and provdes no headroom if you ever want to OC. I have played with value ram before on a P4C and it sucked royally, worst waste of money ever.

If you willing to entertain online shopping, check out Mushkin. It is some great ram.