memory vs. soundcard question

Hello-

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I just bought a new graphics card to upgrade to PCIE (7900gs) and am now having to choose a new mobo.

I've found an asus mobo on newegg that will use ddr ram that I currently have as well as being PCI Express x16.
found here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131576

Now my question is I was wondering if I should buy a mobo that uses ddr2 instead of this and buy some ddr2 memory

or

should I buy the asus one, use my current memory, and buy a soundblaster x-fi.

Which would give my system a better performace boost? Is the ddr2 worth it over regular ddr?

How much does the x-fi actually alleviate work from the processor?

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about memory soundcard question
  1. To be honest, I think the mobo you posted won't be much of an upgrade, in the sense that it will seriously limit your upgrading possibilities down the road. If I were you, I would get a DDR2 board (AM2 if you're on a budget, Conroe if you can afford it) so that you'll have both a nice processor for your money, and the ability to upgrade if you choose to do so. Oh and about the X-Fi, I think for the money the Audigy 4 is a better deal at almost half the price and (correct me if I'm wrong) pretty much the same CPU offload.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not going to buy a processor just quite yet. I am currently running a p4 3ghz processor socket 775. I was simply going to buy a socket 775 board and transfer my current processor over to it.

I think I will go with the ddr2 board so that I can get a sli mobo that will allow me to upgrade to two cards in the future.

Thanks again.
  3. No prob. One last thought though: if I were you, I would look into getting an LGA775 mobo that supported Conroe. You'll be very happy you took that step in advance! Goodluck and have fun!
  4. I'll have to do that. Are there any boards out there that you would recommend that will support my current cpu and a conroe as well?
  5. I hate to say this but I'm not sure if they exist, what I meant was maybe looking if they did. Sorry that I can't be better help :oops:
  6. OK I did some research and yes, the new P965 and 975X chipsets from intel are backwards compatible so you can use your processor with them. You can also get an NForce 5 series. For what it's worth, the ASUS P5NSLI is a very well equipped motherboard for you money. Hope this helped! :)
  7. Awesome. It has been a big help. Thanks again!
  8. Sure thing, have fun and good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Product