Ready to order... I think

Web

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
I've been in Iraq for the past year and will finally leave in a couple weeks so I'm going to order all my parts in the next week so they're waiting for me. My budget is $1K +/- My 13-yr-old plays some online FPS stuff, I pretty much stick to the single player FPS (COD2, MOH, etc) and do some photo editing.

My old system is a Socket A 1.18Ghz (don't remember what model) w/ 512mb ram, and a 6 or 7 yr-old video card

I thought about C2D, but decided to stick w/ AMD (not a fanboy, just comfortable I guess). Hoping AMD will come through in a year or so with a compatable upgrade AM3.

My biggest questions are about the RAM - I'm not a big OC'er (just learning) so don't necessarily need the top of the line, but I've seen so many people having issues w/ anything other than top $$$ stuff. I'd love to go 2GB, but can I use less expensive RAM w/o major issues?

Also, I've seen a lot of threads on OCing the 3800, but none on the 4200. For $40 difference I figure I'll start with a little boost unless someone knows the 4200 sucks or something.

The MB from Epox is reviewed at anandtech.com. I've had good luck with EPOX in the past, and I just can't make myself spend $200 on a MB

Thanks for any advice/help

All prices our from NewEgg.

$187 AMD AM2 X2 4200
$140 EPOX EP-MF570SLI
$200 Saphire x1800XT 256
$49 CoolerMaster case
$100 Hiper 580w modular PSU
$154 Corsair Twin 2x1024-6400c4 (2x512 sticks)
$40 Samsung DVD/CD
$80 Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB HDD 16mb cache, sata2
$90 Windows XP Home w/SP2

Total about $1050 US

Also grabbing a 19" LCD to replace my old 19" CRT

$265 View Sonic VX922

Anything jump out as questionable? Thanks for any help guys/gals. I've learned a lot reading these forums last few weeks. Whoever does the vid card post/comparison thread - you rock!

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Looks like a very good, well thought out build.

The AM2 will appreciate the lower CAS ram. I don't have any first hand experience with either the 3800+ versus the 4200+, maybe someone will stumble along who can give you a more definitive answer; otherwise I would say the 4200+ looks good for a measly extra 40 bucks.

and . . . welcome home.

Web

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004
Thanks for the feedback

The only reason I'm getting the SLI board is because I've had good luck with Epox (have 3 other builds running them).

For the gaming I do, I don't see any need for SLI so the 2nd PCIe 16 slot is just coming along for the ride - who knows, maybe they'll come up with some physics card or something later on that will make it useful.

Then again, since I have a 13 yr-old son, maybe he'll convince me we need SLI and we'll switch over to nVidia later :roll:

I was planning on getting the 7900GT KO, but seeing the 1800XT for $199 just seems to good to pass up.

From this forum and the NewEgg customer reviews, it seems like Asus is having issues with its AM2 boards - especially with RAM. I can put the pieces together, but I'm a virgin when it comes to trying to troubleshooting so I'm kind of avoiding known problems.

I can handle people shooting at me, but I'll be damned if I can figure out bios, cmos, etc

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
$40 Samsung DVD/CD
Is that a burner?

I use this NEC. Its only made 2 coasters in 500 burns. That could be due to the media or burning software too. Its on sale for under $30.00 w/ free shipping. Little cheaper but with a 13 year-old you need all the help you can get. :roll: :D

Just a thought. Welcome back.

TRENDING THREADS