Problem with Internet connectivity on a newly built system.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I just built my first computer using an ASUS P5W DH MB, an Intel E6600, a BFG 7900GTX video card, 2 GB of OCZ DDR2 800 memory and a 300 gigabyte Seagate SATA 2 hard drive.

I built it and it started up just fine. I installed Windows XP Pro using the disc from my old Gateway and got a few error messges about not being able to install some files. I told the install program to just continue and everything seems to run fine, but I cannot connect to the internet.

The MB has two LAN connections on it and I set everything up according to a tech from Comcast who said everything was set correctly, but the computer still lists the connection as being plugged in, but no connectivity.

Any suggestions as to what I might have screwed up or is it possible that Gateway had some proprietary files on the disc that prevent it from installing correctly on any other computer?

I was trying to save a little money considering the cost of buying a new Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I just built my first computer using an ASUS P5W DH MB, an Intel E6600, a BFG 7900GTX video card, 2 GB of OCZ DDR2 800 memory and a 300 gigabyte Seagate SATA 2 hard drive.

I built it and it started up just fine. I installed Windows XP Pro using the disc from my old Gateway and got a few error messges about not being able to install some files. I told the install program to just continue and everything seems to run fine, but I cannot connect to the internet.

The MB has two LAN connections on it and I set everything up according to a tech from Comcast who said everything was set correctly, but the computer still lists the connection as being plugged in, but no connectivity.

Any suggestions as to what I might have screwed up or is it possible that Gateway had some proprietary files on the disc that prevent it from installing correctly on any other computer?

I was trying to save a little money considering the cost of buying a new Windows XP.

What does the device manager say about them?

Did you install the LAN drivers off your motherboard CD?

t53186

Distinguished
Do yourself a favor and drop $135 for a new OEM verison of XPpro with SP2 and avoid loading any older drivers. You could save grief now and further down the road.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I installed the LAN drivers from the ASUS install disc. After installing the OS, I installed SP2 which I had downloaded earlier.

The only problem I had with installing the items from ASUS is when it was installing the Intel chipset files. It said it couldn't find a file named i386. I couldn't find it on the OS disc by searching manually.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006

Had this exact same problem yesterday with my new built system with an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Motherboard drove me nuts for hours. Come to find out I had to install the 590 chipset Lan driver from the motherboard CD, better yet, go to Nvidia and get th latest ones and download them and install them they work great!

Hope it solves your problem!

I also agree though, you would be better off buying a brand new copy of XP Pro, you can get an OEM copy from Newegg for like $135.00.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Device manager says that it's plugged in but no connectivity. I know the connections working and so is the cable modem, becasue I can then into my old computer and it works fine.

That's what I running on now, the old Gateway.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I installed the LAN drivers from the ASUS install disc. After installing the OS, I installed SP2 which I had downloaded earlier.

The only problem I had with installing the items from ASUS is when it was installing the Intel chipset files. It said it couldn't find a file named i386. I couldn't find it on the OS disc by searching manually.

So when it gave you this error did the install fail, stop or did it go all the way to the end and finish correctly? Sounds to me that your problem is with an incorrectly installed version of XP that the lan drivers can't install on top of. Just my opinon of course.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

So when it gave you this error did the install fail, stop or did it go all the way to the end and finish correctly? Sounds to me that your problem is with an incorrectly installed version of XP that the lan drivers can't install on top of. Just my opinon of course.

OP: i386 is not a file, but the folder that Windows drivers sit in on a Windows CD.

Alazeer: I agree with you too by the way, on wrong drivers.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I installed the LAN drivers from the ASUS disc. They said they installed correctly.

It was installing what it said was the Intel chipset something, when it gave the error message. After telling it to ignore that, it finished the install.

Device manager says everything's OK. The LAN connection says it's plugged in, but that it has 'low or no connectivity'.

I called Comcast, and their tech went through all the settings for the connection, and said everything was fine on their end.

I tried the original install on the OS twice and got the same error messages each time. I don't remember the names of the two files it said it couldn't install, but it also said something about not being able to copy the 'driver.cab' to the new hard drive.

Everything else seems fine, just not able to connect to the internet, and I know the cable modem and everything else on Comcast's end is working.