Sign in with
Your question

EPOX EP-MF570SLI question

Last response: in Motherboards
August 24, 2006 1:26:17 AM

I've used Epox for all three builds I've done in the past, but usually I go for a board that's been around for awhile. Don't have that luxury w/ AM2 now, but I want to stick w/ Epox and the 570 chipset fits my budget.

This board got good reviews at anandtech.com during their round up of AM2 boards, so I was ready to buy, but...

This board isn't even listed on Epox's webpage. With all the problems that other boards (Asus especially) have had with RAM it'd be nice to know what will work.

If I have to go with the Corsair XMS DDR2 800, then I can only afford 2x512. If this board will work with cheaper RAM then I can get 2Gb.

I've been searching all over, but other than the anandtech review I haven't seen much about this board.

Does anyone own this board and what do you think of it?

thanks

More about : epox mf570sli question

August 24, 2006 5:22:59 PM

The problem is that there isn't much info that I can find about this board and its RAM. The only review I found had it matched with the Corsair XMS. This tracks with everything I've read about AM2 not working well with other RAM. Are you using something else?

I'd love to go the 2Gb route, but just can't afford to drop $230+ right now on XMS and I'm worried about spending a little less on RAM that won't work with the board/AM2. Looking around $150 I can get the 2x512 XMS and figure I can up that later.
August 24, 2006 10:42:33 PM

I would like to know more on this board also..as Wusy knows im looking at this MOB too..I already bought the XMS 1 gig cas 4 mem so ill just stick with it..
Related resources
September 23, 2006 6:54:14 PM

I got my board and AM2 4200 last week. I went cheap and got Kingston HyperX 667 Ram. Everything works fine - but I'm beating my head against the wall trying to OC this combo.

The Bios will let me change settings, but then as it boots it hits the "health" page and forces me to go with the "safe" mode which reverts everything back to the original settings - UGGHHHH

As far as just setting up and using the board though, it was simple - no issues whatsoever.

later
web
September 23, 2006 7:18:45 PM

Quote:
I got my board and AM2 4200 last week. I went cheap and got Kingston HyperX 667 Ram. Everything works fine - but I'm beating my head against the wall trying to OC this combo.

The Bios will let me change settings, but then as it boots it hits the "health" page and forces me to go with the "safe" mode which reverts everything back to the original settings - UGGHHHH

As far as just setting up and using the board though, it was simple - no issues whatsoever.

later
web

Well, I don't know much about the overclocking capabilites of today's epox motherboards, but i do know very well that in the past they were like overclocking monsters (talking about the 8KHA+ days).

Maybe some hardware is holding you back, like the memory or some "auto" setting in the bios.
September 23, 2006 7:23:19 PM

This board is supposed to be good - part of the reason I got it and the 4200 was that I was hoping to OC a little and have a stud machine for low $$$.

I'm a newbie at OCing so I guess I'll keep plugging away and see what happens
September 28, 2006 8:32:32 PM

Ok, I'm an idiot. In the FSB setting I was typing in the full FSB (ie 220, 210 etc) instead of just the overclock (ie 10, 20). The board thought I wanted to make the FSB 400+ and told me to drop dead. :oops: 

I'm stable now at 2.5 with the x4200 at stock voltages. I can boot into windows at 2.6+, but can't get through prime. I think I need to add a little juice, but it may be a memory issue (I definately recommend the DDR2 800 instead of the 667). Still trying to figure out the memory settings - the bios on this board uses different terms than all the stickies and guides I've found so I'm using my Rosetta stone (ie trial and error) to figure it out.

Overall the board is working great no issues at all and I love the bios update utility it comes with - no floppy drive.

Just in case anyone cares, I'm also running an x1800GTO2 and man it's like night and day from the 3 yr-old card I had. I know it was strange to buy an SLI board and run an ATI chip, but I wasn't planning on using the SLI and just wanted the 570 chipset.

This is my third Epox board and all have been rock solid. My socket A and 939 boards are still running smooth after 5+ and 3+ years.
!