Sign in with
Your question

My First System... Opinions before I buy

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2006 1:33:22 AM

First, A little background on my current system (Which is nothing fantastic at all, trust me). A don't know too much about the specifics of everything so i'll post what Sandra tells me I have:

MSI-MS-6380E Motherboard
AMD Athalon 2.0GHz
2GB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-7 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR2
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
76gb Maxtor HD

So as you can see, nothing great at all... Computer was given to me to I used it, but i'm planning to build a new computer soon. It will be used mainly for gaming (World of Warcraft mostly)/goofing off with a little bit of accounting software for college. Tell me what you think about this setup so far:

Hanns·G JW-199DPB Black 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Intel D975XBX
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Wintec AMPX 3AXD2675-1G2S-R
ATI Radeon X1900 XT
Seagate Barracuda 360GB
Tuniq 120

The only things left that I have to choose are a PSU, Case, Speakers, and perhaps a Sound Card. I don't know how well the onboard audio is with that motherboard so any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now i'm only really looking into 2.1 sound. Right now i'm looking into the harmon kardon soundstick II, but i'm open to any options for great 2.1 sound. I don't have a need for full surround sound with my computer with I have it with my xbox/tv already and I have a small apartment. I'm trying to keep my budget under $1800 as well. I would like to overclock the chip some. I've seen it done to over 4.0 with the Tuniq running on just air, but thats a bit too much for me. Does anyone know where the Tuniq is in stock at? So give me some opinions.

More about : system opinions buy

August 24, 2006 1:36:37 AM

Not a bad system but 3 things:

1) You don't need a 1900XT to play WOW. Save money and downgrade that video card to maybe a 7600GT. Get a DX10 card when they come out if you want a nice card.

2) IF you want to overclock to anywhere near 4.0 you need DDR2-800 RAM. 667 just isnt going to work very well.

3) For 2.1 onboard sound is more than acceptable, no need to buy a sound card.
August 24, 2006 2:20:47 AM

Quote:
Not a bad system but 3 things:

1) You don't need a 1900XT to play WOW. Save money and downgrade that video card to maybe a 7600GT. Get a DX10 card when they come out if you want a nice card.

2) IF you want to overclock to anywhere near 4.0 you need DDR2-800 RAM. 667 just isnt going to work very well.

3) For 2.1 onboard sound is more than acceptable, no need to buy a sound card.

Could recommend some RAM that would fit my needs? What speakers would you recommend for really good 2.1?
Related resources
August 24, 2006 8:18:28 PM

Any other opinions? Im planning to order tonight. Video Card? Other cases? Where to get a Tuniq 120? Other opininons?
August 24, 2006 10:35:14 PM

Well, if your not going to overclock the CPU, don't bother with the Tuniq 120. Just get some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, the CPU comes with a good enough heatsink/fan kinda, I would recommend a Zalmen fan and your all good. As for the PSU, get a Antec TruePower 550w and that would do do just fine. I have no idea for speakers, I think that's personal opinion or experiences. And if your just playing WoW, like the other guy said pick a eVga 7600GT, you won't go wrong with them.
August 24, 2006 11:29:35 PM

I do plan to overclock some... Just probably not to the effect of 4.0GHz unless i'm positive it could handle it and be stable. Half the reason I want the Tuniq is for look too... that thing is badass. Any other RAM suggestions or explaination on why I need the better RAM... I'm clueless on all of RAM issues like timing and all.

I appreciate all the help and would love to hear some more.
August 25, 2006 12:08:33 AM

That system is definately overkill if the only game youre gonna be playing is WoW. You could save like over $500 by dropping down to an e6300 and like a 7600gt.
August 25, 2006 12:15:16 AM

Well, currently WoW is all I play, but I'm a gamer in general... just nothing has struck my fancy yet. I have Oblivion on my 360 so no need to play it on the PC.

How do you get saving $500?
August 25, 2006 1:35:16 AM

Quote:
Well, currently WoW is all I play, but I'm a gamer in general... just nothing has struck my fancy yet. I have Oblivion on my 360 so no need to play it on the PC.

200 on the CPU and 300 on the video card give or take
August 25, 2006 2:20:22 AM

Quote:

Yup. It's up to you, but if youre not a hardcore gamer then that's what I'd reccomend. You can always upgrade later if there's some newfangled game you just have to play.

Build for your current needs but plan for future ones.
August 25, 2006 4:26:58 AM

Quote:

I was getting $200 from the CPU and ~$150 for the card. The ATI Radeon X1900 XT I originally said was only $300 and the 7600 GT is $150. If my prices are right that is.

I figured, I do plan to upgrade to a DX10 card when they release, but probably not for almost 6-8 months after they do. I choose the E6600 because I figured by the time i'm ready for a DX10 card, that CPU will still be one of the best hopefully.

So again, any thoughts or comments? My motherboard a good selection? I was thinking of either it or the ASUS P5W-DH, but if the Intel board can overclock good then I dont see a point. Let me know.
August 25, 2006 2:57:03 PM

Quote:

I was getting $200 from the CPU and ~$150 for the card. The ATI Radeon X1900 XT I originally said was only $300 and the 7600 GT is $150. If my prices are right that is.

I figured, I do plan to upgrade to a DX10 card when they release, but probably not for almost 6-8 months after they do. I choose the E6600 because I figured by the time i'm ready for a DX10 card, that CPU will still be one of the best hopefully.

So again, any thoughts or comments? My motherboard a good selection? I was thinking of either it or the ASUS P5W-DH, but if the Intel board can overclock good then I dont see a point. Let me know.

Intel boards do not offer overclocking features at all unless its the Badaxe board.
!