Sign in with
Your question

Can I jimmy E6600 guts into a Dimenshun 4500?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2006 2:26:37 AM

I'm looking to get:
E6600, Mobo, Ram, Graphics Card
and throw it in my old Del dimenshun 4500 until I can upgrade case & powersource. Can I build this and just keep my old hard drive? I have XP professional. I work from home and use illustrator heavily. It clogs with those damn gaussian blurs. I run Illustrator cs2, itunes, firefox, snagit, and sometimes photoshop cs2 @same time on my old 2.0 P4, poor thing. I have GeForce 6800GS AGP that won't work in new motherboard, right? I know this sounds ghetto, but I don't want to compromise the proc as I upgrade so rarely (and apparently they destroy the AMD's I was looking at). I'm on a budget (~$650+) and will sell PNWHY 6800GS 8x in the process for 100 hopefullly.

Gamings is relatively low priority, need above mentioned apps to fly. Together.

Please advise, please feel free to elaborate.
August 24, 2006 3:15:11 AM

:lol: 

Well... noone is.. perfect?

(Wife in background... ) <Say, dear.. can you move the couch over there.. seems to go with the picture on the wall...)

(Few mins later... ) <Well, I was wrong, could you move it over there, perhaps, it will look better with the curtains.)
August 24, 2006 1:04:05 PM

Quote:
Each morning I wake up to dress myself and my wife complains about something --- your shirt doesn't go with those pants, or those socks clash with your shoes....

I must say, you avatar does not go with your signature :)  ...

I must say --- I get a chuckle when I see it.

Why? :cry: 

That avatar is like my underwear, it's been there for a really looong time. :) 

sweet :)  you should change your avatar to core 2 duo :p 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 24, 2006 1:17:40 PM

Most of the powersupplies that dell uses are proprietary so they will not interchange with other parts.
August 24, 2006 1:19:14 PM

I didn't see that you had already replied the same thing that I said. A new powersupply probably won't fit in that case either.
August 24, 2006 1:32:36 PM

Quote:
That avatar is like my underwear, it's been there for a really looong time. :) 

What did you do with that T-Bird junker? I'm dying to know.
August 24, 2006 1:43:16 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to get:
E6600, Mobo, Ram, Graphics Card
and throw it in my old Del dimenshun 4500 until I can upgrade case & powersource. Can I build this and just keep my old hard drive? I have XP professional. I work from home and use illustrator heavily. It clogs with those damn gaussian blurs. I run Illustrator cs2, itunes, firefox, snagit, and sometimes photoshop cs2 @same time on my old 2.0 P4, poor thing. I have GeForce 6800GS AGP that won't work in new motherboard, right? I know this sounds ghetto, but I don't want to compromise the proc as I upgrade so rarely (and apparently they destroy the AMD's I was looking at). I'm on a budget (~$650+) and will sell PNWHY 6800GS 8x in the process for 100 hopefullly.

Gamings is relatively low priority, need above mentioned apps to fly. Together.

Please advise, please feel free to elaborate.

Here are issues that you might (and probably will have):
1) The new motherboard doesn't fit into the case
2) The power supply doesn't have a 24-pin connector (almost ALL new motherboards have a 24-pin power connector)
3) The power supply doesn't provide enough wattage/amperage to run the new stuff
4) The Windows CD from Dell is proprietary, meaning that it won't let you install Windows on a retail motherboard

That is why I wouldn't try it. You can build a complete Pentium D based system for $650. It's not a Core 2 Duo, but it will still blow away your current crap, especially in multitasking. You mentioned that gaming isn't high on your list of priorities, so you can cheap out on the video card, which will let you get 2 gigs of RAM.

If you like this idea, let me know, and I'll come up with a parts list from newegg.
August 24, 2006 2:39:36 PM

Quote:
Trying to sell it (anyone interested?), if I can't sell it, I'll trade it for a Zalman PC cooler at local store (know few people there), if that won't happen, I'll probably give it some "plastic surgery". :wink:

I'd hold onto it for like 50 years, and then sell it to a museum.
August 24, 2006 2:43:02 PM

I agree with several other posters. Power supply will be the big hurdle as far as using the existing Dell case/ps.

If you check out the power supply and it DOES actually appear it'll work then time for a craft/art project. Have a smallish piece of plywood or other board laying around? paint that sucker and mount the mobo to it :)  Then I'd actually bond that PS to the board with some good glue for metals and or woods, maybe even paint the PS if its ugly and maybe neatly tape the wires with electrical tape to save the cost of real cable wraps since you're replacing it and there should be some L shaped hooks at local hardware store to "mount" the HDD on. Maybe glue a smidge of soft material to these so not to have metal on metal vibration from the HDD.

OK so this sounds nuts and probably is but look at it this way, you'd have a good conversation starter(I'd hang it on the wall off to one side of my monitor so its prominent) and if you're really neat it'll look art/deco or something. An added bonus is it'll keep you busy enough to not worry about your situation too much for a day or so and give you the needed time to save the $ for that new case.

Alright I'm nuts but its just what came to mind so figured I'd share lol :lol: 
August 24, 2006 3:10:35 PM

Quote:
angry_ducky wrote:
prozac26 wrote:
Trying to sell it (anyone interested?), if I can't sell it, I'll trade it for a Zalman PC cooler at local store (know few people there), if that won't happen, I'll probably give it some "plastic surgery".

You think it'll be worth anything then?

Well on the one hand, we might in 50 yrs have advanced to the point in technology that your cpu is reflected back on with much nostalgia and reverance much like we admire the tools of ancient man in our museums.

On the other hand we may have advanced technology in 50 yrs to the point the machines have no further use for us and destroy us all. They will develop emotion and a sense of nostalgia and view your cpu in their museum of their evolution from the lowly chips of today to the self-aware thinking and feeling machines of their time.

Of course thats all speculation and it might just get a laugh in 50 yrs time! :) 
August 24, 2006 3:32:58 PM

Antec NSK4400 case on newegg is $77 with 380W PCI-E powersuply. They work great and have awesome cooling and are quiet. I used it for a E6600 workstation I built here at work. I have used 3 of them and they work great - very inexpensive for what you get. Honestly trying to cannabalize a dell enclosure and PSU is a effort in futility.
August 24, 2006 3:34:39 PM

I've got a 486 that'll be worth even more in 50 years. :wink:
August 24, 2006 3:45:39 PM

Quote:
Trying to sell it (anyone interested?), if I can't sell it, I'll trade it for a Zalman PC cooler at local store (know few people there), if that won't happen, I'll probably give it some "plastic surgery". :wink:

You think it'll be worth anything then?
It won't be worth anything; that was just my way of saying that I'm not interested in buying it. Maybe you should give it to the Salvation Army.
August 24, 2006 3:56:57 PM

Quote:
One of the many reasons not to buy a dell.....

True enough. I have a Dell Precision Workstation, and I'm hating it. There's pretty much no upgrade path if you own a dell, and trying to figure out what CPUs are support by your mobo is nearly impossible.
August 24, 2006 4:07:21 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to get:
Del dimenshun...
powersource...
gaussian blurs...
6800GS AGP that won't work in new motherboard, right?

You my friend....should never lay your hands on a computer for as long as your alive...please have a friend or grandson build a computer for you.
August 24, 2006 4:30:58 PM

Getting past the majority of people on this thread who have no idea wtf they're talking about, here's what is needed to perform your upgrade: Note that the mobo I used was the Asrock 775i65G, which supports Conroe with rev 2.0 (Mine is rev. 1.3, check Newegg for my review). Anandtech also did an article on it along with other low cost Conroe boards in the Part 2 series of DDR ram with Conroe. I you think your 6800GS is good enough for the 3d apps you do, you could go this route.

Here's the thread you'll be interested in:

Dell case + D805 + 250 watt PSU = goodness

btw, I just sold my Dell 4500 mobo on Ebay, and got a cool $115 for it. Add to that the $40 I got for my 2.4B, and the total cost for the mobo/cpu upgrade was within $20. :twisted:

As Prozac mentioned, if the Windows XP installation currently on your hard drive won't play nice with the new hardware. You could perform a repair installation if you need to keep all your data, or you could just copy off all the necessary files before you perform the hardware upgrade. Someone also mentioned at one time that you could delete all the drivers before doing the upgrade, and the next time you boot, all the new hardware drivers will be loaded, almost like what happens when you put a HDD with a Win98/ME install into a new computer. However, if your copy of Windows XP is the DELL oem version, it will trigger a mandatory call to microsoft to get a new product key, as the factory Dell oem XP CDs look for a Dell bios to prevent product activation.
August 24, 2006 7:35:34 PM

Quote:
I've got a 486 that'll be worth even more in 50 years. :wink:

I've got a 386DX40 that will be worth more than your 486 in 50 years.
:wink: :wink:
August 24, 2006 7:41:37 PM

That all depends on whether you have a Dimension or a "dimenshun".
August 24, 2006 8:42:13 PM

It doesn't earn the correct spelling anymore. I wish it shunned.
!