939, 3500+ fried. Another 3500+ or 3800+ 512KB

speedo

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
My mom's cpu got fried.

I would like to know if I can safely install a 3800+ without reinstalling everything. If not, I will get a 3500+. Both are single core.

I cannot spend more then 200CND, I mean it. There is only a 15 dollars difference between both cpu's, so the 3800+ is attractive.

Have any of you ever upgrade ur cpu without reinstalling anything? Do you think it'll be ok...?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
How did you determine if the CPU is fried?

Should be able to use the 3800+ with no real problems, if the MB is working correctly, and supports it. (chances are it should)

I'd double check the MB spec's just to be sure as well.

The only thing switching to a dual core, you may run into problems with XP's HAL.

speedo

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Thank you very much,

I opened it and saw the fan was not running properly as it used to, it stoped fews seconds after I turn the pc on.

So I put a different PSU and tried it again, same problem. I took off the cpu, the fan was running.

We cannot see anything on the monitor. I thought we might have to change our Video card, but...I believe that It might be the cpu.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Wish it could be that simple, but seeing the CPU fan not turn, doesn't tell you if its good or bad.

A CPU will continue to run even if the fan is bad (stops working or turning), for say.

Determining if a CPU bad is usually somewhat hard, but usually the bios can reporting it on the screen, or through system beeps.

The only method I know, to be more sure, is to trying the CPU on another MB, which isn't usually an option to try around the house. Recently my PIII 800 actually did go bad, but the fan still works. I thought it was the MB at 1st, but I had another MB to test it out, plus another PII 400 to test the MB I thought went bad.

Perhaps you should look at some other componets to help trouble shoot perhaps other causes. RAM going bad can also cause the video not to come up. Bad video card could be another.

Or even a MB that has gone bad can be a problem.

Not sure what to recommend, except perhaps looking a RAM traces to see if there any burn marks. Or Power Molex burns. (Cords to MB or HD/floppy).

You better get a friends MB or something to test the cpu... even if the fan fails....the cpu will go for a while..(i ran passive for hours...Q-fan does it to me)..and will shut down when it's too hot....

Try to take everything out...just the vid, a stick of ram and cpu(unplug the HDD,cd and pci/e cards)....see if it posts..if it does add parts one at a time....to find whats bad...

Also it does not hurt to reseat the cards,ram and cpu(if u have some thermal compound....if not don't do that....)

Hope this help....

speedo

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Can we go to the bios without a cpu? The BIOS did not show up. THere is nothing on the screen except for the "check you computer " or "no signal", I can't remember.

no you need the cpu....i wish you could without it.... my p5w dh looks so nice....but no cpu yet...:(

i am saying to remove all you can....just leaving the CPU,Vid and a stick of ram....

If you have an old pci video card...try that too....just in case the vid is busted....I think it is too early to get a new cpu.....it may still live.....

speedo

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
We have a GeForce 6600 PCI-X. If we cannot view the bios without the cpu, then I guess our problem is the cpu as I cannot view the bios.

You all have been help ful. Thank you.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
We have a GeForce 6600 PCI-X. If we cannot view the bios without the cpu, then I guess our problem is the cpu as I cannot view the bios.

You all have been help ful. Thank you.

Hope you don't end up buying another CPU without being sure.

Cause, if it isn't your CPU, and you replace it... The same thing is gonna happen.

:?

did you try taking one out? try each stick on it's own to rule out the ram?

To be clear do you mean PCI-E or PCI-X

rev-xeon64mb-tyslotsLG.jpg
pci-x on the bottom pci-e on the top....

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
should be no probs whatsoever.in fact you might have to install sp2 for winxp again,but that should be the extent of it.otherwise no probs.have fun with the 3800+.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2X1GIG DDR400 RAMM IN DC MODE
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.CRT MONITOR

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Can we go to the bios without a cpu? The BIOS did not show up. THere is nothing on the screen except for the "check you computer " or "no signal", I can't remember.

Wait a moment... it just looks like a video card/monitor cable issue, not a fried CPU!