Are there color printers nowadays that only use black when..

The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?
9 answers Last reply
More about color printers nowadays black when

    <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
    > printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
    > color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?

    It may depend on the paper type and print mode selected. For example, most
    recent DeskJet printers will use colored ink to make black on glossy photo
    paper, and some may under black text when printing in "Best" mode on plain
    paper. Most of the recent DeskJet's will operate in "reserve" mode, with only
    the black cartridge installed.

    Most (all?) printers will use some color ink in servicing the unused cartridge
    (black or color) when the others are being used; otherwise the unused cartridge
    waving around would dry out. Generally printers with fixed printheads have
    more servicing overhead.

    Regards,

    <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
    > printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
    > color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?

    Although I am not certain that printing in black uses absolutely no color
    inks, I believe that all of the inkjet printers do cleaning routines that
    draw ink from all the cartridges (and all compartments of multicolored
    cartridges). Thus, it appears that printing routinely with black only
    selected uses considerable amounts of colored ink as well.

    I should add that printers with cyan, magenta, and yellow carts but no black
    cart create black with a mixture of the three colored inks when printing
    colored images that include black areas. I haven't used the Epson stylus
    photo 830 printer, but I read that it is a six color printer and would
    therefore use primarily black ink when printing in "black ink only" mode.
    Still uses all colors in the cleaning cycle as noted by Bob Headrick also.
    "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message

    > <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
    >> printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
    >> color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?
    >
    > Although I am not certain that printing in black uses absolutely no color
    > inks, I believe that all of the inkjet printers do cleaning routines that
    > draw ink from all the cartridges (and all compartments of multicolored
    > cartridges). Thus, it appears that printing routinely with black only
    > selected uses considerable amounts of colored ink as well.

    I went trru this a while back and all epson printers use some color ink to
    keep from drying out they say.
    I think it could be fixed but epson sells ink now, not printers.
    My epson cx6600 will not print a dot in black even though the black cart is
    full and the cyan cart is out.
    It could be programed to do it, but with less ink sales..

    <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
    > printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
    > color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?

    epson 830 is kind of old, the newer printers from epson are using
    indivisual cartridge.

    another way to convert your 830, or 1280 printer to
    indivisual-cartridge printer is to utilize separted cartridge CIS from
    InkRepublic.com

    http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=1280

    like 1280, it has only 2 cartridges (6 colors), but InkRepublic's
    system has 6 cartridges where divides one big color cartridges to 5.
    This makes more sense for B&W people.

    check with their reusability for more information, I believe your 830
    is covered by 1280's system:
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/Compatibility.asp

    SPAMMER

    measekite wrote:

    > SPAMMER
    >
    > microland wrote:
    >
    >> epson 830 is kind of old, the newer printers from epson are using
    >> indivisual cartridge.
    >>
    >> another way to convert your 830, or 1280 printer to
    >> indivisual-cartridge printer is to utilize separted cartridge CIS from
    >> InkRepublic.com
    >>
    >> http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=1280
    >>
    >> like 1280, it has only 2 cartridges (6 colors), but InkRepublic's
    >> system has 6 cartridges where divides one big color cartridges to 5.
    >> This makes more sense for B&W people.
    >>
    >> check with their reusability for more information, I believe your 830
    >> is covered by 1280's system:
    >> http://www.inkrepublic.com/Compatibility.asp

    JACKASS!
    Frank

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    >> SPAMMER
    >>
    >> microland wrote:
    >>
    >>> epson 830 is kind of old, the newer printers from epson are using
    >>> indivisual cartridge.
    >>>
    >>> another way to convert your 830, or 1280 printer to
    >>> indivisual-cartridge printer is to utilize separted cartridge CIS from
    >>> InkRepublic.com
    >>>
    >>> http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=1280
    >>>
    >>> like 1280, it has only 2 cartridges (6 colors), but InkRepublic's
    >>> system has 6 cartridges where divides one big color cartridges to 5.
    >>> This makes more sense for B&W people.
    >>>
    >>> check with their reusability for more information, I believe your 830
    >>> is covered by 1280's system:
    >>> http://www.inkrepublic.com/Compatibility.asp
    >>>

    > JACKASS!
    > Frank

    Yes you are

    You are beginning to sound like a commercial advertiser or agent. I
    hope that is not the case, as Ink Republic has asked me to report anyone
    doing that to them. It makes the members of this list angry and is not
    conducive to good business for Ink Republic.

    Art

    microland wrote:

    > epson 830 is kind of old, the newer printers from epson are using
    > indivisual cartridge.
    >
    > another way to convert your 830, or 1280 printer to
    > indivisual-cartridge printer is to utilize separted cartridge CIS from
    > InkRepublic.com
    >
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=1280
    >
    > like 1280, it has only 2 cartridges (6 colors), but InkRepublic's
    > system has 6 cartridges where divides one big color cartridges to 5.
    > This makes more sense for B&W people.
    >
    > check with their reusability for more information, I believe your 830
    > is covered by 1280's system:
    > http://www.inkrepublic.com/Compatibility.asp

Printers Epson Peripherals