Mulituser accounts-Windows XP

I install new programs in Windows XP in the manager acct. but can't run them
under any other account. How do I make them accessible to all accounts?
3 answers Last reply
More about mulituser accounts windows

    Patty B wrote:
    > I install new programs in Windows XP in the manager acct. but can't
    > run them under any other account. How do I make them accessible to
    > all accounts?

    Patty

    If a software program is compliant with the XP multi-user environment, it
    will give you the option during installation to give access to all users or
    just the user installing the software. If it is not compliant, you have a
    couple of options.

    Log on with the user account that you wish to have access to the program and
    re-install the software to the same location where it was originally
    installed. You may need to temporarily assign Administrator privileges to
    this account and then change back to the original type of account after the
    installation.

    Use the Run As feature in XP. Locate the program you want to start in
    Windows Explorer. Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you right-click
    the program icon, and then click Run as. Click Run the program as the
    following user, and then type the user name and password of the
    administrator account that you want to use.

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Patty B wrote:
    > I install new programs in Windows XP in the manager acct. but can't
    > run them under any other account. How do I make them accessible to
    > all accounts?

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Usually, installing a program enters information into the registry
    specifically for the userid the program is installed with.
    Some programs install for "All Users", but that is decided by the
    developer's installation routine.
    If your program(s) are not of that kind, then it is a bit of a hasstle to
    get them working for a specific user (or users) on that machine.
    As manager, temporarily make the userid a member of the Administrators
    group, logon as that user and install the program again. Install it in the
    same location it already is in so you don't end up with multiple copies of
    the same program.
    This second install will take care of building whatever is necessary for
    that user (registry settings, desktop or start, all programs shortcuts,
    etc.)
    Once installed, log back on as manager and remove the groupmembership for
    that user from the Administrators group so it becomes a 'regular' user again
    (as far as the system privileges are concerned).
    Bit of a pain, but it will do the trick.

    hth

    george

    "Patty B" <Patty B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I install new programs in Windows XP in the manager acct. but can't run
    >them
    > under any other account. How do I make them accessible to all accounts?

Microsoft Windows XP