third-party NTFS permissions software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

We're looking for software that would search through the directory tree and
identify unprotected shares and other folders (let's say where the everyone
group is given access).

Anyone know of any such software? It could be quite useful -- something that
could identify/flag where the 'wrong' permissions are propagating from.

Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

There is a free one from Sysinternals - AccessEnum that can give you a list
of permissions. You could run it and look for the everyone group, etc. Other
considerations may be dumpsec from SomarSoft and showacls from the Resource
Kit. --- Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/accessenum.shtml
http://www.somarsoft.com/

"johndoe" <jdoe@ram.org> wrote in message
> We're looking for software that would search through the directory tree
and
> identify unprotected shares and other folders (let's say where the
everyone
> group is given access).
>
> Anyone know of any such software? It could be quite useful -- something
that
> could identify/flag where the 'wrong' permissions are propagating from.
>
> Thanks in advance.

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:38:23 GMT, "johndoe" <jdoe@ram.org> wrote:

>We're looking for software that would search through the directory tree and
>identify unprotected shares and other folders (let's say where the everyone
>group is given access).
>
>Anyone know of any such software? It could be quite useful -- something that
>could identify/flag where the 'wrong' permissions are propagating from.

"Unprotected shares"? IMO all shares should be "Full control -
Everyone" unless there are REALLY good reasons why not. Use NTFS
permissions to protect and authorise users to files and folders......

If you only have FAT, convert to NTFS. Unless you have really good
reasons why not. NTFS is much more flexible.

There are tools in the Resource kit I believe which allow you check
the NTFS ACLs.....

Cheers,

Cliff

{MVP - Directory Services}

josephfreed76

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I went out on a wild chase to find something that does the same thing. I wanted something with a GUI, reporting, etc., and would show:

- folders with everyone, public, explicit permissions set
- multiple shares/folders at once

I found one that wasn't listed here called Aprigo NINJA (www.aprigo.com). It's not free, but they do have a free trial. It also does scheduled scans and alerts. Again, not free, but looks nice so far.

On another form, one guy suggested:
- XCalcs (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825751/en-us)
- AccessEnum (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897332.aspx)
- ShareEnum (http://sysinternals-shareenum.software.informer.com/1.6/)

I thought I'd post here, since I could only find very outdated information in a bunch of google searches. Looks like very few companies are developing tools focused on share permissions....and even fewer have free tools.