XP boot problem

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I finished building my first case and booted it up. I had the covering off because I had made a mistake earlier with my optical and hard drives. I was installing XP when I made the stupid mistake to try and secure the side panel, which was loosely attatched. My wires were not secure so one dropped and hit the graphics card, there was a pop and it turned off. I was afraid I had just fried the system, but it turned on fine. However, I got an Operating System error message. My O/S was 25% installed when this happened, and I cannot get it to restart the installation process. Any ideas on what I should do?

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
hello.

I haven't reinstalled Windows in a while, but from what I remeber, it goes like this:

- insert Windows install disk in a optical drive (make sure it is set in BIOS that you can boot from CD-ROM)
- after POST, it will say :"Press any key to boot from the CD-ROM". So, press one.
- you will get to Windows set-up. Try reinstalling from there. (or Repair?).
I am sure you can format the partition where you are installing to; or, if you don't like that, you can simply install over the existing Windows folder (it says it will be overwritten).
- installation will start; so go from there, like you're used to.

P.S. I'm glad you din't fry anything with that loose wire.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
My dad mentioned the same thing before we both left off to work. Tonight when I get back I will see if I can set it to boot from the CD in BIOS. If not there is always the shop. Honestly, I am more happy that the computer is running, halfway through the build I swore I would never do this again, but after I got to hear it purr, yeah that's better than smack.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
- insert Windows install disk in a optical drive (make sure it is set in BIOS that you can boot from CD-ROM)
- after POST, it will say :"Press any key to boot from the CD-ROM". So, press one.
- you will get to Windows set-up. Try reinstalling from there. (or Repair?).
I am sure you can format the partition where you are installing to; or, if you don't like that, you can simply install over the existing Windows folder (it says it will be overwritten).
- installation will start; so go from there, like you're used to.

Sounds perfect, like riding a bike eh? :)

I would recommend formatting the partition with the botched install on it and starting over. I wouldnt do anything near your case while its writing this time.