"AMD’s Best Is Still To Come"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
This proves even more that conroe's performance is shrinking fast and K8L isn't out yet. 8)

The bizarre twist is that everyone knew precisely what AMD was doing next in server CPUs. Revision F Opteron, now called next-generation Opteron, has been a known quantity to my readers for a long time. It virtualizes and scales beautifully from entry to enterprise. Next-gen Opteron uses the same RAM as that employed by Core Microarchitecture, but Opteron’s memory controllers are on-chip; Intel’s are external. Intel still uses a front-side bus architecture in which memory, inter-processor and peripheral data compete. Core Microarchitecture now uses two such buses, but broken plus broken does not add up to breakthrough.

...Here’s the truth: The direct performance-per-watt numbers that Intel has published to bolster its claims of lower power usage pit a high-power Revision E Opteron against a low-power Core Microarchitecture Xeon. AMD ships 35 and 55 watt Opteron CPUs and always has. AMD’s PowerNow! run-time power management has been standard in Opteron for a long time; it is not Intel’s invention.

Intel shot its entire wad on Core Microarchitecture. From here, the only place Intel can go is bigger cache, more cores and faster clocks. That sounds like a grand triple play, but it isn’t. Mark my words: Core Microarchitecture will not scale.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/23/35OPcurve_1.html

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Mark my words: Core Microarchitecture will not scale.

:lol: Hes basing this off nothing?

...Here’s the truth: The direct performance-per-watt numbers that Intel has published to bolster its claims of lower power usage pit a high-power Revision E Opteron against a low-power Core Microarchitecture Xeon.

BS. They compared regular xeons vs regular opterons.

AMD ships 35 and 55 watt Opteron CPUs and always has.

Low voltage versions noob.

AMD’s PowerNow! run-time power management has been standard in Opteron for a long time; it is not Intel’s invention.

Intel had speedstep before cool and quiet.

Slinky%20Original%20Metal.jpg

200px-Carlb-sockpuppet-01.jpg

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

Even the blind can see that.
I don't think anything can beat the IMC setup where scaling is concerned & if Intel does not adopt it soon it will be to their demse in the 4+ & up server arena.
Intel is so damn stubborn/stupid it's not funny,, but like DELL if they dont get their act together AMD will continue to cruise & then "bulldozer" their A$$.

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
This proves even more that conroe's performance is shrinking fast and K8L isn't out yet. 8)

The bizarre twist is that everyone knew precisely what AMD was doing next in server CPUs. Revision F Opteron, now called next-generation Opteron, has been a known quantity to my readers for a long time. It virtualizes and scales beautifully from entry to enterprise. Next-gen Opteron uses the same RAM as that employed by Core Microarchitecture, but Opteron’s memory controllers are on-chip; Intel’s are external. Intel still uses a front-side bus architecture in which memory, inter-processor and peripheral data compete. Core Microarchitecture now uses two such buses, but broken plus broken does not add up to breakthrough.

...Here’s the truth: The direct performance-per-watt numbers that Intel has published to bolster its claims of lower power usage pit a high-power Revision E Opteron against a low-power Core Microarchitecture Xeon. AMD ships 35 and 55 watt Opteron CPUs and always has. AMD’s PowerNow! run-time power management has been standard in Opteron for a long time; it is not Intel’s invention.

Intel shot its entire wad on Core Microarchitecture. From here, the only place Intel can go is bigger cache, more cores and faster clocks. That sounds like a grand triple play, but it isn’t. Mark my words: Core Microarchitecture will not scale.

ahh so this is the famous 9inch AMD fanboy... i was starting to think he was a myth! but look, he's real.. and beleives the stuff he says! WOW!

*snacks on popcorn and watches*

I would have to say that technically the title is correct.

Amd's best is still to come (without all of the caps)

As with any advancing field the next gen should always be better than current gen (except the Nvidia FX series perhaps) so yes they will make better chips than they are now, the question is when, and how much better?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

:lol: Hes basing this off nothing?

...Here’s the truth: The direct performance-per-watt numbers that Intel has published to bolster its claims of lower power usage pit a high-power Revision E Opteron against a low-power Core Microarchitecture Xeon.

BS. They compared regular xeons vs regular opterons.

AMD ships 35 and 55 watt Opteron CPUs and always has.

Low voltage versions noob.

AMD’s PowerNow! run-time power management has been standard in Opteron for a long time; it is not Intel’s invention.

Intel had speedstep before cool and quiet.

Slinky%20Original%20Metal.jpg

200px-Carlb-sockpuppet-01.jpg

One word.....Owned!

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

Fail

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
He's basing this off nothing?
Is there ever anything new from 9nm? :roll:

Nope there never is. Just the same old mind numbing fanboyism we are subject to with every new thread he and other fanboys like him create. His are just more mind numbing lately than many of the others I have seen lately.

The reason they are more mind numbing is that nothing good has come out of AMD since the Conroe benchmarks first started appearing!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

What a rube. "The nuclear weapon is not effective because it cannot be scaled!" Who cares, its already blasted AM2.

CLUE: Core 2 doesnt need to be impoved. It overclocks over 3mhz on air, over 5 on water. Show me an AM2 that competes. You cant. I doesnt exist.

9 inch, stop embarrasing AMD. They are a fine company. You are not helping them improve their reputation by posting blind tripe by other rabid fanboys. You are only tarnishing their reputation.