XP Auto-hibernates on start-up

Bear with me. I am Windows illiterate. I have a VAIO laptop with Windows XP
installed, have been running it fairly successfully until today. About
mid-day, laptop turned itself off (after period of nonuse). When I went to
restart, it acted as though it were going to start up normally, got to the
log in and then immediately went in to hibernation and shutdown.

No new programs, no internet surfing. What do I need to do? Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about auto hibernates start

    Hi!

    There could be a program running in the background of windows that may be
    interfering with the functionality of your suspend mode. What I would like
    you to do is disable some of these program using a utility called MSconfig. I
    will list the steps on how to run this utility below.

    1. Click on start
    2. Click on run
    3. Type in 'MSconfig'
    4. On the new window that opens click on the tab labeled 'Startup'
    5. Now you should be able to see a list of program with checkmark boxes
    beside them. At the bottom of the window you should be able to see a disable
    all button. Click on this button.
    6. Click on apply then close. Once you have reset the system, it will ask
    you to reset one more time.
    After you have gone back into windows after restarting twice try going back
    into suspend mode.

    It might be your Anti-Virus or any prgoram which monitor your System Activity.

    "Winillit" wrote:

    > Bear with me. I am Windows illiterate. I have a VAIO laptop with Windows XP
    > installed, have been running it fairly successfully until today. About
    > mid-day, laptop turned itself off (after period of nonuse). When I went to
    > restart, it acted as though it were going to start up normally, got to the
    > log in and then immediately went in to hibernation and shutdown.
    >
    > No new programs, no internet surfing. What do I need to do? Thanks.

Laptops Windows XP