Sign in with
Your question

Cant OC past 2.2 with 3800 AM2

Last response: in Overclocking
August 24, 2006 8:44:27 AM

OK I have a question..I recently built a new comp and have been trying to get the most out of it..my setup is a X2 3800 AM2 with the M2N-E MOB..One gig of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 cas 4 mem..Antec smartpower 500w PSU..Samsung 300 gig sata2 HD..Now here is the problem..I cant seem to get this comp past 2.2.. if I try it wont boot into windows and just restart..So what should i do with this setup?Any ideas as to what kind of clock speeds i can reach with a max 1.95v for mem?the cpu goes all the way to 1.56 or so...thanks for your help.

More about : past 3800 am2

August 24, 2006 9:31:31 AM

I can't really think of anything. The 3 things i can think of are that your case is really hot, you got a duff CPU or your motherboard is just not designed for overclocking.
August 24, 2006 4:44:42 PM

CPU idles at 40c the MOB at 36c...so its not to hot..The MOB is suppose to be a good Ocer so i dunno..Im going to RMA the MOB and get a epox or dfi
Related resources
August 24, 2006 10:19:03 PM

Quote:
CPU idles at 40c the MOB at 36c...so its not to hot..The MOB is suppose to be a good Ocer so i dunno..Im going to RMA the MOB and get a epox or dfi

DFI are great overclockers, you should be fine witth that. I have never had any experience with an epox though.
August 25, 2006 4:27:12 PM

Yeah your post was not helpful at all, people dont post on these forums to get flamed, they are looking for advice. Honestly hes making a good decision, if he wants to overclock he needs a more overclocker friendly board. I have an AM2 3800X2 overclocked to 2.2 on the stock heatsink and fan. He is definatly not hitting the cap of his overclocking ability with that cpu, unless he just got a bad apple out of the bunch. When my Zalman fan gets here in the next 2 days im going to take my 3800 to 2.4 ghz. Thats what these forums are all about, taking your computer to the limits and getting the best performance out of it, and as forum posters we should be giving the best advice we can to help the guy out.
August 25, 2006 6:49:16 PM

Hey mrebytch "READ HERE"

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=M...

This is why I RMAed it..plus asus is no help..All people that have this mob have the same problems crappy bios no sound it wont boot no support same email replys to all that need help from asus! would you keep a mob that does that?I didnt think so!!! oh buy the way i did use the recomended memory and such so dont try it partner..The only asus mob i would buy would be the m2n32 sli delux..Hey thanks Brock for the back up..This Bytch is insulting alot of people that are using the x2 3800... Most get speeds up 2.8 with no problems with differant MOBs..
August 25, 2006 7:01:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah your post was not helpful at all, people dont post on these forums to get flamed, they are looking for advice. Honestly hes making a good decision, if he wants to overclock he needs a more overclocker friendly board. I have an AM2 3800X2 overclocked to 2.2 on the stock heatsink and fan. He is definatly not hitting the cap of his overclocking ability with that cpu, unless he just got a bad apple out of the bunch. When my Zalman fan gets here in the next 2 days im going to take my 3800 to 2.4 ghz. Thats what these forums are all about, taking your computer to the limits and getting the best performance out of it, and as forum posters we should be giving the best advice we can to help the guy out.

Until he checks his HTT and Memory speeds he does not need to RMA that board. I just dont think he realizes that those can be limiting factors in your overclock.

You should always lower your ram and HTT settings when finding max OC on cpu to eliminate those factors holding you back!I have already done that..I even put HTT. 1x mem to 533 and adjusted the vdimm and vcore..It just wont work dunno if its the CPU or what but i know one thing..this mob doesnt support OCing very well since the bios has very little mem adjustment..cant do much with max 1.95v for dimm..
August 25, 2006 7:12:06 PM

WHat MOB are you using for the X2?Is it AM2?Im looking for a good MOB and i was recomended the Epox 570 sli..
August 25, 2006 7:13:06 PM

dont know if this is going to hepl matters but ive heard that the 570 chipset is no where near as good as the 590 chips. that could be why ur hitting a low max FSB.

try lowing ur multiplyer all the way and then raising the FSB as high as u can. finds out the limits of the board and not the CPU.
August 25, 2006 7:15:45 PM

the board doest like anything over 220..
August 25, 2006 8:37:07 PM

WHat motherboard are you using with your new x2?
August 25, 2006 9:39:48 PM

First of all you cant put Jet fuel into a Car it would melt the engine lol..Also it wouldnt make that car go faster just run hotter for about 3 mins and blow up..DO you know how stupid that sounded to an AutoTech..Dont talk cars if you dont know what your saying..I dont know why people like you post because all you do is cause trouble that isnt needed...By the way did you read the link i posted?Did you actually read post at Asustek?I didnt RMA the MOB just because it doesnt OC well there are more problems than that...Also why do companies make OCing board s for???Hmmm mabe because people OC CPUs!Thats why people Bought AMD in the First plac
August 25, 2006 9:43:00 PM

Quote:
Your going to RMA your mobo because you cant get your cpu to run faster?? lol. Thats why places like newegg keep raising their prices cause of people like yourself.
It doesnt matter what board you get, you'll likely never get it stable at 2.4.
Be happy with what you paid for. If you wanted a faster cpu, you should have bought a faster cpu.

How bout posting something helpful that might help him OC higher instead of being the bitch that applies to your user name :roll:

You probably dont have a clue either.

well this is one time rare that it may be that i have to agree 100% with mrsbythch and as far as being helpful why would people want to help someone like that for?
August 25, 2006 9:54:00 PM

OK I would like to apologize if i have offended anyone..These post are getting out of hand..

I would also like to thank those for defending me and being helpful..Im not here to argue..Im heare to learn and make friends not enemies...
August 25, 2006 10:40:44 PM

Hi, DET.

I find that people trying to tell him "you should've gotten a faster processor" is total BS. Of course all processors do not OC the same, but this particular chip is known to get very high speeds and it is odd why he is getting such a low OC. He wants help to get higher, not someone telling him to return it. Jeez. Now that that is out of the way:

Have you updated the BIOS? I hear that doing that can cure some problems...

Your temperature is rather high for idle. 40C? That is a load temp for some people on air. What cooler? I'd reseat the CPU w/cooler. Make sure to get the thermal paste nice and thin.

The DFI Infinity AM2 board hits 400+HTT if you have already RMA'ed the board. Proven chipset, amazing manufacturer, and some of the best support of mobos.

Good luck!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. No need to apologize. THEY should be apologizing, not you, mate.
August 26, 2006 12:21:43 AM

Well i already RMAed the MOB so im going to be looking for a good overclocker this time..SO 40c is hot?Maybe because i was using the stock fan and Heatsink..Since we are that topic i need to to this right this next time..SO lets see the that DFI MOB is good?SHould i get the arctic silver?WHen i put the heat sink on does it need to be perfectly centered?I really need some help picking out a MOB since I am a noob..Only a week into comps so..plus i have little funds left and i want the best gamming rig for the money..I noticed the DFI is only nforce 4..would it make a differance if i get a 590 series instead?I cant really spend too much..I was told to get the Epox 570 sli and that it was a great MOB but somone also said dont get so im going crazy with all this get dont get stuff..
August 26, 2006 12:39:54 AM

You just rolled snake-eyes on the OC crapshoot. My Opty 170 won't OC for crap either. It's not my board or my ram. Not all cpus overclock well.
Them's the breaks.
Sorry.
August 26, 2006 12:44:01 AM

All right.

The DFI INFINITY NF ULTRAII-M2 is an excellent overclocker. If you get this board, it won't be the motherboard that is holding you back with overclocking. Make sure you check out this thread: DFI Street Thread. 40C is rather hot for idle, as mentioned. With stock cooling, which is GREAT, you should be getting mid to high 20s for idle, 40ish for load, 50ish for an OC'ed load. Arctic Silver helps, but Zalman paste is better. Not perfectly centered, but as close as you can get without popping out a ruler.

Yeah, the DFI mobo is nForce 4, but it is a proven chipset and is guranteed to OC great. I haven't heard much about the OCing of other chips...

Check out these charts:

nForce 5 versus nForce 4 is pretty much only going to get you a few new features, some more SATA ports, and one less IDE port. Your call. It may not seem this way, but I'm not biased toward either chipset. Both are good, just saying that the DFI is a great OCer.

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 12:58:46 AM

Wow thanks alot..the best part is its really cheap too...maybe i will pick this up.. the only reason i asked that is because i want the best performance from a motherboard as possable...As for my temps they were pretty bad then huh?Is it because i used the paste that was on the heat sink?ALso should i buy a chipset cooler if i go with this MOB?
August 26, 2006 1:32:51 AM

Ok i think im going to buy the MOB right now..I have just one question before i buy it..I have the Corsair DDR2 800 cas4 mem..will this be a problem or should i be good to go?
August 26, 2006 2:07:56 AM

That should work great. Looking at the parts, everything should work!

Now, are you sure about this? I don't want you to rush into this quickly and get buyers remorse or anything. DFI is releasing nForce 500 chipsets within weeks, their 590 SLi board has debut, the lower end models shouldn't be far behind. DFI is a great brand for overclocking.

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 2:16:21 AM

Well I know i want dfi because i have heard so many good thing about them and how they OC well so..As for buying the MOB should i wait?WHat chipset would you recomend?SHould i wait for the 500 series?

Hey does any body have any info on these steppings?

LDB4F 0622WPAW... this is on my CPU
August 26, 2006 4:31:50 AM

Do you know when the 570sli MOB is suppose to come out?
August 26, 2006 1:07:24 PM

Now that is the bad part. Nobody really knows. Since the highest board has already been released, the others should follow within a week or two, three tops. DFI wouldn't release just the high board and wait a month for the middle-end. Their high-end board kicks some fricking a$$, I can't wait for the 570U/SLi versions!

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 6:01:19 PM

Ya thats 590sli is awsome...I wish i could afford that MOB..man i dont want to buy the infinity if a new lanparty 570 sli is going to come out in a week or two...But then i dont want to wait for a long time either..
August 26, 2006 6:03:19 PM

Exactly. I mean, you already have all the parts ready and there a few good mobos out already. But even better ones are coming in one or two weeks. Life isn't fair!

Tuff call..I don't know what I would do in that position. I might wait, but it must be tantalizing just looking at all those parts, just waiting...

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 6:39:42 PM

It is lol..They are saying come on..Just get the DFI infinity..you know you cant wait for the new 570 SLIs..Its diving crazy..I know i will be happy with the infinity but i know i will regret it if the board comes out a couple days later..SO im trying to find out the relese date and price..do you think it will be in the 130 range?
August 26, 2006 6:45:53 PM

lol...

Well, that is the thing. It might be two weeks or two days....I checked DFI Street and they have no idea...Pricing should be in that range. The 570 Ultra for sure, possibly the 570 SLi. DFIs nForce4 non-SLi boards could be easily modded to SLi, maybe it will be the same with these.

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 7:05:16 PM

So nforce 4 isnt differant than the 5 series chipset in performance?
August 26, 2006 7:05:48 PM

What to do:/..Well let see im not going to run SLI since i only can affored my x1800xt and i only have one HD and one DVD/RW..Im limited to 2.8 gh with my cpu so i wondering if it is worth the wait..
August 26, 2006 8:25:07 PM

Performance-wise, they may be slightly faster, I don't have any direct apples-to-apples compairison, but the difference, if any, would be small, i.e. <7%.

They only appear faster because they are using newer and faster hardware on the motherboard. Chipset upgrades almost always just mean more features, like 6 USB ports over 4 or GBe LAN over 10/100. A few software things such as LinkBoost are present, but they aren't huge. They can hardly be called icing on the cake. More features is it.

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 8:40:19 PM

I...... couldnt do it..I... couldnt wait..I...I..I just Bought the DFI infinity lol..Anyways i know the chip set runs hot so i wanted to know if these chipset coolers are any good and what would you get?

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/rt-ucl-l4u1.html

or this 0ne

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/ec-vc-rd.html

and

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/hr-05.html

or this

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/cl-c0034.html

and finally this

http://svcompucycle.stores.yahoo.net/vc-re.html
August 26, 2006 9:15:20 PM

It is fine and now you have an entire forum of DFI users to help you with any problems you have. (Don't take that the wrong way. I'm still going to help you, just saying if we guys at TG can't do it, DFI has some real gurus.)

Well, the second and the last ones you mentioned are actually GPU chipset coolers. Otherwise, they rest all look good to me. That Cooler-Master looks great, but I don't have any performance benches on it. The Vantec Iceberg is good.

I know for a fact, though, that the Thermalright HR-05 cooler fits and works great. I'm slightly short on time...Look through this thread for some chipset cooler recommendations:

DFI Infinity Ultra II-M2 Discussion Thread

I give my nod to the Thermalright, but Google Reviews for each of the coolers. You could also post in the above-mentioned thread, if needed.

~Ibrahim~
August 26, 2006 11:01:06 PM

OK i just bought the Evercool VC-RE along with some Zalman ZM-STG1 Super
Thermal Greas for the cpu..I think the Evercool should be good for now right?..
August 27, 2006 5:56:36 AM

as someone how has a 3800 X2 albeit a 939socket, i have had two overclocks on it, on the DFI board i previously had i was able to push it to 2.5ghz for about 10mins then it crapped so i backed down to 2.4ghz and it ran rock solid. Well i was running an X700 from abit and well the card shorted out and friend the PCI-e lane to where it won't reconize vid cards. Fortunately i had a back up board in the form of a BFG board which is also a Chaintech VNF series, which board is rock solid from the get go, but i am not able to OC beyond 2.1ghz on this board. So in my experience yes this 3800 can push beyond 2.4ghz, and yes it might be the mobo.

For the record, i am using a stock heatsink on all my OCs
August 27, 2006 9:34:14 PM

Excellent! They both are good choices and I know many DFI users have had great success with the Evercool and that Zalman paste is hands-down amazing.

@wusy

I'm not a person who would actually need SLi, but the mod seems kind of fun.

Oh really? So it has been changed some from the previous boards? Hopefully, it'll be just as easy.

I actually saw some boards where nVidia or the maker actually put some stuff on the chipset to stop someone from modding it, glad they didn't this time.

Can't wait for those boards!

@crazypyro

I was browsing some forums about the M2N-E and have found out that is certainly does not share the OC skills of its brother, the M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Rather crappy OC's, actually.

2.4Ghz on stock is not bad at all, good job!

~Ibrahim~
August 28, 2006 5:53:12 AM

Hey guys i wanted to ask another question..Can or should I apply Zalman paste to the chipset or do i just leave that with no paste?
August 28, 2006 6:26:39 PM

OK so Zalman paste is a no for chipsets?WHat shloud i use to clean off the old paste..can i just wipe it away and apply the new paste?
August 29, 2006 8:44:09 PM

Proven: M2N-E sucks at life...Just give up now, ASUS, just give up.

Yup, it was that ugly board. They had hardly more luck than you did.

That particular Zalman paste is to be applied to both the CPU and heatsink.

The paste should be fine a chipset.

Use alcohol (Concentration at least 60%) and some Q-Tips. It'll knock that old paste off in seconds. Works great.

~Ibrahim~
August 30, 2006 12:03:09 AM

DETPower said:
Quote:
OK I have a question..I recently built a new comp and have been trying to get the most out of it..my setup is a X2 3800 AM2 with the M2N-E MOB..One gig of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 cas 4 mem..Antec smartpower 500w PSU..Samsung 300 gig sata2 HD..Now here is the problem..I cant seem to get this comp past 2.2.. if I try it wont boot into windows and just restart..So what should i do with this setup?Any ideas as to what kind of clock speeds i can reach with a max 1.95v for mem?the cpu goes all the way to 1.56 or so...thanks for your help.

I have the same CPU and was able to hit 2500Mhz easily stable. I was able to clock the same Corsair to 1000Mhz stable @ 2.3V. Trust me the max is more than 1.95V. It says on the package I believe 2.1V. I've read in other OC forums that it will take 2.4V no problem. But beware! It show up in all monitoring programs at a high of 1.9-1.95V. I believe this is a BIOS issue. I have the M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Your power supply might be an issue too. Check and make sure your not getting any voltage dips when OCing. Might be a possability. But it sounds like your Dimms aren't getting enough volts. Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Good luck.
August 30, 2006 12:24:27 AM

Quote:
I have the M2N32-SLI Deluxe.

Big difference is the chip. You've got the 590SLi which is a pretty good OCer, unlike its 570 brothers. I blame ASUS, personally. They should've developed the mainstream motherboards a bit more, but this fault has plagued many AM2 motherboards. But 220Mhz is embarassing.

~Ibrahim~
August 30, 2006 12:31:40 AM

I thought the only limitations on the 570's was being able to not to read EPP. I've read about people hitting 2600 on these boards. Have to check again, but I thought they ran 800Mhz memory. Maybe they had a limit of 667Mhz read on the Dimms. Either way you're right, it should do way better than a 200Mhz OC. That's a total bummer.
August 30, 2006 2:09:28 AM

Man that chipset fan was hard to pull off..the paste was like gum...anyways it should be good.. im just waiting on the Zalman paste and the evercool fan..I must say this MOB looks promising..I wish i would have bought it the first time around..
August 31, 2006 12:16:47 AM

Well, the 570s can't do Linkboost, no EPP RAM, only x8 SLi.

This crappy OC'ing, IMHO, is put fault towards the mobo makers. Those 590 SLi Chipsets should be screaming, 350+ HTT. It is THE chipset for AMD. It is a great OCer to begin with! But the mobo manufactuers just seemed to throw them on a motherboard, add this and that, and BAM. DFI is taking their time and I can gurantee at least 300+ out of the top motherboard. I expect higher numbers, but I can only 100% gurantee 300HTT. The 570 Series should be getting at least 260+. 550 possibly 250+. Round-about numers, btw.

nVidia chipsets are great OCers. Just look at the DFI board. It is a proven platform and that biyatch hit 400HTT+, a feat that has long been held in the hands of the Intel crowd. DFI FTW!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. And yes, I do recognize that I've become a bit of a DFI fanboy after reading around DFI Street. (But who wouldn't? :D )
August 31, 2006 9:05:57 AM

I have a socket AM2 3000+ and an Asus M2N32-SLI MB + 1GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM

I have been able to get 273 FSB with all settings in the bios at default (5x HTT etc)
Currently the CPU is stable at 273x9
However 275 FSB is no boot
I've tried lowering the RAM to 400, HTT (all of them) to 3x, and even lowering the multiplier - no luck
Is there something I'm missing?
Others have gotten 350+ FSB from this board
Do I need to raise the CPU voltage/chipset voltage etc?
August 31, 2006 10:41:01 PM

This sucks..I have had everything but my paste and evercool vc-re for a week now..Man SVC is slow..has anybody had problems with svc?im about to buy from somone els and sell this order from svc or somthing..
August 31, 2006 11:49:30 PM

Quote:
I have a socket AM2 3000+ and an Asus M2N32-SLI MB + 1GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM

I have been able to get 273 FSB with all settings in the bios at default (5x HTT etc)
Currently the CPU is stable at 273x9
However 275 FSB is no boot
I've tried lowering the RAM to 400, HTT (all of them) to 3x, and even lowering the multiplier - no luck
Is there something I'm missing?
Others have gotten 350+ FSB from this board
Do I need to raise the CPU voltage/chipset voltage etc?

Definitley lower the HTT multiplyer! Try to keep the HTT speed at around 1000. Bump the chipset voltage up one notch and raise your Vcore up to 1.44-1.49V. But watch the Temperature. Also make sure you have the PCI bus locked. The memory might be holding you back. Would have been better to go with PC6400. Maybe lower the memory divider. Bump up the Vdimm a bit. Try not to go over 2.4V for sure. This should help.
September 1, 2006 11:46:16 PM

He has tried lowering the HTT to 3x, which is certainly within the 1000Mhz spec...

But yeah, try upping a few voltages... What cooling are you using?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Sorry about the slow shipping, I know how it feels. :( 
September 2, 2006 2:44:43 AM

Quote:
Well, the 570s can't do Linkboost, no EPP RAM, only x8 SLi.

This crappy OC'ing, IMHO, is put fault towards the mobo makers. Those 590 SLi Chipsets should be screaming, 350+ HTT. It is THE chipset for AMD. It is a great OCer to begin with! But the mobo manufactuers just seemed to throw them on a motherboard, add this and that, and BAM. DFI is taking their time and I can gurantee at least 300+ out of the top motherboard. I expect higher numbers, but I can only 100% gurantee 300HTT. The 570 Series should be getting at least 260+. 550 possibly 250+. Round-about numers, btw.

nVidia chipsets are great OCers. Just look at the DFI board. It is a proven platform and that biyatch hit 400HTT+, a feat that has long been held in the hands of the Intel crowd. DFI FTW!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. And yes, I do recognize that I've become a bit of a DFI fanboy after reading around DFI Street. (But who wouldn't? :D )

Ya. I really wanted that new DFI board. Wished I would have waited. But I had no idea when they would put out a board with the 590 chipset. Oh well. I am quite happy with my Asus. Turned out to be a pretty good overclocker. Got me up to 2700Mhz On my 3800 X2. HopefullyI can squeeze a little more out of it!
!