IP address assignment with "SNAP" ?

I have a embedded ethernet device that powers up with no IP address. It
can then somehow be assigned a IP address by another host on the network
with a user selected IP address through a application program. When I
look at the exchange that occurs between the app and device using
tcpdump I can see mention of "vlan" and 801.2Q in the frames. I have
also read that it is using "SNAP" to do this. Is there a known standard
way to assign a static IP address that uses these type of techniques?
Searching the internet I have not found any documentation on how SNAP or
vlan applies to this.

Tks,
-gene
--
Lit up like Levy's
1 answer Last reply

    geneSmith wrote:
    > I have a embedded ethernet device that powers up with no IP address. It
    > can then somehow be assigned a IP address by another host on the network
    > with a user selected IP address through a application program. When I
    > look at the exchange that occurs between the app and device using
    > tcpdump I can see mention of "vlan" and 801.2Q in the frames. I have
    > also read that it is using "SNAP" to do this. Is there a known standard
    > way to assign a static IP address that uses these type of techniques?
    > Searching the internet I have not found any documentation on how SNAP or
    > vlan applies to this.
    >
    > Tks,
    > -gene

    Ethernet SNAP is a frame type. Most devices use the ethernet II frame
    type. In order to assign your device an IP address (from DHCP or BOOTP
    or the like) you will need to have the server assigning the address user
    ethernet SNAP frames. Not many servers support that nowadays.

    Alos if the device is using tagged vlans (it must be if you see "vlan"
    mentioned in the frame) it needs to be plugged into a switch that
    supports vlans, with the port set to accept tagged frames of the VLAN ID
    the device is sending out.

IP Address Ethernet Card Devices Networking