Cannot delete directory

I have two garbage directories that were f=created by
some unknown source. One of the directories has no name
and show just a folder icon in Windows explorer. The
other directory is called temp and was created as a sub-
directory within another valid directory. This temp
directory has four more sub-directories within it, all
with garbage names. Our backup software rejects these
files but shows the names. Here is a sample of some of
the file names:
\ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ .
6795309 .lpt2 2.94 \. 26146904 .lpt3 3.1

\ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ . 6795309 .
2.47 \. 26146904 .aux 3.48
;[[Scan By Somebody i don't wan

\ E 88585 \ . 5534984 .lpt1 2.46 \ .
6795309 .lpt3 3
. %d .lpt1 3.22
When I try to delete these directories, I get the
following message:
Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
disk.
Can someone please tell me how I can get rid of these
directories? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about cannot delete directory

    Hi, Glenn.

    Have you tried the old faithful:

    Open a "DOS" window and navigate to the parent of the bad folder. Type dir
    /x to see the SFN (Short File Name - also known as the 8.3 filename) in a
    column before the LFN. Then type rd <SFN> /s to remove the bad folder in
    its entirety, including all subdirectories and files.

    If that doesn't work, post back with just what you did and what results you
    saw.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have two garbage directories that were f=created by
    > some unknown source. One of the directories has no name
    > and show just a folder icon in Windows explorer. The
    > other directory is called temp and was created as a sub-
    > directory within another valid directory. This temp
    > directory has four more sub-directories within it, all
    > with garbage names. Our backup software rejects these
    > files but shows the names. Here is a sample of some of
    > the file names:
    > \ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ .
    > 6795309 .lpt2 2.94 \. 26146904 .lpt3 3.1
    >
    > \ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ . 6795309 .
    > 2.47 \. 26146904 .aux 3.48
    > ;[[Scan By Somebody i don't wan
    >
    > \ E 88585 \ . 5534984 .lpt1 2.46 \ .
    > 6795309 .lpt3 3
    > . %d .lpt1 3.22
    > When I try to delete these directories, I get the
    > following message:
    > Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
    > disk.
    > Can someone please tell me how I can get rid of these
    > directories? Thanks.

    Hi RC,
    When I use the /X parameter on a DIR command it shows the
    directory name as 0200~1 but if I try to CD to that
    directory I get a message "Access is denied". When I try
    to delete the directory with the RD /S command the
    message is "The directory is not empty" and it won't
    delete. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Glenn

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Glenn.

    RD /s is not supposed to care if the directory is empty or not. :>( It
    should ask, "Are you sure" and, when you answer yes, just wipe out the whole
    tree from that directory name on down.

    Can you move everything EXCEPT that subdirectory 0200~1 out of the parent
    directory into a temporary directory? Then rd /s the parent. Finally,
    rename the temporary directory to the name of the now-removed parent.

    Depending on what tools you have available, you might want to try harder to
    get the true 8.3 filenames. For example, you could make sure your "DOS"
    window is a "normal" (not full-screen) window. Then Mark the name of the
    directory and Copy it into Notepad or some other text editor so that you can
    take a closer look for hidden characters in the name. Your first post
    seemed to indicate that filenames have leading spaces, although that was
    very hard to tell with the poor formatting of that message. Do you REALLY
    have a filename of " E 88585 ", including those leading, embedded and
    trailing spaces? What does dir /s show as the SFN for this particular
    filename? Does "0200~1" have a leading or trailing space? How about that
    no-name directory you mentioned? It HAS to have a name, and the name HAS to
    be a valid 8.3 filename - even if it has somehow been hidden from normal
    view.

    Could you try the dir /x again. This time, use dir /x > dirfile.txt. This
    should pipe the output of the dir command to a file. Then look at that
    dirfile.txt with Notepad or WordPad or some other editor. Copy a few
    representative lines (be sure they include some SFNs) into your next post so
    that we can see just what the output looks like.

    A favorite prank to play on your buddies back in MS-DOS days was to use a
    non-printing character in the filename. These characters might look like a
    space onscreen, and were virtually undetectable unless your buddy knew to
    look for them.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > Hi RC,
    > When I use the /X parameter on a DIR command it shows the
    > directory name as 0200~1 but if I try to CD to that
    > directory I get a message "Access is denied". When I try
    > to delete the directory with the RD /S command the
    > message is "The directory is not empty" and it won't
    > delete. Any other suggestions?
    > Thanks,
    > Glenn

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi RC,
    Unfortunately, these directories are on our main file
    server and they are sub-directories in a shared directory
    that all of our users have mappped. I would have to come
    in on a weekend, when no-one is on the network, to try
    moving and renaming directories (I could do that this
    weekend). These directories/files really do have embedded
    spaces in the names. I can't drill down into the
    directories in Explorer and I am not able to CD to them
    in a command window. Our backup software lists the file
    names and that's the only way I am able to see them. The
    following list is the result of a dir /x command:
    20/03/2004 06:44p <DIR> 0200~1

    15/03/2004 09:23a <DIR> E88585~1
    E 88585
    19/03/2004 05:40p <DIR> I4035~1
    I 4035
    19/03/2004 05:29p <DIR> COM1__~1
    com 1 ;;;;;;;;;
    15/03/2004 02:27p <DIR> TA1135~1
    ta11355 ;;; .
    15/03/2004 03:07p <DIR> TA1212~1
    ta12129 ;;; .

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi, Glenn.

    With that information, somebody here should be able to figure out how to
    help. But it won't be me, I'm afraid, because I know NOTHING of servers.
    :>( Terms like Share and Map leave me in the dark. My "mantra" is: I'm
    just one guy with one computer and one POTS phone line - and no Net but the
    Internet.

    Good luck - and let us know how you finally solve the problem. Somebody
    else can probably benefit from what you've learned. In a newsgroup, we all
    learn from each other. ;<)

    RC
    --

    > Hi RC,
    > Unfortunately, these directories are on our main file
    > server and they are sub-directories in a shared directory
    > that all of our users have mappped. I would have to come
    > in on a weekend, when no-one is on the network, to try
    > moving and renaming directories (I could do that this
    > weekend). These directories/files really do have embedded
    > spaces in the names. I can't drill down into the
    > directories in Explorer and I am not able to CD to them
    > in a command window. Our backup software lists the file
    > names and that's the only way I am able to see them. The
    > following list is the result of a dir /x command:
    > 20/03/2004 06:44p <DIR> 0200~1
    >
    > 15/03/2004 09:23a <DIR> E88585~1
    > E 88585
    > 19/03/2004 05:40p <DIR> I4035~1
    > I 4035
    > 19/03/2004 05:29p <DIR> COM1__~1
    > com 1 ;;;;;;;;;
    > 15/03/2004 02:27p <DIR> TA1135~1
    > ta11355 ;;; .
    > 15/03/2004 03:07p <DIR> TA1212~1
    > ta12129 ;;; .

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Guys

    I have just posted a similar problem in trying to delete a
    directory of web-downloaded .jpeg files. Everything you
    have tried is the same as me!! Please let me know if you
    find a solution.

    Thanks

    Dave

    6795309 .

    >> or
    these

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Have you tried using a path in \\.\<driveLetter>:\ format For example, if
    your path:
    "\ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ . 6795309 .lpt2 2.94 \.
    26146904 .lpt3 3.1"
    was on c:, you could use :
    \\.\c:\ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ . 6795309 .lpt2 2.94 \.
    26146904 .lpt3 3.1

    Removing files with reserved names:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q120/7/16.ASP
    --
    Drew Cooper [MSFT]

    "Dave" <Dave_77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    >
    > I have just posted a similar problem in trying to delete a
    > directory of web-downloaded .jpeg files. Everything you
    > have tried is the same as me!! Please let me know if you
    > find a solution.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Dave

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Drew. Thanks for the response.
    I tried deleting the directory using your suggested
    method, which was also in the knowledge base article you
    referenced. Unfortunately, this didn't work either. When
    I tried to delete the directory using this method I still
    got a message complaining that the directory is not
    empty. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks, Glenn

    6795309 .lpt2 2.94 \.
    >26146904 .lpt3 3.1"
    >was on c:, you could use :
    > \\.\c:\ I 4035 \ . 5534984 .con 1.9 \ .
    6795309 .lpt2 2.94 \.
    >26146904 .lpt3 3.1
    >
    >Removing files with reserved names:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q120/7/1
    6.ASP
    >--
    >Drew Cooper [MSFT]
    confers no rights.

    >"Dave" <Dave_77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys
    >>
    >> I have just posted a similar problem in trying to
    delete a
    >> directory of web-downloaded .jpeg files. Everything you
    >> have tried is the same as me!! Please let me know if
    you
    >> find a solution.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Dave