Continuous Short Beeps on Boot, doesn't into OS

Maan

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hello,

My computer just died on me recently. It was working fine, but now, when I boot it up, the POST phase goes through fine (I get the beep), and then it starts beeping endlessly. It still lists all devices, as usual. Once it gets to the point of getting into the OS, it first checks the CD, finds nothing there, and then the screen goes completely blank, and the beeping stops. I can't figure out what's happening.

I've already tried swapping the ram, but it doesn't change anything. It still gets detected fine. The puzzling thing is that the POST is working just fine...

Anybody seen something similar? Thanks,

Maan

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
What motherbaord are you using? shadowspank gave a good pdf covering codes. It could be the RAM slot on the MB and not the actual RAM module. Try running MemTest and see what happens. I'm not sure what errors it would create if its the slot.

Maan

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Hello,

Here's the system info:

Gigabyte GE-8IE533 Motherboard (rev 2)
Pentium 4 2.66 GHz Processor
NVidia Ti 4200 Graphics card
2x Corsair 512MB RAM (266)

I've tried swapping out the RAM, cleaning all the dust, disconnecting all hard drives and optical drives, and removing all the cards (including the graphics card). Even though it complains about the missing card, the beeping still occurs. It's continuous. And it never boots into any OS, be it on the hard drive or on CD.

Anybody have a clue? The beep codes don't tell me much because they said Award BIOSes only beep in case of no graphics card, and any error would be reported on screen. But nothing is noted on screen...

Thanks for any help,

Maan